WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    I've been worrying about this for awhile now, we need some rain for sure. I don't want to have serious problems finding water on the northern portion of the LT in late August/early September
    As of July 8th NOBO's are reporting water sources in southern VT are fine...lots better than further south on the AT.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

We are planning to hike it SOBO starting this Saturday. I think we will likely plan to ford unless we have a lot of rain just before we get there. If we have heat anything like it has been, the water would feel good.

I will be coming through there on the 19th of September so I'm hoping the bridge is done by then. Is the GMC good about updating trail conditions? From the language I read it does sound like only a three mile easy detour, but apparently that is not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    I will be coming through there on the 19th of September so I'm hoping the bridge is done by then. Is the GMC good about updating trail conditions? From the language I read it does sound like only a three mile easy detour, but apparently that is not the case?

Be advised, just so there is no misunderstanding. That it is 3 miles LONGER, not just 3 miles. It is 3 miles longer counting the normal distance that leg would have taken you. I don't have the data in front of me at the moment, but I think it brings it to like 8 miles or so.

I just forded the river at the same location the bridge is being worked on and believe me it was no problem getting across (I crossed the weekend of the 4th, so that was two weeks ago). Just take your time, watch your step and use common sense-no problems.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

2010 complete

It was hype for me. I crossed it in July and didn't even have to remove my boots. I was able to rock hop and my boots did not get wet. If you take the detour, not only is it longer, but you will miss the very nice view from the ledges.

I'll be getting to Big Branch around Aug 23rd, Cosmor or anyone know if construction of the new bridge will be finished by then?

....I'd rather not do the bypass unless fording the creek will be really hazardous, and no way of knowing now how much rain is coming in the next 4 weeks...

tia

Default Big Branch Crossing

My son and I crossed the Big Branch this past Saturday (7/24). This was after two heavy rains in three days. My son rock hopped just upstream from the bridge and others did the same while we were there. I went a shade up stream, took my boots off and waded through a shallow spot. i used poles to keep me upright on slippery rocks.

The GMC caretakers were recommending the detour if there were heavy rains while or just before crossing. I can see where they would want to be adopting the official line, if only to limit their liability in case of an accident.

We were out for four days (Stratton to Clarendon Gorge), and the crossing was the one continuous topic raised by everyone on the trail north and south of the crossing.

Cosmo or anyone else, do you know if the new Big Branch bridge on the LT will be finished by mid August?

Images

Pretty sure it will be early to mid September before the bridge will be finished.

Manchester Center, VT

Nobody should worry about fording the Big Branch right now. I was just there and it is nothing at all. River level is low and you can actually get across in many places without even getting your feet wet but doing so feels good!

Anyone know if the Big Branch bridge is now complete? None of the info websites have been updated since this summer when they all projected September -- but it's now November (I'd rather not make the chilly ford tomorrow) and I can find anything definitive.

Thanks for any insight!

Images

It opened in mid September 2010.

Manchester Center, VT

Anyone have a photo of the completed bridge? Here's how it looked in mid August:
    "Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++