WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: August E2E

Default August E2E

I have 2 sleeping bags a 20 degree down bag and a 50 syn. bag. which would be better to take on an e2e starting in august? I know the 20 degree bag will be over kill, but will the 50 degree bag be warm enough espically when i get farther north later in the month?
    thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by jlore View Post
    I have 2 sleeping bags a 20 degree down bag and a 50 syn. bag. which would be better to take on an e2e starting in august? I know the 20 degree bag will be over kill, but will the 50 degree bag be warm enough espically when i get farther north later in the month?
    thanks for the suggestions.
    I hiked the Long Trail from mid-August to mid-September in 2007. I carried my 45 degree compact down bag and in those 30-odd days, there was no more than 2, maybe 3 at the most nights where a warmer bag may have been nicer. OTOH there were more nights where a winter-type bag would have been very uncomfortable.

When I was nearly done, I got off-trail and purchased a Sea-to-Summit liner which adds 15 degrees of warming plus wicks moisture. My reason for purchase was that I was heading to Baxter upon completing the LT where I figured I'd need it (I was right about that). I only used it once on the LT, my last night.

I don't think you really need a liner for an August hike but you may want to buy one anyway to give yourself options on future hikes.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

I was on an LT E-2-E at the same time as Cookerhiker (saw each other in the north). I was using a 50 degree bag and had NO insulated clothing. I found that my warmth was marginal twice when the temperature reached 39 degrees while in the higher mountain camps during late night/early morning hours during late August. I do sleep warm, though.
    Last edited by Quoddy; 06-07-2010 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    I was on an LT E-2-E at the same time as Cookerhiker (saw each other in the north). I was using a 50 degree bag and had NO insulated clothing. I found that my warmth was marginal twice when the temperature reached 39 degrees while in the higher mountain camps during late night/early morning hours during late August. I do sleep warm, though.
    Hey I never did catch up to you but I believe you met Northern Harrier when he leapfrogged ahead to get the car and meet me at the Canadian border!

On my first hike, it was sleeting the day I finished - August 5th near the Canadian Border.

Leaving in August, I wouldn't take a 50, but agree a 20 might be overkill, but might not?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My SOBO thru-hike was in August 1979, so it's been awhile. The first two days set records for heat, but after that it never broached 70 degrees. It ended up snowing near Smugglers Notch, and it brushed freezing atop Camels Hump where I found a discarded cotton sweatshirt that I wore the rest of the way. In addition, it rained at least part of almost every day of our hike, but it was still very memorable.

I'd probably bring my Western Mountaineering HighLite 35-degree bag, which weighs 16.5 ounces, plus a good fleece and rain jacket.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Hey I never did catch up to you but I believe you met Northern Harrier when he leapfrogged ahead to get the car and meet me at the Canadian border!
    I did see Northern Harrier on the approach trail to Journey's End on my way out. I did see you previously on August 22nd, south of Taylor Lodge on your way to Duck Brook while I was heading from Puffer (Bolton Mountain) to Butler.

++ New Posts ++