WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default No way, no how!!!

Just went to REI. They had the hennessey on sale for $99. Thought this is best chance then any to try this out..Well, here is my thoughts, I HATE IT!! No hammocking for me, NO WAY!! I sat it up us directed on the videos. Thought that would be a good way to check it out. When I sat down on it, (as a chair) it was fine, but then as I proceeded to lay down in side, once there, the ends where it is fastened to the hammock itself unraveled and I went staight down onto my arse..No way, hosey!! I am taking this back tomarrow.. What a piece of junk!! My trusty tarp/tent is just as good, and Im already on the ground..

I am very disappointed..especially with all the hoopdedoo I hear about hammocking..May work for you, but not for me..Gald I tried this out at home before I sat foot on the trail..

Emotionally bruised,

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

You are funny, I know it's not funny but made me chuckle.
    I'm with you on this one, I tried a hammock a long time ago and it wasn't for me either. Tents have been used for hundreds of years. Plus, I prefer to have my gear inside with me.
    I also have a feeling that you are bruised elsewhere than just emotionally. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    You are funny, I know it's not funny but made me chuckle.
    I'm with you on this one, I tried a hammock a long time ago and it wasn't for me either. Tents have been used for hundreds of years. Plus, I prefer to have my gear inside with me.
    I also have a feeling that you are bruised elsewhere than just emotionally. :-)
    Your so right..The other thing I notcied when I was inside, just before coming down, was it was way too cramped for me..I like space..

But right now I like ice..LOL.. yes, I am laughing about it now, so I will laugh with you..

Graywolf

Images

Too funny,
    I always have this picture in my mind, Me snoozing in a hammock off the A.T. and a Black bear using it like a punching bag, with me in it!!! ouch!!

Too funny,
    I always have this picture in my mind, Me snoozing in a hammock off the A.T. and a Black bear using it like a punching bag, with me in it!!! ouch!!
    You know, I have had that same dream before.. I was also thinking, If the bears are getting after the bearbags hanging from the trees, and they see a very BIG bag dangling from the trees, you know they have to be thinking, "T-BONE Steak tonight..Yeah!!!"" Just a thought..

I am going to give the Hammock one more try tomarrow, just to give it a shadow of a dought, but right now, I dought it very much..

I've back-slid to a tent too - too much fiddling to tie off. I like hiking not futzing. I keep gettilg told to look on hammockforums.net for advice but that site to me is like auditing a graduate geology course with only a background in 9th grade earth science. Too much jargon.

Images

That's what you get for buying a Chinese made Hennessy.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post

Thats OK, Ill stick to my American made Tarp/tent..Sooooo much better, and more space..

Images

if you set up a tent wrong would you blame the tent for it?..

Images

Talking

My lovely wife calls my HH "the bear pinata!" OUCH!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by nox2825 View Post
    if you set up a tent wrong would you blame the tent for it?..
    I set the hammock up according to the video.. the tree straps and tie stayed firm, the slip came from where the cord is attached to the hammock.. nope, I didnt set it up wrong.. read the thread

LOL. Sounds like you're still reeling from the unexpected tumble onto your arsee.

Did you get the original bottom entrance(peapod slit) or the newer side entrance designed Hennessey model?

Either way, once you take a tumble from a hammock it tends to be on your mind well into the future.

Images

Hey Graywolf....

You ought to change your name, address, e-mail, and hair color.
    You've spoken ill of the HAMMOCK.
    The Hammock-ateers will be after you now.
    They have seen the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIGHT, and you have dared to draw a cartoon of it.

back to tent-ville, we won't hold your "experimentation" against you.
    What? Me worry??

Images

Well, I will just add that you or anyone can hardly call this an honest, evaluative test of hammocking in general. If, as you say, and I have no reason to doubt you, you set up the hammock properly, then you got a defective hammock. It can and does happen in any industry, cottage or mega manufacturer.

Would you give up driving because your car broke down the first time you drove it? I doubt it.

Sorry for your bad experience, but you owe it to yourself to give it another shot if you can still be objective and think you MAY like it. Your experience was not the norm, obviously, or hanging wouldn't have the following that it does.

Just my opinion. At least you tried it once. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Just went to REI. They had the hennessey on sale for $99. Thought this is best chance then any to try this out..Well, here is my thoughts, I HATE IT!! No hammocking for me, NO WAY!! I sat it up us directed on the videos. Thought that would be a good way to check it out. When I sat down on it, (as a chair) it was fine, but then as I proceeded to lay down in side, once there, the ends where it is fastened to the hammock itself unraveled and I went staight down onto my arse..No way, hosey!! I am taking this back tomarrow.. What a piece of junk!! My trusty tarp/tent is just as good, and Im already on the ground..

I am very disappointed..especially with all the hoopdedoo I hear about hammocking..May work for you, but not for me..Gald I tried this out at home before I sat foot on the trail..

Emotionally bruised,

Graywolf
    One bad experience and he gives up!
    The product was defective - that's the product's fault.
    Obviously a good number of us have been "hanging" for quite a while.
    Crawling on the ground isn't my idea of having fun, but a lot of folks like doing it, so you have lots of company.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    My lovely wife calls my HH "the bear pinata!" OUCH!

RainMan

Somewhere on WB I remember seeing a hammock called a "bear burrito" and a tent a "bear taco." I'll take my chances being a taco.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    On my first HH the bugnet stitching tore out on the first outing. On looking at the area clearly the stitching wasn't correct on that end of the seam. I was able to replace it with a new one but that was an expensive package to mail to Canada and a couple of months without the hammock. The replacement has been fine.

I'd be happy to buy a USA made Speers but I'd still have to attach it to trees. I don't mind the bottom velcro entry or keeping the pack underneath it and behind.

Images

Even with a Speer hammock (excellent quality and design, cottage manufacturer) mistakes can happen during manufacture. I ordered mine several years ago, just before Trail Days I believe it was. I received my hammock, and had to wait a couple of days for an opportunity to try it out. While waiting, I received an email from Ed Speer. It seems that while he was away at Trail Days (or whatever trail event it was) his employees had made an error in how they attached the straps to the hammock, and he advised against using it until I checked the knot used. He offered to repair it if I sent it back, or offered to walk me through the repair over the phone if I gave him a call. I opted for the latter. Upon exam mine was knotted incorrectly. I re-tied the straps as he instructed, and it has been fine ever since.

I do highly recommend Speer Hammocks. I also really like the strapping method Ed Speer uses to attach to the trees. Simple, very effective, easy to adjust, and no knots required. No reason for complicated attachment systems. I have never seen any damage to the tree from his multi-wrap method.

Images

Question Weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    I set the hammock up according to the video.. the tree straps and tie stayed firm, the slip came from where the cord is attached to the hammock.. nope, I didnt set it up wrong.. read the thread
    Were you, perhaps, over the weight limit? I didn't read in the thread anything about that.

And for the record, I have tents, hammocks, tarps, have cowboy camped, and etc., so I have no bias toward hammocks nor prejudices against them.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I went thru the same learning curve, except for equipment failure, that you seemed to have experienced. The Hennessey is like the gateway hammock; we start with it then graduate on to better, higher quality American made equipment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++