WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Lightweight Tent (NOT Tarp or Hammock)**

I've been away from backpacking for a few years and gradually gearing back up.
    I now have everything but a tent. I like a little extra room... I went to Waterstone Outdoors a few months ago and we set up a Hubba Hubba. I thought it was okay...I'm NOT a Thru-Hiker. Just plan to get out there and enjoy some short trips on the A/T and elsewhere. Probably wouldn't exceed 8 miles in a day... Any suggestions on a good sized solo tent or a light,
    good quality, 2 man tent ?? I don't use trekking poles, but I'm open-minded.
    Plan to investigate SMD Solo and Duo...
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brotheral View Post
    Plan to investigate SMD Solo and Duo...
    I have both of these tents and either would be an excellent choice though I am biased towards the duo because it has so much room at only a lb or so more than the solo.

Garlic
    Images

Tarptent.com is also popular with thru-hikers with lighter packs. I wouldn't trade my Contrail model for anything for three-season hiking.

The Hubba was perhaps the most popular double-wall tent I saw on the trail in '08. The Hubba looked extremely secure and durable, and free-standing (a great advantage at times), but with the disadvantages of higher cost, more weight, less floor room, and more complex set-up.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

PS: If you really think you'll stick to the eight miles per day plan, you'll likely be spending a lot of time in the tent in inclement conditions, so you might want to get a double-wall. The disadvantages of the single wall include more condensation issues next to your sleeping insulation and you need to be fussy about ventilation and campsite selection. The single wall is really better for the hiker who walks all day, no matter the weather, and only stops to sleep.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Default LightHeart Solo

Check out the LightHeart Solo (www.lightheartgear.com). It is really roomy and weighs only 27 ounces.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
    Check out the LightHeart Solo (www.lightheartgear.com). It is really roomy and weighs only 27 ounces.
    +1 on the lightheart tents! its definitely gonna be my next tent! i met judy at the hiker bash in franklin...i almost bought one on the spot! maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

I'm a tall guy (6'3") and love big agnes tents. Look into the Seedhouse SL1 and SL2. It's not as light as tents mentioned in this thread, however I can stretch out without touching the ends.

my 5 man weighs 2 lbs. with a stovejack. no floor or netting though.

www.wyominglostandfund.com

Images

Tarptent Moment is my current favorite solo tent. Easy to set up and plenty of room for a big guy solo hiker and gear.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Tarptent Moment is my current favorite solo tent. Easy to set up and plenty of room for a big guy solo hiker and gear.
    Are you familiar with the Lunar Solo? I'd like to hear a compare/contrast between the Solo and Moment.

I like the Solo ok - enough to make it my home for the next 2 months - but it needs just a bit more room for me to really, really like it.

I love the Duo...

What I want is a Solo and a half..

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Are you familiar with the Lunar Solo? I'd like to hear a compare/contrast between the Solo and Moment.

I like the Solo ok - enough to make it my home for the next 2 months - but it needs just a bit more room for me to really, really like it.

I love the Duo...

ever wh

I say the Moment. It should fit the bill just fine, or the Squall.. Lots of room. One thing I like about the Moment is that it is free standing which isn't found in any other trap/tents such as SMD.. The Duo is a quarter more in price, 310$ which is a little above for a light weight tent, to me anyway..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

I tried a Lunar Solo and didn't quite have enough room. We own a Lunar Duo and LOVE IT.

My new Tarptent Moment is exactly a Solo and a Half. It's plenty long enough for me at 6-2 and 210 lbs (and I've seen a bigger guy in it.) It's very wide in the middle, with a decent vestibule and lots of sit-up-and-move-around headroom.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Backpacking light.com just did a review of the LightHeart Solo tent, check it out
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=29373

Images

There is also a you tube video of it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZsbeJsibRo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Backpacking light.com just did a review of the LightHeart Solo tent, check it out
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=29373
    Thanks Heartfire !! I'll have to check it out in the morning... It's getting past my bed time...
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Ditto on the Big Agnes Seedhouse2. It's not all that heavy, I can stretch out and sit up in it. Nice in bad weather.

I just uploaded a quick tour of the Moment using bits I shot for the seam-sealing clip.
    Another day I will shoot a more detailed one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwgws6vem88
    Franco

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The LightHeart Solo looks interesting. BPL says my NeoAIr which is 77" long will easily fit in it. I like being able to have the mesh sides open for hot weather. It's not free standing like my TT Rainbow which comes in handy on those tent platforms. $235, not bad for a quality tent, I might consider one. The owner of LightHeart posted on BPL that the production was recently outsourced, wonder if that will effect quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    The LightHeart Solo looks interesting. BPL says my NeoAIr which is 77" long will easily fit in it. I like being able to have the mesh sides open for hot weather. It's not free standing like my TT Rainbow which comes in handy on those tent platforms. $235, not bad for a quality tent, I might consider one. The owner of LightHeart posted on BPL that the production was recently outsourced, wonder if that will effect quality?
    If you enjoyed the Rainbow, why not look into the Moment? It to is freestanding..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

I have a Moment so will toss in my two cents. Love those Moment puns!
    I usually leave the free standing crossing pole at home to save weight.
    It only takes two pegs to set up without the extra pole.
    Maybe two more if the wind gets up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++