WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks everyone. Most of my angst in running a hostel comes from my not being clear about what is expected. We've had wonderful people this season,sorry if i was cranky about this,it was written on a day that i had to drop everything 3 times and run boxes to people who didn't even say thanks. Then one called from Marion (14 mile round trip) and was pissed that i wouldn't run it to her for free. I took all the boxes to The Barn resturant ,that were for non guests-now i just say it's at The Barn, they hold them free in hopes you buy some food.I love what i do here, i just need to fine tune it to make it better for hikers and me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i'm not. it's the new breed
    I'm surprised we don't see more of the "new breed" trying to hike with their eyes glued their smartphone while Tweeting......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rambunny View Post
    Thanks everyone. Most of my angst in running a hostel comes from my not being clear about what is expected. We've had wonderful people this season,sorry if i was cranky about this,it was written on a day that i had to drop everything 3 times and run boxes to people who didn't even say thanks. Then one called from Marion (14 mile round trip) and was pissed that i wouldn't run it to her for free. I took all the boxes to The Barn resturant ,that were for non guests-now i just say it's at The Barn, they hold them free in hopes you buy some food.I love what i do here, i just need to fine tune it to make it better for hikers and me!
    Rambunny,

Please excuse the ignorant question, but WHY are you taking someone's package to them? Shouldn't they come and PICK IT UP from where they mailed it to? If I use any mail drops in 2012, I'll be darned if I'll expect someone to bring it to me.

I guess I wouldn't be a very good Trail Angel. Thanks for what you do, though!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Author, Awol on the Appalachian Trail
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by M1 Thumb View Post
    In my 2010 AT Guide (Awol's), it states the Happy Hiker holds mail for its guests. For those that choose to take advantage of the proprietors I offer this argument: If their policy states that they hold mail for their guests and you mail them a package, you are making a reservation by this action, thus you should be obligated to pay for the hostel space regardless if you plan on using it. Shame on those that take advantage of the people who run the hostels on what has to be a very tight budget.
    The A.T. Guide says "for guests" when the owner specifically asks for it to read that way. In the interest of conserving space in the book, I do not always tack on that phrase but it should be assumed.

On page 2 (Maildrop Guidelines) there is this statement:
    "Do not send maildrops to lodging facilities unless you plan to stay with them. If your plans change, offer to pay for the service of holding your mail."

Incredibly, *some* hikers also expect and take rides to town from lodging/ shuttle providers without staying with them.

It's unfortunate that this thread even exists - it should be a no-brainer that if you expect a hostel/motel to hold your package, you should stay there or at the very minimum make a more-than-token donation. And asking hostel owners for personal delivery to the Trail - please!

Rambunny and other hostel owners - thanks for all you do for all hikers, thru and sectioners (like me).

Quote Originally Posted by rambunny View Post
    This is just unbelievable. I wouldn't have gotten their boxes to them. That is so rude and entitled. Ugh.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    The baby boomer generation is to blame...they raised these kids!
    And my response to that is always "And who raised the boomers?" What goes around.........
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Rambunny and other hostel owners - thanks for all you do for all hikers, thru and sectioners (like me).

Ditto to this. Thanks.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

As I am planning my SoBo thru hike- do people just send mail drops to places, even if they plan to stay, without informing the lodging facility or do you call/email ahead?
    2010 SoBo Attemptee. Spraied ankle in PA. Worst day of my life.

It's always a good thing to check ahead. Some places close for slow times ect.Best of luck on your southbound!!!!

What Hostel does rambunny run? ...as I page through myThru-hikers companion.

Images

Rambunny and Aqua run the Happy Hiker Hollow near Atkins, VA. Wonderful place...and she prepares outstanding dinners and breakfasts!!!!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

This brings to my mind some issues I never considered in my planning. On my next section hike, I was planning to leave a resupply box with a local business or hostel. That said, I was certainly going to call and make arrangements well ahead of time. My shuttle would take me through town, so I was planning to drop it off there instead of mailing it, and was expecting to pay for them to hold it for me, with a little extra tossed in over and above the fee, just because they're doing me a service. I certainly wouldn't have expected anyone to run it out to me!!

However, I really wasn't planning to stay, assuming I used a hostel or similar. (I say that, sitting here nice and clean, without having hiked three or four days without a shower!) I have to drive a long way to get where I want to hike, so my thought was stay hiking after picking up my supplies. Now I'm wondering.....

Images

As long as you let them know up front that you won't be staying, but that you'd like to pay a small fee to leave a food drop, that should be fine.

I will note that after 3 or 4 nights in the woods, a hot shower and a soft bed are pretty tempting.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

It is tempting, isn't it? I'm just not sure when I'd hit that area (Hot Springs). Lots of variables involved. But yeah, never would have occurred to me NOT to have paid a fee for that service, particularly when I'm expecting to just haul in at any old time and demand my supplies. Plus a tip for being "on call", so to speak. Just didn't think they might expect me to stay. I can be so thoughtless sometimes.

I think I'm talking myself into a shower, soft bed, and good food.

Hikes In Rain-you are the kind of thoughtful hiker that would be welcomed.

Images

I don't see a problem with mailing a package to a hostel and not preplanning on spending the night there. Once I walk in I should be able to decide if I want to spend the night or not. It also gives a chance for the service provider to sell a bunk space or some of their goods they have forsale. But, if a servise provider doesn't want this type of business and help hikers out, it should be clearly noted in the handbooks. But I also agree with the fact the the hostel owners do not need to make any special trips to deliver packages unless they are trying to round up new business.

To me its like going to the post office. Would they not hold my box if I didn't buy a book of stamps?

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    I don't see a problem with mailing a package to a hostel and not preplanning on spending the night there.

To me its like going to the post office. Would they not hold my box if I didn't buy a book of stamps?
    the PO will not hold your box if no postage is paid on it. it's not a storage facility

Images

Good point.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    *I explain that my plans have changed.
    *I thank them for holding and safeguarding my mail.
    *I offer them a few dollars for this service (and they usually turn this down).
    Sounds like simple common courtesy, but I'm afraid it isn't so common sometimes.

Problem is, the people who need to read what you wrote probably aren't on this forum.
    Frosty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++