WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have not been on the AT for more than 6 days in a row. For the terrain I have experienced (all south of Dickey Gap) I average between 1.5 and 2 mph (including breaks). 2 mph ave for a day is pushing it unless it is a smooth section like Hogpen to Unicoi. I just don't have the aerobics to fly up a hill and have to pick my way down rocky declines to avoid injury.

10-15 miles is a comfortable range for this section hiker.

If I was starting a thru I would do LESS miles in the beginning and expect to be in the high teens in a month.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    This figure is nothing but a wide ranginin variable between an individual hiker and the day in front of them. . . . anything else is dissecting a vibrant experience. . . . let the day and the trail come to you as it will . . . . .
    that about sums it up. I have hike one half mile and 20 plus. It doesn't really matter.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default daily milage

In the southern Appalachians I hiked about 15-18 mpd. In the Mid - Atlantic States I hiked about 17-20 mpd. In New Hampshire it dropped off to about 12-15, especially through the White Mts. Southern Maine was about 10-13 mpd.

Images

Well thanks guys and gals I am still a rookie 100 miles and some change section hiking and thought 12-14 was a wimp must not be lol . I haven't been out longer than 3 days so far I do though want to stretch my horizon. I really appreciate the response. it was civil too.
    Please remember the brave men and women of our armed services Without them we would not have the freedom to walk across this great nation.

Images

Over the first month of my hike this year I averaged 5 miles a day.

What I have noticed is that when I dont worry so much about how far Im going to hike and just enjoy the hike itself, miles go by faster. I used to get up in the morning and say...Im going to do 15 miles today. I would be exhausted at the end of the day. Then, I got up one morning and said... I dont care how far I walk today, I just want to enjoy the day. I ended up doing 27 miles that day and still felt pretty good. I have hiked a LOT of 30 mile days on the AT. NONE of them were ever planned that way. They just seemed to happen. I have come to hate being on a schedule and having to make a certain destination by a certain time. It really puts a damper on the enjoyment of the outdoors.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    What I have noticed is that when I dont worry so much about how far Im going to hike and just enjoy the hike itself, miles go by faster. I used to get up in the morning and say...Im going to do 15 miles today. I would be exhausted at the end of the day. Then, I got up one morning and said... I dont care how far I walk today, I just want to enjoy the day. I ended up doing 27 miles that day and still felt pretty good. I have hiked a LOT of 30 mile days on the AT. NONE of them were ever planned that way. They just seemed to happen. I have come to hate being on a schedule and having to make a certain destination by a certain time. It really puts a damper on the enjoyment of the outdoors.
    I know what you mean I get in a hurry to often I just did 32 miles of the LHT and had to do 12 mile days for the shelters you can only camp at the shelters so had to stick to a schedule problem was we always got to them way early then got bored need to pace myself more stop and enjoy the sites longer.
    Please remember the brave men and women of our armed services Without them we would not have the freedom to walk across this great nation.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    . I have come to hate being on a schedule and having to make a certain destination by a certain time. It really puts a damper on the enjoyment of the outdoors.
    I don't carry a watch for this very reason. My day breaks down to walking, sleeping and eating.

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I don't carry a watch for this very reason. My day breaks down to walking, sleeping and eating.
    Me and my dad found that a watch worked well for eating... 2 hours and get a snack... 2 more and lunch... 2 more... snack... 2 more... snack... 2 more... supper... 2 more... sleep...
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

I hike 9-12 miles days or until beer thirty... whichever comes first.

Images

That's pretty much why I wear a watch too. Every hour I make sure I get at least a certain amount of nutrition. Besides that, it helps me know when I should start looking for a campsite, especially when I'm on the side of a ridge that blocks a view of the sun.

I tend to shoot for 12-18 miles on a 'normal' day. The big thing for me is to take a long a break for lunch. I like to get a good bit covered in the morning and then chill and enjoy lunch, chat with whoever is around, etc.

For me, it depends on what the scenery is like. If there are incredible views, I can hike for 10 miles a day and be happy. If there are no views then I will average 25 miles per day.

I have done up to 25 miles in a day hike with just the min.
    But I usually cover about 12-15 miles a day. Of course the heat/humidity whips me pretty good so those days around 10-12 miles day.

Of course,now that I have bone spurs in both feet. It takes awhile to loosen up those calfs and heels may take a mile or two to get into the grind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++