WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Brief LT description

I have heard nothing but great things about the LT... I really don't know too much about it other than it is my adventure for the Summer...

I was wondering if those who are familar either frequent day/section hikers or thru... could just share highs and lows of their experiences with the long trail...

Last year I really enjoyed the 100 miles or so I did on the AT/LT and I hear the northern part only gets better so I am pretty pumped about gettin out and about again!

Godspeed

The Phoenix
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

The high points for me are the ridge walking, particurarly places like Mt. Abraham, Camels Hump, Mansfield, etc...The ladders bolted into the rocks, the lush (wet) forest, the unique lodges and camps, the beaver ponds are amazing, the beaver dams, the Great Cliff of Mt. Horrid, the huge spring in Smugglers Notch before a few steps haha, Sterling Pond, Styles Peak in the south as well as Stratton Pond.

The lows? The trail can be overgrown in places, especially in the north, stinging nettles at face level, rough tread in places, and the trail's overall roughness in the north makes miles come slow, but this also has it's charm.

You will see ski lifts on almost every single principle mountain you cross, this for me gets old...although you do have nice places to sit on the ski lifts after a long climb to the top.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

The highs are almost 5000' and the lows are in the valleys! haha ; ) THe best part of the trail for me were the views and the trees (and the changing colors as I was there in late sept/ oct). I had no trouble hitching rides and the people in towns were awesome to me, offering rides, food, etc. No troubles there at all! I fell in love with VT!

Cons: I will say one thing - There is a reason it is nicknamed "The Long Trail - A FootBATH in the wilderness." After while, I just didnt care much, or as little as possible because I really had no choice. But it was wet. Really wet. In fact, 17 of 22 days of hiking wet! But if you are prepared with plenty of fuel for warm beverages and a good book (I read Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead") than you will have no trouble weathering the storm.

You will have a blast!

The single thing that sticks out for me was my stay at Spruce Peak shelter and hanging out with other hikers at the overlook nearby (looking over Manchester Ctr.). Also: The fire tower on Glastenbury Mt. The view from atop Killington, Little Rock and Stratton ponds, The Inn at Long Trail, Camel's Hump summit, ice cream at Johnston near the post office, Tillotson Camp in a wild thunderstorm (getting out of it), climbing up the Forehead on Mansfield and down the Chin, a clear day atop Jay Peak.
    The lows?
    1) As others have mentioned, the wetness (probably 3 out of 5 days had some rain).
    2) Not being able to do it as a thru (until this Sept. when I'll be sobo).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Glastenbury Mountain...how did I miss that in my post! What about that spring at Goddard, just the best!

Also, climbing Madonna Peak through thick fog mixed with early morning rays of sunshine was amazing, and the view from Laura Woodward up to Jay Peak when you are just miles from the end (or the start!).

Great friggin trail...

I remember hiking the northern 70 miles as a young teen with my father...and what an absolute ordeal that was. I also treasure that memory greatly.

I remember climbing Jay in a driving snowstorm, and the anticipation when I first approached the aptly named Devil's Gulch. I recall sleeping under the stars outside Tillotson or Corliss and waking to find a couple porcupine quills protruding from the foot of my sleeping bag.

30 years later, I'm back - which says something about the trail and it's effect.

++ New Posts ++