WhiteBlaze Pages 2022
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$5 for printable PDF, AVAILABLE NOW. $9 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Birches vs Katahdin Stream

So I'll be starting my thru July 13th, and I'm not exactly sure where I'll be spending my first night. There are spots open as of right now at KS, tho I assume I'd have to mail off my reservation asap, as there arent that many. Now, my understanding is that the birches is very close to KS? That holds 12 first come first serve, thru hikers or long distance only. Is it usually full? how much further than KS is it located? Supposedly there are no fees to stay at Birches? Tips/Suggestions?

thanks!

I see there is a 10 dollar fee, dont see how I missed that before

Images

I believe The Birches to be for NOBOs who have hiked the 100 miles and have reserved a space for themselves. Refer to Thru-Hiking in Baxter State Park or call them for clarification.

Images

KS is your best bet, and its right on the trail. Like Emerald said, only persons that have hiked at least the 100 mile NOBO can stay at the Birches for the $10 fee. If you can, try to see if there are going to be others that will be starting out around the same time so you can split the cost of a lean-to or tent site.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You have time for reservations, I just sent mine in for another night on June 30

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Katahdin Stream was awesome. It was a relaxing, beautiful place to spend my first (and second) night. Enjoy it!

The birches is just a clearing in the woods with limited facilities the water source is down the road at Katahdin stream. Katahdin Stream is nice but relatively crowded with a lot of car campers. There are some fairly secluded lean tos and campsites on the south side of the stream that are bit more spaced out, but the majority of the sites are quite close together. The widlife at Katahdin stream are very agressive, any food left out for any period will be gone and the racoons are known to chew through coolers. There is a limited view of the mountain from the parking lot at Katahdin Stream plus the ranger station is right there which makes it easy to borrow a day pack.

Formerly Jaws2006
    Journal Entries

Default Something different

If you want to try something different, get a lean-to or tent site at Abol Campground (two miles south of KSC). It also has a ranger station and their sites tend to be more available (they still charge $30).

The point of all of this is that you can climb the Abol Trail up to near Thoreau Spring. You will go over a LOT of bouldars to get to the top (although the distance is shorter than the Hun Trail, scrambling over the bouldars requires effort).

After getting to the top of Katahdin you can just take the Hunt Trail (the actual AT) back down to KSC. If you are a thru-hiker you have stayed "pure" to the Trail.

Of course the logistical problem when you get back to KSC is getting those two miles back to Abol Campground. You might find a ride but probably will have to walk it.

So maybe my idea sucks? But you do get some great views and a different way to go up.

++ New Posts ++