WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Default 140 Mile Knobstone trail

Here in southern Indiana, The Knobstone trail has been extended to connect to the Tecumseh trail, which starts in Morgan-Monroe State forest. I was wondering if anyone has hiked this new trail (besides the 4 who did it in Oct-Nov of last year?

I would like to leave to do the entire thing Solo in Mid-July. If anyone knows, would I be the first person to do it solo?

@Anyone familiar with the area: my initial qualms revolve around water availability that time of year. Any input?

questions? www.hoosierhikerscouncil.org

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Tomorrow marks the day of my departure. I plan on being out 8 nights, 9 days going south, ending at Deam Lake. I was unable to locate a GPS for the ~30 miles of bushwacking in the Hoosier National Forest, but I have detailed maps and a compass. Im carrying all of my food (HEAVY!) and will be able to carry up to 4 liters of water. Im hoping for rain (?) to guarantee water in streams, rivers, etc. I originally planned on dropping water at road crossings but have foregone this due to weather forecasts of 10 days of thunderstorms! We shall see..

I cant wait to hit the trail! Ready for another great thru-hike!!!!!

I would be very interested in your thoughts after this trip as I am planning on hiking this trail in October with my husband. Water? Is there any place 1/2 way a food drop could be left? I've been backpacking for quite a few years, but only short trips and I'm in average shape. This will be my first 100+ miler. Is 10 days a reasonable time frame?

I can find very little information on this extended trail, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine0202 View Post
    I would be very interested in your thoughts after this trip as I am planning on hiking this trail in October with my husband. Water? Is there any place 1/2 way a food drop could be left? I've been backpacking for quite a few years, but only short trips and I'm in average shape. This will be my first 100+ miler. Is 10 days a reasonable time frame?

I can find very little information on this extended trail, so any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry I didnt get back to you before your (intended) hike. Did you end up going? I plan on tackling the trail again next summer before my AT SoBo hike in mid June so Ive been rethinking hiking strategy and route. Oh, by the way, I didnt make it for entire 140 miles. I finished the Tecumseh trail ( the first ~45 miles) and was lost when it finished. My maps (and hence trail markings) were insufficient, but this was expected considering there is no definite route. I would love to give any advice I can to others. The proliferation of this trail throughout the midwest would be great! Hope to hear from you!

I was looking for Info on the Trail but All the stuff I found was before the connection. any thoughts on a full map or data book on the trail? any other info would be appreciated. I would love to do a through of this trail.

Restless,
    There is no full data book for this trail. For the main KT, you can buy an excellent map that will fulfill your needs from the Indiana DNR.

For the Tecumseh Trail, you can get a map from the trail club I believe, and also the state has a brochure about the TT. BigMac on this website works with the TT, he may be able to help you with the northern part.

They are not quite connected yet. Truthfull bushwacking down there sounds really awful, it's all choked out 2 and 3rd growth forest down there, not open parkland.

I hiked the KT last May and did a short journal if you want to read it
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=10546

i contacted the person who thru hiked in and asked what the speed record was for this trail, they emailed back very rudely basically saying 'dont try it, don't email me'

i would love to try a speed run of the trail, especially after a few months of thru hiking... but the trail organizer said the time of year i wanted to do is 24 miles of i was underwater.

Quote Originally Posted by burntoutphilosopher View Post
    i contacted the person who thru hiked in and asked what the speed record was for this trail, they emailed back very rudely basically saying 'dont try it, don't email me'

i would love to try a speed run of the trail, especially after a few months of thru hiking... but the trail organizer said the time of year i wanted to do is 24 miles of i was underwater.
    Are we speaking about the same trail? I can't imagine any part where 24 miles of it would be 'under water.'

That being said, even if you ran the while KT including both loops, it's only 60 miles. At 6 mph, you could simply run it in a day.

For those folks who have been hearing about the 140-mile Knobstone Trail, you need to understand that this is a work in progress. The Hoosier Hikers Council trail builders have been working on the Pioneer Trail section of the Knobstone. It will connect the original KT which ends at Spurgeon Hollow with the Tecumseh Trail which is a 40 mile trail that runs south from near Martinsville and ends at the boundary of the Hoosier National Forest. There are some sections that should be cleared, signed and blazed by the summer of 2011, but the whole route will take much longer to complete. Please check the HHC website at www.hoosierhikerscouncil.org for the latest information. The HHC also has a Facebook page where you can posts questions and get more timely answers from the folks who are building the trail. We will be working on the Pioneer Trail on the 3rd Saturday of each month and would welcome anyone would would like to join us.
    mary and carl

Tilly, it's a drought in indiana this year, but last spring it was disastrous, like 20% of the state was underwater.

i'm sure in the fall it'd be a great trail to try. what i wanted to do was a yoyo making it essentially 275+ miles and trying to do it finishing sometime on the 8'th day. maybe 7 days 14 hours.

fall would be the best time, in spring the snow melt comes and it's a slog fest through mud, summer the undergrowth is too dense for efficient bushwacking. i'd even do it this time of the year right before the real snow hits when the leaves are gone.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maryelle View Post
    We will be working on the Pioneer Trail on the 3rd Saturday of each month and would welcome anyone would would like to join us.
    I would love to help maintain and clear as much as the trail as I can. Where does the Hoosier Hiker's Council meet every 3rd saturday? Who should i contact?

