WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Future African American thru-hiker

I am an African American planning to thru-hike the AT in 2013,after I retire from Active Duty. I need information from former thru-hikers so I can plan my hike and have a memorable experience on the trail as all thru-hikers have from the journalsI have read. Do I need to plan any different from a regular thru-hiker, is hitch hiking an option, are there towns,hostels or other places I a better off avoiding? etc.

i'm a northern yankee American and i never had no trouble

I don't know why things should be any different for you than anyone else on the trail.

Most likely, you will get asked some things about your religion (or told about theirs) when hitchhiking. Best to say you believe in Jesus (whether you do or not) (Could keep you out of some trouble.)

It is always a good idea to use a sign (I use my tyvek ground sheet and a Sharpie), to say that you are an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker and need a ride.

Have a great hike!

ps. are you a troll?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

"Best to say you believe in Jesus (whether you do or not) (Could keep you out of some trouble.)"

Do you somehow believe religious bigotry is less offensive than racial bigotry?

Journal Entries

I'm not black, so I don't know, but I suspect hitching might be more difficult. Putting "retired soldier" on your hitching sign might help anyone with their thumb out. Thirty+ years ago there were places in N Ga that might have been problematical, but I believe that's a thing of the past.
    I have no doubt that you've seen far worse.
    Thanks for your service.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saber View Post
    I am an African American planning to thru-hike the AT in 2013,after I retire from Active Duty. I need information from former thru-hikers so I can plan my hike and have a memorable experience on the trail as all thru-hikers have from the journalsI have read. Do I need to plan any different from a regular thru-hiker, is hitch hiking an option, are there towns,hostels or other places I a better off avoiding? etc.
    Well, Wahiawa is not quite a walk in the park as it were either. But you made your way there. A smile, openess to chat with the locals, listen to their stories and information shared, and you should be fine. A little humility can go a long way with those in the rural south AND north. Remember alll of the Boy Scout words and practice them. Much different now than in the 70 's when I was greeted along I 95 in Ga with a large billboard picturing a knight of the KKK and welcoming all to "the heart of clan country". As hikers, we are impressed with ourselves. The locals, not so much. Try to identify with the locals instead of being overly concerned about differences.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Most likely, you will get asked some things about your religion (or told about theirs) when hitchhiking. Best to say you believe in Jesus (whether you do or not) (Could keep you out of some trouble.)
    this is one of the sillier posts i've seen on here in a while. will you likely get preached to on a hitch in the south? yes, absolutely, happened to me several times. are you in any danger or "trouble" if you don't answer positively....no.

i can see it now:
    driver: "have you accepted jesus as your lord and savior?"
    hitch hiker: "uh, no."
    driver: "get out of the car, i'm gonna kick your ass!!"

please.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

that said, the only place that i observed any racism at all was the dog patch bar in maryland. that place has a culture of racism among the ownership & patrons. what i saw & heard there, i've never forgotten because it was so disgusting.

in fact, it was so overtly vile and offensive that i'm not going to post here what i saw. if anyone wants/ needs to know; they can PM me.

trust me though, as a black person you're unlikely to get a warm reception there, which is sad.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

I'm neither Black nor a thru-hiker (yet). But I am a research freak.
    If I were you I'd Google such phrases as "African American hikers" (http://www.google.com/search?q=Afric...rlz=1I7GGLL_en). I did that and found such websites as Outdoor Afro (http://outdoorafro.ning.com/forum/to...n-hiking-group) where you may get help from experienced Black hikers.

It might also be a good thing for you to return here and mention anything you find that might be of us to others.

Good luck, have a great hike and I also thank you for your service.
    Sailor

Thank you for your service to our country, Sir. It would be an honor to hike with you for a bit of the trail in the south or to provide any assistance I could. I'm a couple of hours away from the AT in GA and NC.

