WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default NOBO Laurel Highland Trail ?

Any of you guys or gals do the LHT NOBO I am trying to decipher my map is the accent before or after the ohiopyle shelter how long of a climb is it , Another I am doing the trail in a week and somebody was saying it's normally hikes SOBO because of the accent just curious. Thanks
    Please remember the brave men and women of our armed services Without them we would not have the freedom to walk across this great nation.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i hiked nobo in 2007 and dont remember the ascent being bad. the entire trail is relatively gradual walking.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I have hiked from the road east/north of the OP shelter, down to the shelter, then back out with scouts. I can't say how far the OP shelter is down to the start, but from the OP shelter area to the next road going east is a very stout climb, not real long, maybe a mile, then a level off to the road. The OP shelter area is also a decent descent from the trail itself, which then you must start out from going north/east on the trail. Beautiful thou, and worth it. Just go slo and revel in the view from a point when u get to the top.

The big ascent is after the OP shelters if you're heading NOBO. The ascent is aka "heart attack hill". It's steep but not that long.
    I've thru hiked the LHHT three times and have done probably hundreds of day hikes and overnighters.
    I prefer SOBO hikes because IMO the trail gets nicer as you head south. The northern part of the trail has been always kinda boring to me but maybe that's because I live near the rt. 56 shelters and I'm always on the northen part.
    Enjoy the trail and don't forget to stop at Walat's bar on rt.30. They have some really big tasty burgers.

From my '08 LHT hike, I recall more ascent in the first 8 miles than in the remaining 62 miles but they weren't that taxing. From the shelter, you have about an 1,100' ascent but just go slow and steady. It's pleasantly surprising (at least to me) that the footing wasn't too rocky at all.

Images

Well thanks all of you for the response what I could see on the topo map and on mapsource didn't look to bad I have less than 100 miles under my belt so far backpacking but have learned allot so far went from a 75 lb pack to 30-35 lb lol I will look forward to the climb need to have good cardiovascular workout now and again. so thanks each of you for responding back with the info Jim
    Please remember the brave men and women of our armed services Without them we would not have the freedom to walk across this great nation.

I read some info on another site and word has it that there is little or no firewood at any of the shelter areas. Also, there is no TP in the latrines.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scottminot View Post
    I read some info on another site and word has it that there is little or no firewood at any of the shelter areas. Also, there is no TP in the latrines.
    Well I pack Tp and I think I can walk a little to get wood lol

Images

Well we did the 32 miles from Ohiopyle state park to route 31 and was a great trip took our time on the climbs we started at 10:30 am on 18 may 2010 and finished at 3:00 pa on 20 may 2010 was real happy with trip. They were clearing blow downs while we were there and was clear up to Pa Turnpike Thanks everyone

Images

Is the bridge over I-70 still closed?
    If so, has there been any announcement of a re-open date for it?
    What? Me worry??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRye View Post
    Is the bridge over I-70 still closed?
    If so, has there been any announcement of a re-open date for it?
    Not that I am aware of there is a 6 mile detour you can find at the LHT website It wasn't announced till after our vacation days were put in so only did the 32 miles

Virginia Tortoise

I did read just recently that the bridge is still closed at I76. The replacement will not be ready until the end of 2011. There was no detour that I could find recently due to the location and terrain of the trail in that area.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/hiking/laurel.aspx

Images

Virginia Tortoise

Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    Man, that adds over 8 miles to the hike. I hope they get that bridge replaced by the end of 2011 or sooner. Thanks.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Will the detour be as well blazed as the rest of the LHHT? I don't think I've ever seen so many blazes, anywhere. Not necessarily a bad thing, just very noticeable.

Seems like you could shave some mileage off the detour if you were hiking NOBO by turning left at Sky Rd., right on Skyview Rd., right on PA381 which goes under the PA Turnpike, then right on Felgar Rd. back to the LHHT just north of the closed Turnpike Bridge. I'm thinking just under six miles vs. the 8-plus. Anyone closer to the LHHT in that section know if this is feasible?

It's certainly feasible. I'm thinking they may have chosen the alternate route because 381 has much more vehicle traffic. It's much safer for hikers.
    People drive like nuts on 381.

I was with medicjimr on the LHHT and had a blast. The hills weren't that tough ,just take your time and pace yourself.

When I was planning this hike in January or so and saw that the bridge over the Turnpike was closed and no new notice of reroute until recently and already pretty much had this set in stone.

The trail is in fine shape since the trail crews were cleaning up the trail as went were going toward rt 31 Trailhead.

Awesome trip and planing to finish the LHHT in the future. Like with Medicjimr-I need to work on dropping pack weight pounds. Since I have a little prob with my shoulder anyways and sometimes the spasm keeps me from going farther on the trail and need to rest more often.

++ New Posts ++