Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Next year or do I have to rent a time machine?
    NASA is retiring our time machines, so 2011 it is!

HMMMM 30 miles on the Sewanee. Now that sounds like a nice winter hike.

Ok I am planning this hike again.
    I plan to start on the 30th and end on the 3rd of July
    I have not planned anything for work that might get me hurt before the hike.
    I will also need a ride back to White Springs after so I can get back to my car.

the suwannee is near record lows...the fires are burning...it's nasty hot and humid...why the heck would you want to hike here....i'm heading to maine @ the end of june...hope to be in georgia around thanksgiving.......if you go...hope you have a great hike....better in january or february though
    ATC Life Member
    The only thing in life you have total control of is your attitude

record lows is good for me.
    I will look for sharks teeth and arrow heads and stuff.....

It is hot but this is the only time my kids are out of town for a good bit of time.
    Good luck on the trail. I hope to do it someday...... Probably when I retire.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I understand having to work within your kids' schedule but I don't envy you hiking in all this smoke. Jax is horrible right now. Hopefully that area is somewhat clear. Beautiful section for sure.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

shannan.....hope you have a great hike......thanks for your well wishes on my hike...been dreaming about it for over 20 years...my 28 year old daughter is going with me which makes it the best......started her backpacking at 8 years old....i canoed the suwannee from fargo to the gulf in 2008...great trip.....i recommend a nice sandy beach...which there will be plenty of with the low water....i wish you clean air and a fabulous trip.....
    ATC Life Member
    The only thing in life you have total control of is your attitude

I have my girls hiking with me too. They like it. I like to get out by myself sometimes and find good spots for us to go.
    I didn't know there was a smoke issue up there. Can someone close to White Springs or in that area let me know where fires are burning?
    Hopefully the rain tonight helped and didn't start too many more lightning fires.
    I looked for a fire or smoke map of florida and the Div of Forestry has something they call a smoke site but I didn't figure out how to navigate it properly.

I have some friends that live near the Suwannee River State Park, they are saying that the smoke seems to be clearing slowly, but still enough to cause your eye's to burn. Hopefully it will clear completely by the 30th. I was there before the fires started up, nice hiking weather, but both the Suwannee and the Withlacoochee were very low. But you're right, good for finding shark teeth.

Give the Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park a call at (386) 397-2733, they're in White Springs and can most likely give you a report on the conditions.

Thanks, I will do that.

aka Kudzu
    Images

As of 8am this morning there are 422 wildfires burning throughout Florida. Most of them are along the Atlantic coast in counties such as Flagler and Volusia. However, other counties such as Gulf, Levy, Bradford, and Osceola (to name a few) are likewise affected. Click the image to view full-size.

JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++