WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Dictionary.com defines the following:

Pass: a narrow route across a relatively low notch or depression in a mountain barrier.

How's that for confusing.

Although, I always thought a pass had to be "passable" in that travel is possible through/over it to the other side of the mountain.

Arden

Journal Entries

I just had to post this:

Where is the "gap"? It's certainly not at the location marked "Davenport Gap".
    Shouldn't it be just below the interstate?

OK. I've said my piece. Now I can get onto bigger things> Pinnacles!

Arden

Arden-"Where is the "gap"? It's certainly not at the location marked "Davenport Gap". Shouldn't it be just below the interstate?"
    This one had me confused when I first did a section back in 1987 but what it comes down to is your point of reference.

A 'gap' (or notch) is defined as a low point along a ridge so it is probably the easiest way to get from one side of the ridge to the other. If the trail was following the ridge line, the gap would be the low point. Because in your example the trail is approaching the ridge from some angle to the side, the gap isn't the lowest point on the trail but still the low point on the ridge. Where the trail profile shows Davenport Gap is where the true gap is. Check out a 3-D view on Google Earth, a topo map, or a trail map and you'll see this is correct.

If you do the JMT you'll find the 'passes' are generally the high points on the trail but they are still a low point along a ridge.

How about "drafts"? They seem to show up in central VA and west-central PA.

Journal Entries

I should have paid more attention in Geography class. I think that was in middle school, not high school
    Actually though, I recall having done fairly well in that class. It was history that bored me to sleep

Arden

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Default Beitrags-oder Ablenkung?

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Der Gipfel des Berges funkelt im Abendsonnenschein.
    Ist das wirklich in die Diskussion einbringen?

Happy Trails und alles, was ...

-Wanderungen mit No-Sweat
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Es geht die Bergen um, so - ja!

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    ....Then, you have mountains in the Himalayas that are just called by alpha-numerics like "K2". It's not "K2 Mountain", or "Mount K2"; Just "K2"....
    My ears are burning .

BTW, Was sind sie alle Reden über? (What are you all talking about?) K2
    K2 Able to leap small twigs with a single bound.
    I did it. I said I’ll do it, and I’ve done it. [after she summited Katahdin] –EMMA ‘GRANDMA’ GATEWOOD

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    My ears are burning .

BTW, Was sind sie alle Reden über? (What are you all talking about?) K2
    I think of skis, when I see "K2." He asked, sort of, if the poetic remark about "alpenglow" was really in the discussion. I replied that, since it concerned mountains, yes, except that I worded my reply in such a manner that a German would understand it but no online translation page could decipher it...

K2 ist eine Frau. (K2 is a woman.)

I guess how gaps, peaks, etc are named has as much to do with why shelters are called, well, shelters, lean-tos, and huts.
    K2
    I did it. I said I’ll do it, and I’ve done it. [after she summited Katahdin] –EMMA ‘GRANDMA’ GATEWOOD

K2 ist eine Frau. (K2 is a woman.)

I guess how gaps, peaks, etc are named has as much to do with why shelters are called, well, shelters, lean-tos, and huts.
    K2
    So, sind Sie "Frau" oder "Fräulein?" I have an entire book on Appalachian names. It's fascinating. Just one example - "Bote Mountain Road." The Cherokee had problems with some English sounds and usually voiced "V" as "B." When the Confederates were planning the road over the main ridge for gunpowder convoys, they asked the advice of the Cherokee. The winning route has since been known as "Bote" ("vote") Mountain. The adjacent, losing ridge is still known as "Defeat Ridge..."

We interrupt this thread for an important announcement:

K2 ist eine Fräulein.

In other words, K2 is a single woman; it makes life much simpler, don't you think?.

And now we return to our regular programming.

We interrupt this thread for an important announcement:

K2 ist eine Fräulein.

In other words, K2 is a single woman; it makes life much simpler, don't you think?.

And now we return to our regular programming.
    Ja, einfacher. BTW, one tricky grammatical rule - when you make a noun diminutive ("lein," "schen"), the gender goes to neutral. So, it's "eine Frau," but "ein Fräulein."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++