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Headed out Monday, march 14 (6 days!!) to do the 50 mile (non-loop) section of Knobstone trail with 3 friends. Hoping for good weather, heading south, will be done in 2 nights 3 days.. If anyone is last-minnute interested, PM and join up!

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post
    Headed out Monday, march 14 (6 days!!) to do the 50 mile (non-loop) section of Knobstone trail with 3 friends. Hoping for good weather, heading south, will be done in 2 nights 3 days.. If anyone is last-minnute interested, PM and join up!
    Wish I could....stupid job.

I hiked 21 miles in the Deam Wilderness yesterday. Lots of water flowing.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Good amount of water for out KT thru last week. My friends were suprised about the difficulty of the trail - one was even a former AT thru hiker. For Indiana, it aint no joke.

Great trip! Looking to give the 140 mile KT another go this summer after school is out, sometime in May. Anyone care to join?

Hi, Sorry about not responding but I just now saw your question about working with the HHC building the 140 mile KT. If you go to the website at www.hoosierhikerscouncil.org you will be able to see the latest info about where the volunteers will be trail building. We work on other trails in southern Indiana as well and might be scouting to build a new trail near Martinsville on the 3rd Saturday in December. We'd love to meet you on any of our work days.
    Maryelle
    mary and carl

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post
    I finished the Tecumseh trail ( the first ~45 miles) and was lost when it finished. My maps (and hence trail markings) were insufficient, but this was expected considering there is no definite route. I would love to give any advice I can to others. The proliferation of this trail throughout the midwest would be great! Hope to hear from you!
    Even though this thread is a couple years old I was hoping that you might still be on your WB account. I am considering this trail (the entire 140miles) in the near future and I have been gathering information about the middle connecting route between the tecumseh and the knobstone trail (known as the "pioneer" trail. I was wondering if you had a planned route to travel through this are when you attempted your thru-hike. If so I would be really interested in seing a map or a write-up of your plans. Also, if you have attempter/complete the trail since your last post I would love you heat about that as well.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Great to hear someone else is interested! Since my first attempt at th e 140 KT, I have not tried again, mainly because I've moved from Indiana and been doing other hikes (AT & CT)! Ive done the Knobstone twice and the Tecumseh once, but the middle section I have not. Here's what I have to say:

The TT and KT are marked well and easy to follow. Maps are available in Bloomington at JLWaters and the Running Company (next to SI Bakehouse). I would consider buying the Data book for the KT to help with water, depending on when you go. This is the largest concern on the 'Little AT' - water. Honestly, the only assured water is at Spurgeon and Elk Creek. Otherwise, its spotty. I had luck on my thrus of the KT and didnt have trouble. I dont expect you will, but its always something to consider. Carrying 2Liters should be plenty, just make sure you can hit the lakes. The TT has a few more intermittent streams and creeks (but no lakes), so the water is somewhat more reliable. Again, depending on the time of year your hike. Also, If your schedule is open enough, start your hike after a heavy rain.

The Pioneer trail: Hmm, considering I did not actually get into the thick of it, I cannot say for sure. However, I can tell you this: You will have to bushwack. Best bet for this section is a GPS of some kind. Below, Ive post a link the Hoosier Hikers Council's website where they posted their GPS waypoints a few years back. They might be inaccurate now, but its worth a shot. Part of the reason I did not make it thru was because I didnt have a GPS, but rather the maps from each section a graphic designer friend of mine printed neatly. But it didnt matter. The Pioneer trail in 2010 was hard to see and shrouded, hence the reason I hitched into Story and said enough was enough. A GPS may guide you differently (read: better)

You never know, though, until you get out there. Go for it, man! If you want more suggestions or want to discuss further, feel free to PM me. Happy trails!

http://www.hoosierhikerscouncil.org/...140%20Main.htm

I hope to do a section of this trail early spring of 2015. My current kit is still shy a tent and a sleeping bag. The purpose of the KT hike for me is to be a shakedown exercise for a Springer Mountain to Hot Springs sectional hike attempt of the AT later that same spring season.

I'm thinking a Friday, Saturday, Sunday type of outing on the KT.

I should be fully fitted out gear-wise by March.

If anyone is interested let me know.

Images

when do you plan to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Woof Shaven View Post
    I hope to do a section of this trail early spring of 2015. My current kit is still shy a tent and a sleeping bag. The purpose of the KT hike for me is to be a shakedown exercise for a Springer Mountain to Hot Springs sectional hike attempt of the AT later that same spring season.

I'm thinking a Friday, Saturday, Sunday type of outing on the KT.

I should be fully fitted out gear-wise by March.

If anyone is interested let me know.
    I have an extra tent that you could use. It has been used on the KT as a matter of fact. I might go along for the adventure as well if you are inviting company. My business is in Brownsburg, PM me if interested. Seatbelt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++