WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Exclamation IN the "spirit" of October 31

Halloween wishes & a warning
    HAPPY HALLOWEEN ! ! !
    ~ RED WOLF O'DA SMOKY'S

WARNING: Keep your booz away from your pumpkins (see card attachment below)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    funny how the incident never made the local TV news or newspapers in the days following the rape

Thanks for the follow up Wolf. My guess is that not 1 in 100 hikers have heard of this, or ever will.

That's remarkable.

My guess is that many good people prefer it that way, out of a misguided perception that it is better to present all aspects of the Trail in an unrealistically sanguine light.

I think differently, though.
    Last edited by rickb; 10-30-2010 at 15:21.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
    Halloween wishes & a warning
    HAPPY HALLOWEEN ! ! !
    ~ RED WOLF O'DA SMOKY'S

WARNING: Keep your booz away from your pumpkins (see card attachment below)
    LOL thats hilarious.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Thanks for the follow up Wolf. My guess is that not 1 in 100 hikers have heard of this, or ever will.

That's remarkable.

My guess is that many good people prefer it that way, out of a misguided perception that it is better to present all aspects of the Trail in an unrealistically sanguine light.

I knew about it because the police took the girl through our camping area. The guy involved is from North Carolina, and has a history of trouble with the law (much of it involving cocaine). I only know that because I checked up on his past.

My guess is that coverage of this has little to do with people's perceptions vis a vis the trail and more to do with the local community. There's no reason on earth that local news stations or newspapers would downplay the event out of some attitude regarding the AT. Southern newsrooms aren't full of thru-hikers.

I suspect that if the perpetrator had been a hiker or a local, it would have received more play. But that's not the case.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

i like cops. i like damascus. i like damascus cops. i like trail days. i like arrests. i like jail for criminals. i like all of you. i like hiking. i like partying. i like not partying when told not to. i like people who dont party. i like the whole world. i love god.

Journal Entries
    Images

There's no reason on earth that local news stations or newspapers would downplay the event out of some attitude regarding the AT.

I am sure you are right on that, Jester. But this is one of the premier events in a small town, right? If Wolf reported correctly, this lack of info is interesting like he said.

Mostly I hope that this is "a big deal" to organizers and to those who make false assumptions about their safety on the Trail and at events like this.

It is good to hear that the alleged rapist was not a hiker-- I think that is implied by your last post. Can the same be said for the woman?
    Last edited by rickb; 10-31-2010 at 07:33.

human misbehavior is evident regardless of all the human conditions that exist save one.the behavior of man is both fluidic and unchanged since his birth.only objective conciderations develop patterns we call good. i personaly belive good is comming and has been allways. bad aint got a hope. duh. hes goin down. traildays will be utopia in the presession of my little modle of hikerdom. just a well spelled thaught.

I wasnt even there and I heard about it within a day of it happening.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    I wasnt even there and I heard about it within a day of it happening.
    OK. What did you hear?

Do you know if the reported rape victim was a hiker?

The only mention other than in this thread I have seen was Wolf's link. I was most disturbed to read this part:

According to court records, onlookers saw a man pull a sleeping bag up over a woman’s head and, while she mumbled “stop,” he said “who cares if she’s passed out.”
    Yikes.

This is not the first tragedy reported at a hiker event, but I think it may be the most shocking. No mention of it anywhere on White Blaze other than in this thread. And even in this thread, it is hardly the focus.

OK. What did you hear?

The only mention other than in this thread I have seen was Wolf's link. I was most disturbed to read this part:

Yikes.

This is not the first tragedy reported at a hiker event, but I think it may be the most shocking. No mention of it anywhere on White Blaze other than in this thread. And even in this thread, it is hardly the focus.
    I had heard from a friend who's children had witnessed it. We got a call about it on Sunday. I remember the thread that was on here and there was a big to do about it. I think it has since been deleted because of the controversy surrounding it. I do remember the discussion about it on this site. Its a sad story and very tragic but why are you looking for there to be so much focus on it. Im sorry for the young girl that had to go through the ordeal. The guy should be castrated. The town of Damascus seems to have taken note and they are working on making improvements to security. Unfortunately, with large events like this, hiker or non hiker, these types of things will happen. Its a sad world we live in and a sad reality. My heart goes out to that young girl.
    I scrolled through some of the threads and it seems that the thread got deleted.

Journal Entries
    Images

That's remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    I knew about it because the police took the girl through our camping area. The guy involved is from North Carolina, and has a history of trouble with the law (much of it involving cocaine). I only know that because I checked up on his past.

My guess is that coverage of this has little to do with people's perceptions vis a vis the trail and more to do with the local community. There's no reason on earth that local news stations or newspapers would downplay the event out of some attitude regarding the AT. Southern newsrooms aren't full of thru-hikers.

I suspect that if the perpetrator had been a hiker or a local, it would have received more play. But that's not the case.
    I am sure you are right on that, Jester. But this is one of the premier events in a small town, right? If Wolf reported correctly, this lack of info is interesting like he said.

Mostly I hope that this is "a big deal" to organizers and to those who make false assumptions about their safety on the Trail and at events like this.

It is good to hear that the alleged rapist was not a hiker-- I think that is implied by your last post. Can the same be said for the woman?
    OK. What did you hear?

Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    here's a bit in today's paper. last few paragraphs op the article
    http://www2.tricities.com/business/2...und-ar-604509/
    The reason that this was not plastered all over the news as I am well informed is because it would put a bad mark on an event that brings a lot of money into this community..........

Journal Entries
    Images

I just deleated my Post.

