WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default So.. How do I get to Springer Mountain and back from Katahdin?

I hear all sorts of crazy adventures along the trail, but how do I even get to the mountain? I thought of getting a plane ticket, driving, taking a bus. But i'm not sure of which is the best/cheapest.

Another question. how do I get BACK from Katahdin? What do most people do?
    Thru Hiker in Planning.

You could walk....

Images

If you download the ALDHA Companion, there is good advice on getting to the termini.

You can fly to Atlanta and get a shuttle, or take a train or bus to a nearby town and take a cab. If I were starting a thru-hike, I would call the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA, and have them take care of me. I'd ship my pack, and fly to Atlanta, and have them pick me up at the Marta station, put me up in the hostel for the night, and drop me at Springer in the morning.

Can't help you with Maine, sorry.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Talking

Might be best to check with the 2010 AT trail guides,gentleman by the name of survivor dave also does shuttles in georgia from airport or bus stations to springer,he has posted his contact info on youtube(just type in survivor dave appalachian trail).Not sure what he is charging now,good luck with your planning!

How do we get from Katahdin to millinocket, though? We figured if we got to millinocket we could take a bus from there to Bangor, and take the Bangor Airport back home.
    Thru Hiker in Planning.

You can walk, hitchhike, or arrange for a shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Edvvard View Post
    How do we get from Katahdin to millinocket, though? We figured if we got to millinocket we could take a bus from there to Bangor, and take the Bangor Airport back home.
    Catch a ride from other hikers or hitch. Its tooo easy. No worries and all that...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Edvvard View Post
    I hear all sorts of crazy adventures along the trail, but how do I even get to the mountain? I thought of getting a plane ticket, driving, taking a bus. But i'm not sure of which is the best/cheapest.

Another question. how do I get BACK from Katahdin? What do most people do?
    If you get a hitch out to Millenocket from the park, call the appalachian trail lodge @ 207-723-4321. They are in downtown at 33 Penobscot Ave. Nice resturant run by them near there too. They have a package deal envolving stay and ride--call and check on it.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

It really is too easy. I was walking along the road out of Baxter and the first car picked me up.

Images

The website aove has a dowloadable PDF with available shuttles. In Georgia I have used Survivor Dave and the Hiker Hostel; both were great help!

++ New Posts ++