WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Question of the Day

Ok. Me and my dad (or my dad and I, for those who are picky) were having a debate today. What in your opinion is the difference between a hike and walk?
    He says a hike is anything that takes longer then 1 hour and you have gear. I say anything over two miles and is not paved. What do yall say?

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Ok. Me and my dad (or my dad and I, for those who are picky) were having a debate today. What in your opinion is the difference between a hike and walk?
    He says a hike is anything that takes longer then 1 hour and you have gear. I say anything over two miles and is not paved. What do yall say?
    Hmmm...., Back in high school I was told to take a hike, never stopped since.. I dont think I went on a walk, although I was also told to take a walk but I was hiking at the time..So what do you do??
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

They are the same.

Whatever you want it to be.

Another word is trek.
    or saunter, stroll, ramble, tromp,
    Up to you!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    They are the same.

Whatever you want it to be.

Another word is trek.
    or saunter, stroll, ramble, tromp,
    Up to you!
    Agreed. . . . there's probly more compelling arguments out there in this day and age. . .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Agreed. . . . there's probly more compelling arguments out there in this day and age. . .
    Well if there is, we didn't have one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Hmmm...., Back in high school I was told to take a hike, never stopped since.. I dont think I went on a walk, although I was also told to take a walk but I was hiking at the time..So what do you do??
    I LOVE your answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    it's all just walkin'

Images

From my point of view, If you are ascending and descending mountains you are hiking or climbing, I've walked many miles but they didn't involve large hills or mountains.
    Walking miles on a road or sidewalk does not qualify as hiking unless you add in trails and mountains. Just my perspective, No offense intended to posts to the contrary!!

My wife thinks that they are different, that a hike and a walk are not the same. For her a walk would be 1-2-3 miles on the M'boro Greenway or walk downtown adn back. A hike is when we go to the woods like Cedars of Lebanon or some other place with trails that are unpaved. I think for us guys a walk, hike, stroll, etc... may all be interchangeable but when the Mrs. says "____", I better be able to read her mind and know exactly what she means.
    Another way to put it would be that we take the dog for a walk. Anything more than that is not a walk and should be called something else.

"Hiking is just walking where it's OK to pee. Sometimes old people hike accidentally."

--Demetri Martin
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Default A generational thing.

The pioneers in the Trail community up in NY-NJ always called it "walking" (or "rambling"). Hence the term for our oldest and foremost hiking Guide, "The New York Walk Book." What they were doing is what we would call "hiking." Same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jester2000 View Post
    "hiking is just walking where it's ok to pee. Sometimes old people hike accidentally."

--demetri martin
    exactly! :d
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    exactly! :d
    What happened with that smiley face? Let's try it again.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    "Hiking is just walking where it's OK to pee. Sometimes old people hike accidentally."

--Demetri Martin
    LMAO!!!!!
    I guess I have something to look forward to when I get old!

Images

--Demetri Martin
    That's awesome. I'll have to remember it.

Close the thread. No one can top Jester's answer.

:banana

--Demetri Martin
    haha Love it.

I think a hike is something off a paved road that is somewhat strenuous -- it doesn't have to kill you but a hike should make you sweat a little.
    Adayak - 100% organic outdoor apparel

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

While I think Jester's answer is more than sufficient, I'll throw in my two cents:

For me the difference is the sense of accomplishment you have afterwards. A 45 minute hike up a mountain feels a lot better than a two hour walk around Manhattan...Then again maybe the real distinction between a hike and a walk has to do with your chances of getting run over.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++