I will wait until after the trial before posting again.
    Last edited by rickb; 11-01-2010 at 19:06.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just deleated my post.

I will wait until after the trial before posting again.

Journal Entries
    Images

Bailey is scheduled for trial at 9 a.m. Nov. 22.
    Did justice prevail?

I've been to Trail Days a few times, the last was in 2008 on my last hike. I don't think I will go to another one, I can't see why I would.

The cops in 2008 were reasonable, they asked us if we were going to drink, we said yes, they said keep in in a cup, if we see a bottle or can you are going to have a problem...then they gave us cups for this.

Second they mentioned if we planned to smoke illegal substances, it would be in our best interest to do so very discreetly, because if they saw it out in the open they would have to act. They asked us not to put them in that position.

The thing that I remember most about the cops at Trail Days in 2008 was them riding around on a quad, I was way in the back of the quiet zone, which was not quiet, sitting by a fire having a beer (in a can!) and they pulled up about 200 feet away and said hello, I thought I was going to get nailed for open container. They asked me if I needed any more ice?

So...in my experience, the cops are not the problem, the people who attend are. Personally speaking, I think Trail Days should be shut down. It has strayed so far from it's original version in 87 during Wingfoots hike, and has become a giant party.

I haven't been to a Gathering in many years, but I would strongly recommend that over Trail Days from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post

So...in my experience, the cops are not the problem, the people who attend are. Personally speaking, I think Trail Days should be shut down. It has strayed so far from it's original version in 87 during Wingfoots hike, and has become a giant party.
    i agree....

Did justice prevail?
    he went to trial and it's been carried over til march 15th 2011 for a jury trial in circuit court

the thing about that night we suffered watching was the quad getting stuck trying to resque her. i know we can make the paths better for access to emergency vehicals and we will. traildays does suck lately and turnned me off a couple years resently .its the attitude of some that its the utopia of drunken drugged danceing and freeloving that can make it ugly. lwolf is correct.its over. i aint ever goin again cause folks dont know how to have a good time while remaining civil.the gathering is way mature and fun and wholesom. the way traildays once was. thank you for mentioning wingfoot. as kids we idolized dan. later he got bashed in the public eye for reasons maby appropriate and i did lose respect for him but never forgot his kindnes to us. cindy ross and ed garvy and dan used to be our maine sources for info and help and even resque. i still respect what he taught me though. and i wish i had my old philosophers guides from back when they were mimiographed zeens.the cops in damascus cant be comended enough. they have a sticky situation on their hands each year and all hiking season. in general, damascus is the most abused town on the trail,never been to maine,. the place also has a miserable reputation as a place with trouble. thank you wolf . your eforts at the place have made you enemies and gained you great respect from some of us all in the same breath.
    and you i belive have singelhandedly caused the place to remain. unchecked, this situation will leed to the rerouting of our trail far around damascus one day i fear. damascus is the heart of the trail. and its friendlyness has been stolen by some. what would be great is if hikers hiked like we did in the old days.
    any hiker doing anything to scar the image of a town was feirsly scolded and taught what was acceptable and hounded off trail if they perssisted in troublemakeing. this was our hiker code, that no one messes with the towns that feed and bath and house us.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    the thing about that night we suffered watching was the quad getting stuck trying to resque her. i know we can make the paths better for access to emergency vehicals and we will. traildays does suck lately and turnned me off a couple years resently .its the attitude of some that its the utopia of drunken drugged danceing and freeloving that can make it ugly. lwolf is correct.its over. i aint ever goin again cause folks dont know how to have a good time while remaining civil.the gathering is way mature and fun and wholesom. the way traildays once was. thank you for mentioning wingfoot. as kids we idolized dan. later he got bashed in the public eye for reasons maby appropriate and i did lose respect for him but never forgot his kindnes to us. cindy ross and ed garvy and dan used to be our maine sources for info and help and even resque. i still respect what he taught me though. and i wish i had my old philosophers guides from back when they were mimiographed zeens.the cops in damascus cant be comended enough. they have a sticky situation on their hands each year and all hiking season. in general, damascus is the most abused town on the trail,never been to maine,. the place also has a miserable reputation as a place with trouble. thank you wolf . your eforts at the place have made you enemies and gained you great respect from some of us all in the same breath.
    and you i belive have singelhandedly caused the place to remain. unchecked, this situation will leed to the rerouting of our trail far around damascus one day i fear. damascus is the heart of the trail. and its friendlyness has been stolen by some. what would be great is if hikers hiked like we did in the old days.
    any hiker doing anything to scar the image of a town was feirsly scolded and taught what was acceptable and hounded off trail if they perssisted in troublemakeing. this was our hiker code, that no one messes with the towns that feed and bath and house us.
    TOW has been equally responsible for running off the riff-raff that gravitates towards "The Place". who knows how much longer it will remain open.

so few folks love and understand TOW as those of us who do. to put it bluntly,...TOW,with all his sterness, and all his soft spots, is more like me than i care to admit. i love tow and allways will. even though hes been mad at me for years for not giving him the love he gives me. im allways bust withmy friends or idiots and could hang with my brother alot more. for a guy who opens his heart to matthewski, i could act a little more respectfull. sometimes i use TOW. and ill stop. he aint just my spare room in damascuss, hes actualy mentored me in ways god loves him for. god bless damascus, each and every one. same with mt rogers family. i could be alot less of an ass when jeff and dave are makeing my hikes what they are,..the best. and packrat too. i need to learn respect for the ones i respect.
    matthewski

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
++ New Posts ++