WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

nice. so here is what i changed my idea to so far. I have decently broad shoulders, so I will need 50'' width.

i want 2 quilts. Both are 50''x 78''. One will have 3'' loft the other will have 2'' loft.

Since I'm 6' tall, I figured I could get by with a 78'' quilt, even if i have to cinch up the bottom as a footbox. Anyway, would it be excessively hot to use the 2'' loft quilt as an underquilt at times?

I figured if I used it as an underquilt in warmer weather I would be fine, but in the cold weather I could double it up, like the poncho liner rig and use that as a thicker underquilt and use a jacket/pad under my feet.
    Thru Hiker in Planning.

another question to satisfy my curiosity... how does one stay warm on the ground in extreme cold weather? a heavy duty pad? I have a thermarest ridgerest(regular) that seems to do the trick nicely in low temps, but I never stayed in it for too long.
    Thru Hiker in Planning.

In general, I think you'll be warmer with the thicker quilt on bottom. So use the 3" as the underquilt and 2" as the top quilt.

But 2" is pretty standard for underquilts. Depending on fit and overstuff, you can probably get to 30-40F with that. Down to ~20F with the 3" one. Double up with both below you and you'll get to zero.

Folding the 2" one in half so you have 4" under you, and 3" on top, and you'll be pretty warm. The trick will be getting a solid fit with a folded-up UQ. You can do it...you'll just have to play around a bit to figure it out.

Search here and hammockforums.net for "partial underquilt" or 2/3 or 3/4 underquilt...that's basically what you're making. Lots of benefits there.

I use a partial UQ, and put a torso-sized CCF pad under my legs when needed. That way I'm carrying the CCF in case I need to go to ground, need a splint for my leg, it acts as the frame for my pack, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Edvvard View Post
    another question to satisfy my curiosity... how does one stay warm on the ground in extreme cold weather? a heavy duty pad? I have a thermarest ridgerest(regular) that seems to do the trick nicely in low temps, but I never stayed in it for too long.
    Yes - the pad is as much for insulation as for comfort. Colder weather means you need a more insulating pad...which generally means thicker. Doesn't necessarily equate to "heavy duty" though...the thermarest neo-air series is pretty lightweight but still warm.

Or two 1/4" CCFs, or a 1/2" CCF, etc.

Images

what's funny is i don't know??? LOL. been down to zero in a hammock, but the coldest on the ground is 40.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

ok. I think i'm set

Only problem is I will need about 27oz of down for my quilts. 15.75 for my 3'' quilt and 10.5 for my 2'' quilt...

I found $6 an oz for 800 fill down. Not sure if that price is good.

Or for that matter the weight of that stuff... my whole set up should weigh just under 3lbs if i did my math right.
    Thru Hiker in Planning.

A few of the vendors on Hammock Forums sell down...if your source doesn't work out, check the guys over there and see what deals you can get.

Oh - and good luck with your projects! Post pics when you're done!

I definitely will. I can't remember exactly who the vendor I'm looking at is, but I know it was someone from HF. I just hope he will still have the down and at a decent price here in a few weeks.

I suppose soon I should get a head start on the quilt itself, though... I do have everything but the down.

I have 2.2 oz ripstop nylon with a DWR coating(glossy) side. I think that's what it is at least.

Anyway, is there a particular way I should sew this? As in, which sides should stick out and such.
    Thru Hiker in Planning.

Most folks use 1.1 oz for quilts. 2.2 oz will work...it's just twice as heavy as you need.

Are you sure it's breathable? Put your mouth on it and see if you can breathe IN thru it. If not, don't use it for a quilt b/c it's waterproof and you most likely don't want a vapor barrier quilt. (I say that b/c of the weight and b/c it has a "glossy" side...it's probably coated nylon, which is goot for tarps, stuffsacks, and backpacks, but not usually used for quilts or clothing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Most folks use 1.1 oz for quilts. 2.2 oz will work...it's just twice as heavy as you need.

Are you sure it's breathable? Put your mouth on it and see if you can breathe IN thru it. If not, don't use it for a quilt b/c it's waterproof and you most likely don't want a vapor barrier quilt. (I say that b/c of the weight and b/c it has a "glossy" side...it's probably coated nylon, which is goot for tarps, stuffsacks, and backpacks, but not usually used for quilts or clothing.)
    My summer top quilt, summer bottom quilt and winter top quilt are all made with DWR 1.1 oz nylon, both sides. I'm camping in very humid conditions and needed the extra protection on my quilts. My winter bottom quilt has a layer of breathable nylon on the side that fits up on the bottom of my hammock, the outer layer is DWR. I've found that they all work well in protecting my down from getting wet BUT with the top quilts I found that condensation from my breathing or just warmth coming off of me was causing the quilt to have a clammy feeling next to me. I ended up adding a very thin layer of silk material to that one side of my top quilts. I also added an overhang of the silk to the head end of the quilts. This then can cover my face during really cold weather and keeps me way warmer. The silk absorbs the condesation and then drys super fast. Again, the only reason I used so much DWR was because of the very high humidity here. My winter under quilt works very well with the breathable nylon but I've found I need to be extra careful packing and unpacking that quilt when it's raining or about to rain.

aw, no! haha.

Well, I have extra uses for this stuff I can make a lightweight jacket for myself and girlfriend i suppose with that stuff, right? Like this?

http://www.thru-hiker.com/kits/lr_shell_kit.php

Anyway, who is a good source for 1.1 oz Nylon? I can't seem to ever find it without a coating.
    Thru Hiker in Planning.

I'd start by checking the bargain bins at the Walmarts around you. If your Walmart has a fabric department (they're being phased out in favor of the party section), you can look for some there. It's $1-2 per yard...great deal. The ladies working there won't know what it is, though, so you'll have to figure it out on your own.

Other than that, I've bought some from thru-hiker.com.

I'll take a look around. The uncoated will not have a glossy side at all will it?
    Thru Hiker in Planning.

Sometimes there's a small difference in the sides, but that's due to calendaring and it's pretty slight compared to the coated stuff.

If it's untreated, you can blow thru it easily.
    If it's DWR, blowing thru it takes some effort.
    If you can't blow thru it at all, it's probably a waterproof material...silnylon, polyurethane coated (which is probably what you have b/c it has a shiny side), etc.

I'll take a look around. The uncoated will not have a glossy side at all will it?
    If you've got towns nearby, check their Wall-marts too. The only way I've been able to tell anything about their material was to try blowing through it. As far as just looking at it and trying to see which side is glossy.... nope, not worked for me.

Also if you have no luck with wallyworld... try

http://www.owfinc.com/

Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics, check out their ripstop nylon. You will need to then call them as what I've found is that they don't update their site as fast as they sell the material. They could be out of the color or actually have different colors than what's listed. Also the 2nds are just as good and cheaper than the 1st quality stuff.

has anyone ever taken a cheap wal mart bag and cut/sewed it into a bottom quilt? i knkow it would be big for backpacking, but for motorcycle camping where extra space could be tolerated...just wondering.

The first Kickass Quilt prototype was made from a TNF bag, and the directions were posted by Patrick on whiteblaze. That grew into the first synthetic UQ on the market. The new KAQs are a different design.

So you can do it, and it'll work for backpacking if you're willing to carry the weight. It wouldn't be all that much.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++