WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fontana Dam Campground

I am planning on utilizing this place this year on the upcoming section hike. Has anyone used it before in lieu of Hikes Inn?? Being on a budget, it seems half the cost of the Inn. But can I still get resupplied there??

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Springer to Atkins, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    I am planning on utilizing this place this year on the upcoming section hike. Has anyone used it before in lieu of Hikes Inn?? Being on a budget, it seems half the cost of the Inn. But can I still get resupplied there??

Graywolf
    I have camped there one night but I wasn't hiking the trail at the time. I assume you are talking about the camping ground at the base of the dam? If so, it is really not "near the trail". I have not walked down the mountain to it but drove my car down from the village. The village country store did have supplies but somewhat limited and expensive...probably enough to get you up or down the trail several days. cheers.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

You can stay for free at the "Fontana Hilton", the shelter .9 mile before the dam.

This shelter has hot showers available and a number of hikers tented (on gravel) near the shelter while I was there.

Transportation available by phone call for a fee of $3.00 each way.

True the statement that the store inventory is scanty and expensive.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    You can stay for free at the "Fontana Hilton", the shelter .9 mile before the dam.

This shelter has hot showers available and a number of hikers tented (on gravel) near the shelter while I was there.

Transportation available by phone call for a fee of $3.00 each way.

True the statement that the store inventory is scanty and expensive.
    That was my other choice.. I was thinking about the resort campground. Just want to be in a place to resupply before going into the Smokies.. I dont really want to go into gatllinbirg so need enough to get me through..Or take the shuttle to Cherokee..

Who is the transportation??

Graywolf

Springer to Atkins, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    That was my other choice.. I was thinking about the resort campground. Just want to be in a place to resupply before going into the Smokies.. I dont really want to go into gatllinbirg so need enough to get me through..Or take the shuttle to Cherokee..

Who is the transportation??

Graywolf
    You can call for a ride in the visitor store at the dam...I'm guessing it's still open....when I asked at the store...the lady behind the desk...very nice...called someone...5 minutes later a guy showed up and took me into the village....said he worked at the lodge and did shuttles on the side...then it was 2 dollars. You can also use the phone at the marina parking lot. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke View Post
    You can call for a ride in the visitor store at the dam...I'm guessing it's still open....when I asked at the store...the lady behind the desk...very nice...called someone...5 minutes later a guy showed up and took me into the village....said he worked at the lodge and did shuttles on the side...then it was 2 dollars. You can also use the phone at the marina parking lot. cheers.
    \
    Cool, Thanks Cowpoke..lots of good info here...Can you do a maildrop at the Lodge I wonder??

Graywolf

There is the Fontana Dam Post Office is in the same building as the general store. It's the first building on the right if you enter the village from the west entrance off Hwy 28. There is a gas station with small store and burger stand on the corner of 28 at this entrance. This is the second entrance if coming from Fontana Dam.

Their campground is on down the hill (westbound on 28) about 1 mile.

The Post Office is Fontana Dam, NC 28733
    Business hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am-3:00pm. Closed Sat-Sun. (current info from usps.com)

The phone at the damn is gone as of March 15th atleast.

But the courtesy phone, on the trail, at the bathrooms right after the road crossing, 1 mile south of the "Fontana Hilton Shelter" is still there for the 3$ shuttle.

Cell service is terrible to nonexistant here.
    "Today I have grown taller from walking with the trees." Karle Wilson Baker

Quote Originally Posted by BSF-Hiker View Post
    There is the Fontana Dam Post Office is in the same building as the general store. It's the first building on the right if you enter the village from the west entrance off Hwy 28. There is a gas station with small store and burger stand on the corner of 28 at this entrance. This is the second entrance if coming from Fontana Dam.

Their campground is on down the hill (westbound on 28) about 1 mile.

The Post Office is Fontana Dam, NC 28733
    Business hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am-3:00pm. Closed Sat-Sun. (current info from usps.com)

Thanks BSF- This is great information, writing it down now in the guide book..Thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Shuttle needed for July 5th from here

I was quoted $160.00 for a shuttle from the dam to back to our car at Cades Cove, does anyone have any better info on a much less priced shuttle service or possibly a local hiker willing to make $50? Thanks
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

To "wornoutboots" - That shuttle requires about 4 hrs of driving, over somewhat windy, twisty mountain roads. $160 is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    But the courtesy phone, on the trail, at the bathrooms right after the road crossing, 1 mile south of the "Fontana Hilton Shelter" is still there for the 3$ shuttle.

They have a sign posted on the courtesy phone, that they are not doing shuttles to the lodge since it is "past the season for thru hikers"

The sign was there yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I was quoted $160.00 for a shuttle from the dam to back to our car at Cades Cove, does anyone have any better info on a much less priced shuttle service or possibly a local hiker willing to make $50? Thanks
    Chris you should have been there today, I left Fontana this morning and went over Newfound Gap to Cades Cove.

With US129 still closed near Abrams Creek Rd, you have to go from Fontana to Cherokee, Newfound Gap, River Rd to Cades Cove. That's about 105 miles one way, and with all the traffic over the mountain and on River Rd, it takes forever. The route from Fontana west on 28 to 129, then north to Foot Hills Pkwy to Townsend is 52 miles and a lot less traffic.

129 is scheduled to open up the end of July, so if you're leaving after that, you should get a better shuttle price.

Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post

Fontana Village now has some kind of link/repeater for Verizon cell service. Verizon works great inside the main lodge lobby and just outside the door. It's something they have in the lobby. If you get 100 feet away from the lodge lobby, you're back to no service.

Journal Entries
    Images

Gotcha, Hey Thanks for the info I thought it was far but not tht far : / so it makes sense.
    I'm actually heading down that way the 1st week in October to do NF Gap to NOC - what is the best way to get into Fontana Village & back for a resupply?

Springer to Atkins, VA

My recommendation would be to try to get to the Dam as early in the day as possible...don't know if the store at the Dam is open this time of year but there might be someone there that might give you a ride...about 2 miles up to the village. There use to be a phone at the Marina...about 3/4 mile past the Dam on the trail...it would connect with the Lodge...call for a ride. Best of luck and have a great hike...cheers.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks, will do, I may actually stay at the Fontana Hilton the night before.

Journal Entries
    Images

can you tent at the big fire area near the Fontana Hilton??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    can you tent at the big fire area near the Fontana Hilton??
    u....yeah.....................

++ New Posts ++