WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cabin at High Rocks

Has anyone been to High Rocks lately. If so is the cabin still there and does anyone have any photos of it?

Quote Originally Posted by chelko View Post
    Has anyone been to High Rocks lately. If so is the cabin still there and does anyone have any photos of it?
    In the Smokies?
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Yes, in the Smokies just off the southern end of the the Welch Ridge trail near the start of the Cold Spring Gap trail.

Quote Originally Posted by chelko View Post
    Yes, in the Smokies just off the southern end of the the Welch Ridge trail near the start of the Cold Spring Gap trail.
    I've hiked that trail several times but never bothered to take the spur trail up to the rocks. Never knew there was a cabin up there.

Images

It's the caretaker's cabin for a now-removed fire tower. I think the rangers will rent it out from time to time, but the site is a popular stealth camp site because of the marvelous views afforded by the rock spur.

The cabin is still there but is very, very weathered. When we were there last May, a ranger was there with other film/photograhpy folks in tow desiring to make a plea for re-storing the historic cabin atop "High Rocks". I only wish the firetower still remained since the view could have been even better atop this high elevation view.

This is my initial post, so thanks for inspiring me to join, but also please forgive me since I have not yet figured out how to attach pics. I have a couple pics of the cabin with a weathered blue plastic tarp draped overhead so please be patient while I figure out how to post pics.......

Here's the pics... Hope it works...

BTW, heading out to Cataloochee over the weekend. My first encounter, and hope I see the elk. But if not, at least I'm in the GSMNP, hiking and away from it all. Hope to see you all on the trail!

Images

You'll see the elk as you drive in past the campground and ranger station. Kinda hard to miss them....

Enjoy the hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Parking at the tunnel at the end of the road to nowhere then taking lakeshore trail to whiteoak branch trail to forney creek trail to campsite # 70 then jonas creek trail to welch ridge trail. Side trip to high rocks then bear creek trail to campsite # 75 then out the next day. No elk in that part of the park last i heard.

Images

Chelko thanks for starting this thread. You learn something new every day. I've been hiking up in the Smokies for years and have never heard of this cabin. Thanks for the pics BigMW.
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Chelko,

Sorry, I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread but bigcranky was probably implying I would see the elk in Cataloochee.

Last year we took Lakeshore, Forney Creek, Bear Creek to #75 the first night. Second night we ended up stopping at #70 because of my nephew's knee swelling up. We were supposed to continue on to #69. Anyhow, we had horse friends at #70 who were up hootin' and hollerin' until late in the night! These folks even had horseshoes (the game) and other items stashed around the campground prior to their arrival. They partied pretty hard but I was so tired I didn't really notice that much. Hope you have a much better experience.

BTW, Jonas Creek was kind of a morale killer when we were forced to wade some fairly deep (about knee deep or so) sections we did not anticipate having to ford and ended up getting our boots wet..... Wished we had brought along footware appropriate for wading the creek. Now we have have such attire!!!!

Images

Right, I was talking about elk in Catalootchee. Sorry for the hijack.

The cabin photos were very cool.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Wow, you're right, that cabin is getting in bad shape. Wonder what it would take to get a restoration started before it's too late? Besides money, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by sidebackside View Post
    Chelko thanks for starting this thread. You learn something new every day. I've been hiking up in the Smokies for years and have never heard of this cabin. Thanks for the pics BigMW.
    I'm kicking myself for the times I've hiked right past High Rocks and didn't stop to see it.

Any water by the cabin.

Images

Haven't been there personally, but the info I have says no. Sources are relatively nearby, but you'd have to hump it all there; too far for a casual trip for water. (I also think campng there isn't legal!)

The little brown book says there is a sistern ther for rain water collection that still functions.

I've stealth-camped there, but a long time in the past. Of course, it's totally dry, so all of our water had to be hauled up. I don't know what the water source is for the cabin.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I am headed up to High Rocks next week. Now if Saturday would hurry up I could be on my way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++