WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bug Dope Choices

With summer getting near, bugs are officially upon us. I am not a big deet fan, but have given in at times. I'm heading out mid June to go thru GSMNP to Hot Springs & was just wondering about bug dope choices currently in favor. Ben's? Repel? Skin so Soft? If you have to use this stuff, what works? Thanks for any good input.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

I try to keep my wife close. Bugs find her yummy. She has to wear a protective head net, just to work in our yard. However, when she's not around, I'll use DEET. I'll put it on a bandanna, worn loosely around my neck, and, perhaps, one hanging out of a back pocket and that seems to do it. The Buzz-Off line of clothing seems to work also - if you can come to terms with wearing pyrethrin next to your skin...

Backpacker
    Images

get a pouch of bugler and start rolling

Hiked GSMP last year in June. Only bug were gnats (or what every they are) that occasionally bite. These seem to only gather when I camp so I generally can ignore these and I don't use any bug stuff. I do wear a hat (Columbia Schooner Bank II Cachalot Hat) and a bandana (Exofficio Insect Shield Bandana )around the neck. But, just in case, I do carry 100% DEET wipes.

Garlic
    Images

I don't use DEET after my wife had respiratory and tachycardia issues following its use. I will spray Permethrin on my clothing, but just once a year at the height of the season. Choose your poison, I guess. Generally, I either cover up with lightweight clothing and a head net, or just grin and bear it. Mosquitoes and black flies don't bother me as much as they bother others.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

For just flying biting insects like mosquitos, gnats, or mediocre black fly swarms(not Alaska or Montana biblical plague sized in Aug) I, and others who I have given it to sample(about 12 people), have had very good results with the Don't Bite Me Transdermal Patches. You slap a patch onto your bare butt and 2 hrs later and for about 24 hrs time(although the company says the patches work for 36 hrs) everyone I gave it to said it definitely brought the flying buzzing blood sucking insanity to a halt. Might be worth a try for someone not wanting to put chemicals on their skin or clothing. It's made from aloe and vitamin B1. It has worked for me and about 12 others deterring the insects I mentioned. Friendly for child use too.

3M Ultrathon.

Put some in a sandwich baggie, invert baggie, smear it around. Put in your pocket.

When you need some, re-invert it and use the baggie like a glove to apply a scant amount to exposed skin (which will just be your face/neck and the back of your hands).

Put the baggie back in your pocket for the next day.

Thanks to all for your good advice. I knew there were a lot of choices out there, better than just slathering on Ben's Bug Spray. First of all, I thank Tide-HSV for suggesting that his wife go with me. Do you really think she will want to do this? If not, I may check out Dogwood's bare butt patch, as it seems to work & not be a lethal chemical. Keep those good ideas coming!
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Images

My wife has a bug repellant thet uses eucolyptus oil as the main ingrediant. I don't have it handy so I can't give youthe brand, or name. It works pretty well but when I use it I have to apply it more often because it comes off when I sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    First of all, I thank Tide-HSV for suggesting that his wife go with me. Do you really think she will want to do this?
    Only the bugs and I are allowed a nibble...

Definitely the 3M Ultrathon. A couple years ago it was rated #1 by Backpacker magazine and I haven't found anything to top it!

Images

I have a real problem with spraying poison on myself. I figure if it is bad for the bugs it can't be good for me. I use lemon oil that I bought at the Healthy Life Market. You have to reaply it more often, but it works. Just a few drops on your wrist and neck do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    My wife has a bug repellant thet uses eucolyptus oil as the main ingrediant. I don't have it handy so I can't give youthe brand, or name. It works pretty well but when I use it I have to apply it more often because it comes off when I sweet.
    You may be referring to Repel Lemon Eucalyptus(extract from Eucalyptus cittriodora) spray or lotion. It works well for repelling mosquitos and ticks. Supposedly, safer than some other repellants and preferred by some over DEET or Permethrin. Should go without saying but, absolutely, don't get the Repel in your eyes. This product can irritate some user's skin.

Directions say only use only twice a day, which is what some hikers will not do. If a little is good a lot is better. Let's take a bath in the stuff, as long as it stops the itching and biting.

Not advised for children under 3 yrs old. I would like to know why?

Picardin is another insect repellant sometimes preferred by some because it's deemed safer than DEET or Permethrin.

REI's Jungle Juice

Images

Cover up and avoid red clothing

I use any of the sprays that have 20% picaridin with good results

Images

Eat lots of garlic, it also repels other hikers!
    -milkman

got soul?

When I was a kid, the only bug dope I was aware of was Old Woodsman. If you ever used the stuff, you'd never forget the smell. Gawd it was nasty! You could paint yourself with creosote and not smell any worse.

But in a strange way, I kinda liked the stuff. I suppose, it's sorta like Moxie or horehound candy; unique enough to make it attractive.

These days I prefer to treat my clothing with permethrin, if anything at all. I often go without. Bugs have to eat too!
    Roland

Images

You liked it because it was considered "manly" to be able to tolerate the stuff back then. What was the main ingredient- kerosene?

That was some vile stuff.

Images

When we were living in Russia kerosene-soaked rags were recommended to us for keeping mosquitoes out of a canvas tent. I think the real secret was drinking so much vodka you could fall asleep even if there were mosquitoes on every inch of bare skin. Myself, I prefer a screened tent.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++