WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

I thought Moonshine is why Dinos went extinct???

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    I thought Moonshine is why Dinos went extinct???
    No, but the lead in it might have something to do with the brain damage many believe we Dinos might have.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    As much of a hassle it would be for LEOs, the only way to curb illegal activity is to arrest all offenders.

Ever been to Mardi Gras? The NOPD LEOs do an exceptional job dealing with the hundreds of thousands of people at the world's biggest party for most of a full month. They do not do it by arresting all offenders. They do it through threat analysis.

Sheesh. CT Trail Days is nothing like this...

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

I dunno what all the fuss is about. I had a great time, both partying at the camping area and walking around town. Did some of the events during the day, got advice for my upcoming thru from MRO and Damascus Outfitters, and went back to party at night.

Were there cops there? Hell yeah. Did they hassle people who weren't acting like total idiots? Not at all.

I'm of legal age with ID, was discrete with my other activities, and didn't start any trouble. In other words, I had a number of good conversations with the local law enforcement and didn't get hassled ONCE. They seemed like great guys. Kermit looked a little worn out when I saw him Monday at Dairy King, but that was to be expected. Frankly, I think they did a great job. The people that acted dumb got busted. The ones who kept their cool and acted like decent human beings got left alone....all seems in order.

Can't wait to hike in next year and do it all over again.
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    define invasive. if you have something to hide like open containers weed or moonshine then you might think their presence is invasive
    well ya know.....if you parade around the campground with illegal substances, then you must be prepared to face the consequences of your actions

Images

Have "guest" wristbands for 2-3 per camper based on sponsorship and camper name. This prevents walk-ins but allows visitors who are wanted.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Hey, I've got a novel idea......

Obey the laws and you don't have to worry about going to jail!!!

Does that include untaxed liquor?
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Sheesh. CT Trail Days is nothing like this...
    Yeah. Just a lot of baking, and... stuff.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    Ever been to Mardi Gras? The NOPD LEOs do an exceptional job dealing with the hundreds of thousands of people at the world's biggest party for most of a full month. They do not do it by arresting all offenders. They do it through threat analysis.
    And that is the choice of the NOPD. Damascus and Trail Days are on a completely different scale. At this point, the crowds at TD still remain manageable. Unless the LEO's choose to go the route you suggest, (which I feel would be the more reasonable route), arresting all who break the law is the most viable solution.
    Yahtzee

Quote Originally Posted by safn1949 View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me the people who break the law and then get caught who say "but I was just..." fill in the blanks.

Newsflash....public intoxication and possession of weed is illegal there.As in against the law.Hello....you don't want get arrested,don't break the law.It really is that simple.

Have you ever heard of Rosa Parks or any of the many other people who have resisted unjust laws to give you the freedom you enjoy?

Please do us a favor, purchase and read this book :http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies.../dp/1594032556, and then proptly report to you local PD, drop you pants and then bend over.

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Does that include untaxed liquor?
    hahaha! i was just thinking the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    .... arresting all who break the law is the most viable solution.
    All?

Good luck with that.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Yeah. Just a lot of baking, and... stuff.
    no baking, ceptin' cooking foil meals over the campfire after a day of white water rafting, volleyball, and hanging with friends

Wink

Jeez lighten up. You are all absolutely correct. I am the Smoke monster and I should be banned from the purity of citizens of Damascus. Yes, I was publicly intoxicated and used an illegal herb and I really should be publicly stoned (to death).
    Sorry I mistook a Fire Department vehicle for a LEO vehicle. I wasn't in a condition to walk up to the vehicle for closer inspection.
    I might come back just just to annoy those of you whom can't accept any view other than your own. I'll be smoking a giant bong surrounded by my Taliban security posse. We'll be in the new "Alah Akbar" section of tent city
    Somehow larger venues, on PRIVATE property, with security, manage to survive drug and alcohol consumption without arresting people strictly for possession for it. Example: Bonaroo. If California legallizes ALL pot in November...wow! End of the world. Right? Not.
    Bad behavior is one thing, consumption is another. (Remember Prohibition?) The whole open cup vs. a beer can or Nalgene full of hooch is a joke. LEO know what's inside the cup.
    In all honesty: I will be back when I finish the AT. But my name won't be Morpheus.
    It is preoccupation with possession, more than anything else that prevents men from living freely and nobly. B. Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    free camping + non-hikers = no control. this "festival" like many others, has turned into a major party. next year will be different. one entrance/exit and campers will be charged a fee and have wrist bands.
    the local and county LEOs did a damn good job controlling what little they could
    I gotta agree with you on this one, dont fall over in shock. We didnt go this year because of the free for all, we knew it spelled trouble and apparently it did with the raping of a non hiker female.
    There needs to be order at these functions. I have the utmost respect for the LEO's that have to put up with the BS that comes along with this festival

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    The whole open cup vs. a beer can or Nalgene full of hooch is a joke. LEO know what's inside the cup.
    I thought that was silly at first too, until I pondered it a bit. I came to appreciate the "rule".

It is an unwritten rule that creates a level of balance between the written rule and what is going to be allowed. LEO is not saying they are going to ignore the law, but rather saying please give me reason to look the other way.

If one cannot/refuses to follow this simple rule, they deserve further scrutiny. I one DOES follow the rule it shows an effort to behave.

I like it.

I used a cup all weekend, but I would have rather used a can cozy!
    It is preoccupation with possession, more than anything else that prevents men from living freely and nobly. B. Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I used a cup all weekend, but I would have rather used a can cozy!
    I never used anything other than an original container all weekend.....no problems.

I guess Diet Coke was OK.......

Quote Originally Posted by IsNotAHome View Post
    Have you ever heard of Rosa Parks or any of the many other people who have resisted unjust laws to give you the freedom you enjoy?

Please do us a favor, purchase and read this book :http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies.../dp/1594032556, and then proptly report to you local PD, drop you pants and then bend over.
    Wow dude, there is a difference between laws that discriminate people of color and recreational drug use. Jump on a soap box somewhere else. Its still illegal whether you like it or not

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++