WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: PRICE increase

Default PRICE increase

Just a F.Y.I

I called the Shamrock Village Inn in Dalton for a room. I told them I was out hiking and I would be arriving Friday. They said they had a room, so I booked it. Then they told me the price, $104.00 a night. I said that in one of the hikers book (Awol 2010) (I did not mention book) your room is listed at $75.00. They got a little short with me and said I was welcome to call another place. Anyway took the room. Anyone watching their money should be aware of this price jump of $29.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Turtle View Post
    Just a F.Y.I

I called the Shamrock Village Inn in Dalton for a room. I told them I was out hiking and I would be arriving Friday. They said they had a room, so I booked it. Then they told me the price, $104.00 a night. I said that in one of the hikers book (Awol 2010) (I did not mention book) your room is listed at $75.00. They got a little short with me and said I was welcome to call another place. Anyway took the room. Anyone watching their money should be aware of this price jump of $29.00.
    i would have called around, then when i found a cheaper room told them to cancel my reservation and walked out. they would have either changed their story or you would be moving on to a cheaper room. i've done this many times

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Weekends always have price increases for lodging (Fri and sat). The rate in the book may have been for a weekday.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

You must not hike much as rarely any of the "book" prices are what is actually charged. If you decide to hike more get used to it.

High season vs. low? Weekend or holiday? Amount and intensity of nearby competition? All can and do effect prices. That said, the per-night price of the motels I use in the Yellowstone area have been remarkably consistent over the past few years...including relatively fixed dates of the season changeover. One is an independent, one is a chain and that too may have an effect on consistent pricing and a willingness to drop it for an individual customer.

In any case, a nearly 39% jump over a recently published price seems kinda high. Maybe there are new owners or maybe the book was just flat out wrong.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Journal Entries
    Images

My companion says $99 for the weekend. So with tax, $104 would be accurate.

Hiking Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    You must not hike much as rarely any of the "book" prices are what is actually charged. If you decide to hike more get used to it.
    Yea right get a life. You think I don't know that . Ever hear of trying to Yogi a little.

Yea right get a life. You think I don't know that . Ever hear of trying to Yogi a little.
    Oh and I did get her down to $94.00.

Journal Entries
    Images

Then why post what you did??? Sounds like they were very accommodating for a weekend rate

Hiking Blog

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I split my time between homes in TWO areas that see a big tourist influx on weekends and holidays--the Shenandoah Valley west of SNP and the AT, plus Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

It is common in both areas to find bargain lodging even in the summer on weekdays. On weekends, it seems like the sky is the limit. For special events in Rehoboth or nearby Ocean City; or for the fall foliage season in Shenandoah--the stratosphere is the limit.

A jump of $75 weekdays to $104 weekends is not out of line in a tourist destination. If the guidebook you use doesn't mention the possibility of higher rates on weekends or special events (you should see what they do near the AT in the Carlisle PA area when racing or auto shows happen!) perhaps you should drop the guidebook publishers a line. Some folks just assume the weekends cost more but others, like you apparently, are taken by surprise.

As for 2010 AT guides regarding the Shamrock in Dalton: the Thru-Hikers Companion has prices exactly right, including the weekend upcharge, once you figure in tax. The Thru-Hikers Handbook has outdated prices and no mention of specific higher weekend rates. AT Guide shows no rates at all except for a pet deposit.

I have the 2009 AP. I think you misread the print...it says that pets are allowed with a $75 deposit. It does not say that the rooms are $75.

If I have a pack on my back I have no use for a hotel. Why pay to sleep enclosed in a box when I can sleep outdoors for free.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If I have a pack on my back I have no use for a hotel. Why pay to sleep enclosed in a box when I can sleep outdoors for free.
    That's what I'm talkin' about.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

1. Whether I am staying in the vicinity of a hiking trail or staying in a very urban area (such as New York or Chicago)--I use guidebooks only as a ROUGH GUIDE regarding hotel/motel prices. Prices are always subject to change and can often be out-of-date before the book is printed. If I am really concerned about the price, I always call ahead and confirm the price for the SPECIFIC days that I will be staying at a motel. I then lock in that rate with an actual reservation. Often, you can get a better price the earlier you book the room. If you wait too long--sometimes only the more expensive rooms are left.

2. As others have already mentioned, room prices at a hotel/motel can vary greatly throughout the different times of the year--and sometimes vary greatly even within a specific week. (Some hotels adjust their prices--up or down--as certain reservation levels or occupancy levels are reached for a specific date). Also, hotels often charge different rates for different rooms. The facility may have just a limited number of the lower priced rooms available. Once those rooms are booked, you can only get a higher priced room.

3) I don't know about specific hotel/motel prices in Dalton--but (unfortunately) $104 is getting to be a pretty typical room price in many areas of the country (especially if the room is in a tourist area and the price includes taxes). That is why I tend to use online sites such as priceline, orbitz, travelocity etc. to secure better room rates. (I also try to use other discounts such as AAA, military--and soon--AARP senior citizen discount!)

If you just walk up to a hotel front desk and try to get a room (without advance reservations or discounts)--you will often pay the highest possible prices. (Unless you are really gifted at negotiating a special rate).
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by left turn View Post
    i would have called around, then when i found a cheaper room told them to cancel my reservation and walked out. they would have either changed their story or you would be moving on to a cheaper room. i've done this many times

Yes so have I, and be prepared for a backfire or a stay in the woods.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

A week or so ago I paid $57 for a single at Shamrock Village in Dalton. This weekend I paid $100 per night for The Hanover Inn (regular rate is $265 per night).

Rates on hotel rooms are one of the most negotiable things on the planet. Those priceline.com commercials are spot on.

Be nice, offer to pay cash and make an offer.

Books are not always correct when listing prices. The prices listed are normal last year rates, or in some cases several years old. My advise is if you don't like the price then don't stay there. Call around and let them know what the rates of other hotels in the area. See if they will beat those rates with one of their own. An empty room is less money a hotel is taking in.

Wolf

You are exactly why we lose service providers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Then why post what you did??? Sounds like they were very accommodating for a weekend rate
    That's what I'm wondering about.

++ New Posts ++