WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Purchasing the big 3

I have come to the point in my outdoor life where I want to take the next step and progress to full-blown backpacking. Up until this point it has been dayhikes with vehicle support. I have a daypack along with a backpack stove and a water filter. So I need to purchase a sleeping bag, tent and full-size pack. But as money is an issue, I will need to purchase only one item at a time with about 6 months in between purchases. My intent is to rent the other 2 items as needed for an actual overnighter. So the question is, which item to purchase first? I am leaning towards the tent first, my reason being is that I have some weight to lose and that could change the size and/or type of bag and pack I need. But the tent would only become roomier as I get smaller. (We're talking around 100 more lbs. before I reach my optimum weight.) so what is the general consensus?

Images

Sounds like you've thought this out and have a good plan.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I have come to the point in my outdoor life where I want to take the next step and progress to full-blown backpacking. Up until this point it has been dayhikes with vehicle support. I have a daypack along with a backpack stove and a water filter. So I need to purchase a sleeping bag, tent and full-size pack. But as money is an issue, I will need to purchase only one item at a time with about 6 months in between purchases. My intent is to rent the other 2 items as needed for an actual overnighter. So the question is, which item to purchase first? I am leaning towards the tent first, my reason being is that I have some weight to lose and that could change the size and/or type of bag and pack I need. But the tent would only become roomier as I get smaller. (We're talking around 100 more lbs. before I reach my optimum weight.) so what is the general consensus?
    IMHO, I agree with the tent. I've also had the same weight issue after cracking my kneecap in half and quiting smoking around the same time. I did end up getting a Montbell UL Superstretch #3 sleeping bag that stretches when you do so that might be a help if you can find it on sale. Even with all the weight gain and loss I never found a huge difference between any of the big 3, just that they became more comfortable.
    The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk. ~Jacqueline Schiff

I would agree with going with a tent first. Just really try to get in and try them out if possible. Set them up and crawl inside of it. See how it feels laying inside, and sitting up inside. Do you have enough room at the ends of the tent? If you can grab a pad and throw it in the tent with you. look at things like front door vs side doors, and vestibule sizes. Will it just be you inside your tent?

Next rent or borrow the bag and the pack. By doing this you can try out a variety of both to see which works for you. These items can be expensive, but not near as expensive if you have to buy a few of each before you realize what you need, or what works for you. Also, if you are planning on losing 100 lbs both the bag and the pack would be more comfortable to be suited to you than it would be for the tent. There is never too much room in your tent!

Don't forget the importance of a good sleeping pad. (The big 3 is actually the big 4.) Especially if you will be in any cold weather. The pad is what keeps your back side warm, not the sleeping bag. And if the pad is not adequate, it is very easy to freeze, even in the best of sleeping bags.

And be sure to get your pack after you have everything else. This way you can be sure of a few things. 1. Will it will hold all your gear the most efficiently (not too much extra room, and not too little.) 2.How does it haul your gear? (How much support do you need from the suspension?) and 3. How does it fit? Is the torso length set right? How about the shoulder straps and the hip belt, do they fit correctly. A few packs offer the benefit of swapping out the shoulder and hip straps to fit you more specifically.

The most important thing is to get out there and have fun!

If you have any more questions, check out my site and highlight the gear tab:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/

Garlic
    Images

I also agree with your plan. Also keep in mind that this stuff does not need to be all that expensive. The quality gear I've been using for the last 5000 trail miles including some winter conditions cost $80 for the pack (replaced that once), $180 for the bag (great sale), and $200 for the tent (full retail). You don't need to pay over $300 for each of these items, which some retailers might have you believe. Good luck with your plan.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Get the pack last so you know your stuff will fit. Get the sleeping bag first and go for quickie overnighters on nights when you know it won't rain. Use your daypack and just go for a short enough trip that you don't need to bring a lot of gear or food. Like 2 miles.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Tent and sleeping bag. Then pack.
    Campmor has good deals

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I agree with the order listed above, but if you don't mind having backup gear (may be less expensive than renting?) you could pick up an ALICE pack, a blue foam pad from Walmart and not have to rent those items. I have a campmor 20 degree down bag that costs less than $100 and weighs right about 2lbs. Tents can be found for less than MSRP, and some for much less. (check out thrift stores and yard sales, every now and then there is a good find, and it's a way to save money on lots of other useful items as well)

Thanks for all the input folks. To answer a few ?, yes, I will be by myself, but I like as much room as I can get w/o weight becoming an issue. The short trip for starters is ideal. I have a state park near here with a backcountry campsite about 2 miles from the nearest parking lot, so that will be my first overnighter to get my "backpacking" legs. And I have an REI not too far away that rents gear, so that will work. Again, thanks for all the help.

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

You may not want to use the sleeping you buy for cold weather for the warm months. I ordered this Lafuma X600 +45 Sleeping Bag - Long the other day for summer.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Images

I recieved this bag Lafuma X600 +45 Sleeping Bag - Long today and I am very disappointed. It was supposed to be a long fitting up to 6ft 6in, but was only 5ft 10in. I called REI and the rep said he thought I had the correct bag. I am sending it back. I am learning that the cheap way is a hard way most times.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

My LaFuma synthetic bag's zipper assembly shredded after about 2 weeks on the trail last year. No problems getting a new one. LaFuma customer service was great but beware of product quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Walker View Post
    I recieved this bag Lafuma X600 +45 Sleeping Bag - Long today and I am very disappointed. It was supposed to be a long fitting up to 6ft 6in, but was only 5ft 10in. I called REI and the rep said he thought I had the correct bag. I am sending it back. I am learning that the cheap way is a hard way most times.
    This is one thing I have noticed with REI, at least in some of my experiences. They do not check the information themselves. They go with whatever is told to them without confirming it. And then when confronted about the misinformation, they hide behind their return policy, which turns out a good thing for the customer, but also puts you through some disappointment. If you can go and check things out for yourself you will save yourself some disappointment.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    This is one thing I have noticed with REI, at least in some of my experiences. They do not check the information themselves. They go with whatever is told to them without confirming it. And then when confronted about the misinformation, they hide behind their return policy, which turns out a good thing for the customer, but also puts you through some disappointment. If you can go and check things out for yourself you will save yourself some disappointment.
    This is the first purchase I made from REI, and from my experience may be my last. It is good that They took the bag back, but I need a summer bag and wasted time and I hope to do a summer trip soon.

++ New Posts ++