WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I was up here this past weekend. Someone had put up a tarp to keep the wind out. It was cold, windy and some rain. The trees and bushes around the shelter were coated in ice.
    Looks like the same tarp that was up back in March. It sure came in handy, the temps were in the teens and the wind was blowing!

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Thumbs up Condition Report

As of 10-10-06 the shelter and environs were in good shape. The overall condition, layout, and view from this shelter place it in my top ten.

I think I just got an idea for a new thread.......!
    Be Prepared

Images

Default Parking Permit(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    As of 10-10-06 the shelter and environs were in good shape. The overall condition, layout, and view from this shelter place it in my top ten.

I think I just got an idea for a new thread.......!
    Did you park at Newfound Gap? If so, did you have to get a permit for your car and one for the shelter? I was thinking of doing a loop hike from Newfound with one night definitely at Icewater Springs. That's an awesome shelter...

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Post Red Tape

Quote Originally Posted by khaynie View Post
    Did you park at Newfound Gap? If so, did you have to get a permit for your car and one for the shelter? I was thinking of doing a loop hike from Newfound with one night definitely at Icewater Springs. That's an awesome shelter...
    In GSMNP there are no parking permits. But you better have a backcountry permit anytime you backcountry camp in a national park. Fines can be imposed by rangers. In GSMNP reservations are required for shelters along the AT, leaving a few spots for thruhikers in season.

I can't imagine a good scene where permit holders are bumped by the "unpermited"!
    Be Prepared

Images

In GSMNP there are no parking permits. But you better have a backcountry permit anytime you backcountry camp in a national park. Fines can be imposed by rangers. In GSMNP reservations are required for shelters along the AT, leaving a few spots for thruhikers in season.

I can't imagine a good scene where permit holders are bumped by the "unpermited"!

since this shelter is so close to the road it does get people who don't have permits. They will tell you they do. You may have to ask to see it. I have heard of some problems because of this.

As far as thru-hikers, they have a few spots reserved for them yr round. I ran into a guy this past weekend who was section hiking down to Springer so because he was thru-hiking in the park he gets a spot. Now he has to register as a trhu-hiker at the ranger station to get one.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Default Clarification

I meant to say could you p/u permits (backcountry or parking) at Newfound Gap. Thanks for clarifying the parking permits issue.

We p/u our backcountry permits last year just North of Davenport Gap since we forgot to in Hot Springs. Just didn't remember whether or not you could get a backcountry permit at Newfound Gap as this seems to be a good spot to park for many sectioners.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by khaynie View Post
    Just didn't remember whether or not you could get a backcountry permit at Newfound Gap as this seems to be a good spot to park for many sectioners.
    If you called ahead to make reservations and have your confirmation # you can just write it on your backcountry permit. I cannot remember if you can get the permit and drop it off at Newfound Gap, but the backcountry reservation office is at Sugarlands Visitor Center which you'll be driving past if you're coming from the north, and if it is before or after hours you can self register there as well.

If you didn't call ahead for reservations you'll have to stop at the backcountry office to make one for shelters and the few rationed campsites in the park. Good luck getting in at the last minute, if you're going to do that you should have 3 or 4 alternative routes in mind just in case. You can make reservations beginning 30 days out and I've found it's best to try and make them exactly 30 days out for best results.

My understanding of the rule is that thru-hikers don't need permits but if the shelter is full they're reqiured to use their tents at the shelter site. And they are the only people allowed to use tents on the A.T. in GSMNP.

I talked to a park Ranger a couple years ago and he said that on New Year's Eve one year he went up to Mt. LeConte Shelter and found 30 people in it, not one of them with a permit (the shelter only holds 12 I believe). I don't remember what the fine amount was, but it was substantial enough that I wouldn't consider trying to squat w/o a reservation/permit unless it was an emergency.
    And tho our health we drank a thousand times, it's time to ramble on...

Registered User Chris_Asheville's Avatar
    Images

Default Laurel Gap

Is anyone familiar with the shelter S. of Cosby Knob in the Smokys called Laurel Gap? Looks like we're going to spend an evening there this weekend.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Asheville View Post
    Looks like we're going to spend an evening there this weekend.
    What's your route for this weekend? I was considering a hike out-and-back to this shelter late next month (I'm introducing some friends to backpacking and wanted to give them a short and relatively easy route for their first time), but the shortest routes to this shelter are off of Balsam Mountain Road or Straight Fork Road, both of which are closed for the season (until May I believe).

We may push back the trip to allow for this route anyway, so I'd like to hear about this shelter as well.
    And tho our health we drank a thousand times, it's time to ramble on...

Images

Is anyone familiar with the shelter S. of Cosby Knob in the Smokys called Laurel Gap? Looks like we're going to spend an evening there this weekend.
    I could be wrong, but if memory serves me right, tri-corner knob shelter is the next shelter S on AT. Davenport Gap shelter would be next shelter N on AT. I think the shelter south of Camp Creek Bald is Laurel shelter.?.

Registered User Chris_Asheville's Avatar
    Images

Gray,
    I was mistaken. The shelter is S. of Tri-corner off the AT. It's about 5 miles South down on the way to Cataloochee.
    NonPig, we are starting at Newfound on Friday, heading up to Peck's Corner for the night and down to Laurel Gap Sat. night. Sunday we are hiking out to Cataloochee. It's a tough 30 miler. I am, as well, taking a baby who has yet to do more than 6 miles.
    I'll let everyone know about the shelter. As far as I know, it has a bear fence around it.

Images

Gray,
    I was mistaken. The shelter is S. of Tri-corner off the AT. It's about 5 miles South down on the way to Cataloochee.
    NonPig, we are starting at Newfound on Friday, heading up to Peck's Corner for the night and down to Laurel Gap Sat. night. Sunday we are hiking out to Cataloochee. It's a tough 30 miler. I am, as well, taking a baby who has yet to do more than 6 miles.
    I'll let everyone know about the shelter. As far as I know, it has a bear fence around it.
    I thought maybe that was what you meant by s of Cosby. I haven't been there. I've been along Sterling Ridge to Cataloochee Balsam and then N to Tri-corner. The Blasam Ridge(?) trail to the AT was pretty overgrown at the time. Have fun. It is a beautiful semi-remote area.

Boy- the memories of this place. Used to go up to this shelter in my early 20's all the time. Around the early 90's. I always remember the night hike up to it with ice crystals everywhere and the lights below. That area really speaks to my soul. I've included a drawing I did of the shelter in the early 90's. Boy- did it look different then. Just remember the mice of Icewater! The dreams and possibilities this life affords and that age came together and created many great nights of dreaming beneath the stars. I hope others find it as great as I do. Happy trails.
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And then sits in peace with or without our presence. me.

Default drawing

Sorry - here is the drawing in horizontal.
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And then sits in peace with or without our presence. me.

Images

Wow! That's snazzy!

Nice.........

Images

Question

That sketch must be of the "old" version? Are we talking Icewater Springs Shelter? It doesn't look like that for some time now.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Yeah- I drew it in 1991 after a weekend trip I took in that area. It really was so different then.

Default Long ago

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I was up here this past weekend. Someone had put up a tarp to keep the wind out. It was cold, windy and some rain. The trees and bushes around the shelter were coated in ice.

Spent my first night on the 64AT, as a Boy Scout, in 1964 in this shelter. It has surely been improved!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++