WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ride to Baxter trailhead from Bangor

Hello all. Newbie here. I am seriously thinking of thru-hiking southbound starting in late July. Trying to work out some basics before I do more research. One biggie is whether anyone can suggest ways to get from the airport in Bangor to the trailhead in Baxter State Park. I would appreciate an info.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The hostel in Millinocket shuttles from Bangor. Or take the bus to Medway and get a shuttle from there. ALDHA companion gives you the info. Download it from the site.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

If you have the time and want to save some bucks, fly into Portland and take the bus to Medway. The flights are a lot less expensive into Portland and there are a lot more airlines flying intto Portland. Its the same bus line that travel through Bangor. The one trade off is that you will probably want to take a cab to the bustation from the airport in Portland as its long walk around.

The bus to Medway is MUCH cheaper than a shuttle. . . and you can call the AT Lodge in Millinocket to arrange a shuttle to get you from Medway to Baxter. . . . have a great hike. . .

Formerly Jaws2006
    Journal Entries

Default Shuttle from Bangor to BSP

The AT Lodge is currently charging $144 for a private shuttle from Bangor airport to BSP. It is around a three hour drive.

If you are flying into Bangor and want to take a Cyr bus to Medway, the bus stop (Concord Bus Lines) is right outside the airport property. You can walk it - somewhere around a mile away.

Although booked a while back, I got a pretty decent price on US Airways from Baltimore to Bangor. Don't know about Portland.

Images

Bus from Bangor to Medway - $15 +/-

http://www.cyrbustours.com/CyrBusLines-Schedule.htm

AT Lodge in Millinocket - $70 thru hiker special - Shuttle, Lodging Breakfast

http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com...hru-hikers.php

Images

The problem with airport/bus service here, is to get the bus lined up with the arrival of your plane to get to the park on a certain day. If you can't, call the AT Lodge, it may be pricey but you'll GET to the park hopefully the same day. Try to schedual your plane's arrival to allow for the bus connection or the AT Lodge shuttle--
    207-723-4321
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    The problem with airport/bus service here, is to get the bus lined up with the arrival of your plane to get to the park on a certain day. If you can't, call the AT Lodge, it may be pricey but you'll GET to the park hopefully the same day. Try to schedual your plane's arrival to allow for the bus connection or the AT Lodge shuttle--
    207-723-4321
    I believe the CYR bus runs every day. I think it's more a matter of having a flight to Bangor that arrives mid-afternoon so that you don't have to wait all day for the CYR bus schedule.

...And then there is always the I-95 hitch-hike. Followed by another hitch-hike from Medway to Millinocket. And the final hitch into Baxter.

It may not be a good plan but it is what I am going to go with.

Starting in 2011, I will be operating a small outfitter business that will provide a shuttle from Bangor to Baxter and includes bunk, bath, breakfast and the opportunity to do a resupply in the 100 Mile Wilderness. Price will be $100 for Southbound hikers starting out and Northbound hikers finishing up. You will have to supply your food and I will arrange to meet you at either (or both) the Jo-Mary road and/or the West Branch (Katahdin Iron Works) road. I am a three time thru-hiker and MATC Volunteer and have been involved with the Trail community for over 35 years, so I know a thing or two about the Trail in Maine and how best to address any concerns (best campsites, etc.) You can contact me at [email protected] I will have a website up shortly with more details. Stay tuned......Phil from Maine '77 & '82 & 2010

Check out www.100milewilderness.info Complete packages for Southbound hikers

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    ...And then there is always the I-95 hitch-hike. Followed by another hitch-hike from Medway to Millinocket. And the final hitch into Baxter.

It may not be a good plan but it is what I am going to go with.
    Did you have any luck with the long hitch?

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Also, anyone ever had any luck with this route?

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    Bus from Bangor to Medway - $15 +/-

http://www.cyrbustours.com/CyrBusLines-Schedule.htm

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have not heard of issues with taking the bus. It is commonly suggested as as way to get to Medway.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++