WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Yellowstone / Grand Teton Day Hike Suggestions

In a few weeks, I'll be spending 2 weeks in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. The wife and I will be staying in a lodge (she only does one backpacking trip per year...her anniversary trip to me every year is a weekend trip with me on the AT).

Just curious if anyone has suggestions for "must do" day hikes in Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons? We'll be doing the normal tourist stops, but also want to get away from the road a bit. We have a few hikes planned, but I thought I'd ask here for other suggestions from those who have been. Thanks!

Great trip would be to Heart Lake south of Lake Yellowstone. travel through a neat geyser area. but beware of grizzlies.
    J D Cool

Journal Entries

Offhand I can only think of out-and-back dayhikes.
    The Black Canyon of the Yellowstone goes thru an area used as a wintering ground for various ungulates, so there are lots of skeletons from winter-killed animals; the best part of which is the shed elk antlers. Start from the south for skeletons, from the north to watch the bison in the upper part of Hayden Valley.
    A hike along the Lamar River should yield wolf tracks and droppings and such, with the possibility of a sighting.
    A dayhike to Grebe Lake leaves plenty of time for fishing for rainbows and grayling, and is one of the few places to offer that.

I can't remember the name, but there is a very easy trail a bit north and west of Old Faithful that goes to a couple of active back country geysers and a fabulous waterfall. Ask the rangers for directions.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

The Paintbrush Divide loop in the Tetons is amazing. But snow would definitely be a problem this early in the season.

Journal Entries

I forgot the Shoshone Geyser Basin south of OF

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

We're headed out there as well and I have been reading up on it, my wife does not like to camp but is a pretty good walker. Sounds like a walk around Jenny Lake in the Tetons and then a hike up Mt. Washburn at Yellowstone are in order for sure. Appears that just getting out of the car and walking almost anywhere will be worth it to get away from the crowds.

++ New Posts ++