WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chappy Six...out!

This is my last post on Whiteblaze. I appreciate the effort of ATroll and SGT Rock to educate novice hikers as myself. However, I've found this to be a place where some choose to resort to profanity laced namecalling in private messages because they disagree with you. As a result, I've decided to make better use of my time.

America is a nation made up of a diverse population with different viewpoints and opinions. That's what makes our country great. I believe we don't have to agree on issues to get along, but we should respectfully disagree. I've spent the last 26 years of my life serving in the Army because I believe strongly in the principles that make us a great nation. Of those, I believe freedom of speech is the most basic.

I'll begin my thru hike in April when I retire from the Army. Hopefully, I will meet some of you on the trail. Even though we agree on very little I'd really like to meet SmokyMtn Steve. That guy is tenacious. I'd like to meet Lone Wolf. That guy is funny. I'd like to meet Jack Tarlin and SGT Rock. Those guys are smart. I'd like to meet ATtroll and say thank you. I'd like to meet Weary. That guy is filled with facts and reason. I'd like to meet Blue Jay. I'll have to think of a reason, though. There are many others I'd like to meet and if I haven't mentioned you please don't read anything into my oversight.

Chappy Six, out.
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

Chappy, I hope you change your mind. Just delete messages from people you don't know. I'll try to bring you some beers when you get to Mass or VT.
    Have a great hike (it'll be hard not to).

Images

Default Chappy

If you come back and read this, I'm sorry that you are going to let a few folk who type before they think make you leave this board. You will be doing the trail soon, and the knowledge and comeraderie that you could gain in preparing for that from this board is great. Don't let a few, whoever they are, ruin your day, and your hike.
    Greg P.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Chappy jist liek Sgt. Rock says..

"most folks who think they disagree, Agree more than they think"

I'm sure we could find some common ground, (do ya treat your water ?

I'm sorry to hear that folks have sent you Pm containing profanity,
    cause even though we disagree on some issues, I assure you that the Goddess does not approve of the sending of profanity filled Hate.

Reconsider at least dropping in for a visit here at Whiteblaze from time to time, Time changes all things...time even changes us.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

GAME 2000
    Images

Default Frustrations

It helps to learn to pick your issues carefully. Most of the time, we hear what we WANT to hear, see what we WANT to see and believe what we WANT to believe, regardless of what the so called FACTS are. It also helps to realize that it is a waste of time trying to reason with fanatics or idiots... I often find this comforting, especially since I get to decide who the fanatics and idiots are.

Youngblood
    Last edited by Youngblood; 11-01-2004 at 10:01. Reason: emphased the wrong words the first pass

Registered User PecosBackpacker's Avatar
    Images

Angry Chappy Six...out

I don't post very often and I am a pretty new member and don't really know anyone, but you seem like a great guy. It's a shame some people feel the need to lace private messages with profanity on a website devoted to the beauty and serenity of the AT. I am with smokeymtnsteve in saying please drop by every now and then. I am not sure if I speak all of the decent members of this site, but I would like to apologize on behalf of all the uncouth posters out there. Your profanity-laced posts have really brought down the integrity of this site. I hope you're happy.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default signing OFF...

Yo CHAPPY!

BLOCK out those that offend u!

Don't go away because someone curses @ you..or disagrees with you in
    a non-intelligent manner....we need you here.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

Thumbs up Ain't that the truth?!

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    It helps to learn to pick your issues carefully. Most of the time, we hear what we WANT to hear, see what we WANT to see and believe what we WANT to believe, regardless of what the so called FACTS are. It also helps to realize that it is a waste of time trying to reason with fanatics or idiots... I often find this comforting, especially since I get to decide who the fanatics and idiots are.
    Ain't that the truth?! I'm with you, Youngblood.

Rain Man

Journal Entries
    Images

Chappy

wbdent Sorry that you have to leave on these terms. I know somewhat where you are coming from. There are a lot of users that post on this site that do it just to argue and make themselves known. If you were receiving nasty post in you private mail then I wish you would have told me. I would have looked into it. I have to admit that I do not read every single message that gets posted on this site. What I usually do is log on and click on NEW POST. Then I only read the post that look interesting or the ones that I am following. Although I will follow some that I know people have written to me and complained about. I believe that if you put a person on your ignore list that they can not send you a private message. I have never tried it but I believe it works that way. It is too bad that we have to put users on our ignore list. I know I let a lot of things slide on this site but there are a lot of things that some of you don't see me deleting either. I try to let the site run itself. Trying to make everyone happy is impossible. So I try to find a middle point. In doing so there are some users that do not like the middle point that I have chosen. But then I don't want to make it to extreme either. I do not want to be a dictator. We all know what a site is like that is run by a dictator is like.

wbdent So I guess what I am trying to do is say sorry to you Chappy and others if this site did not meet your expectations. I try my best. I am on here a lot more then people think I am. I know my wife is not happy with me when I am on here.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++