Images

A hiker is a hiker and the trail family extends to those who provide services along the trail. I don't think that there's some sort of strange buffer anywhere along the Appalachian Trail that makes it any diffferent from anywhere else in the United States. Do you need to plan any differently from a "regular thru hiker" ? I don't understand the question. If you plan to thru hike the AT you will be a regular thru hiker..(if there is such a thing.)
    I've met people of all races from all over the globe along the AT and they were all doing something that they enjoyed. The blind, the deaf, those with one leg...those with other physical handicaps and those who can't understand a word of our language probably had similar concerns prior to starting their hikes. I don't see any reason for race to be an issue or cause for special planning. Enjoy the trail!
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by randyg45 View Post
    I'm not black, so I don't know, but I suspect hitching might be more difficult. Putting "retired soldier" on your hitching sign might help anyone with their thumb out. Thirty+ years ago there were places in N Ga that might have been problematical, but I believe that's a thing of the past.
    I have no doubt that you've seen far worse.
    Thanks for your service.
    Where on earth did you come up with THAT? Obviously you have never spent time up in N Ga. Also, N Ga is no worse racially then anywhere else!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Where on earth did you come up with THAT? Obviously you have never spent time up in N Ga. Also, N Ga is no worse racially then anywhere else!
    I believe that the poster refers to what the OP may have seen in combat, not in Georgia.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    this is one of the sillier posts i've seen on here in a while. will you likely get preached to on a hitch in the south? yes, absolutely, happened to me several times. are you in any danger or "trouble" if you don't answer positively....no.

i can see it now:
    driver: "have you accepted jesus as your lord and savior?"
    hitch hiker: "uh, no."
    driver: "get out of the car, i'm gonna kick your ass!!"

please.
    Well, I have hitchiked in many parts of the world: Around Japan, across Australia, 3 times around Western Europe, 1 month in Ireland, even a few times in Asia. (and 2 short hitches in Siberia)
    I have hitched in almost half of the US' 50 states.

And I never got asked about Jesus in any of those places except for GA, NC, TN and VA. I'd even venture to say it happens around east TN 25% of the time or more.
    Now, if you don't have an answer ready, you could be in for a long long tale and conversion attempt that can be very uncomfortable.
    Maybe "trouble" is the wrong word, but, BE PREPARED is not bad advice.

Now maybe it doesn't happen to black people more than whites, I wouldn't know. But it's best to be prepared and you have now been warned.

I still think the OP is a troll anyway.
    Maybe he'll prove me wrong but I ain't bettin on it.

Forsyth County isn't considered North Georgia any longer?

Sorry, I forgot about the Mormons in WY, MT, UT, ID. They'll do it too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Forsyth County isn't considered North Georgia any longer?

You know, I live less then 5 miles from Forsyth County. Are you gonna call me a racist?

Thanks,I am not worry about Md, my family is there

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I was raised in Atlanta in the 60s, came back post-Army, '75-80, lived there again from '82 to '90 after spending a couple years in Houston. During all those periods of time I spent as much time as possible in N Ga, hiking, fishing, hunting. Took my first weeklong solo in Warwoman when I was 15, etc etc etc.

As just one small example of the racism in N Ga during the 60s, every highway into Forsyth County bore a sign at the county line that read "N*****, don't let the sun set on your head". They meant it.

The only thing obvious here is that you don't know me, or the history of racism in N Ga.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Well, I have hitchiked in many parts of the world: Around Japan, across Australia, 3 times around Western Europe, 1 month in Ireland, even a few times in Asia. (and 2 short hitches in Siberia)
    I have hitched in almost half of the US' 50 states.

And I never got asked about Jesus in any of those places except for GA, NC, TN and VA. I'd even venture to say it happens around east TN 25% of the time or more.
    Now, if you don't have an answer ready, you could be in for a long long tale and conversion attempt that can be very uncomfortable.
    Maybe "trouble" is the wrong word, but, BE PREPARED is not bad advice.

Now maybe it doesn't happen to black people more than whites, I wouldn't know. But it's best to be prepared and you have now been warned.

I still think the OP is a troll anyway.
    Maybe he'll prove me wrong but I ain't bettin on it.
    I'll pray for you.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++