WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mioxx Water Filter

I'm interested in hearing any thoughts/reviews about this water filter? I'm only doing 2-3 night trips so far (kids in college and financial responsibilities, etc.), but I'm looking for ways to reduce the pack weight. Each trip, I come home and eliminate something else I didn't use. I currently have a First Need Water Filter. Anyone using this filter?

I certainly like the weight and space-saving advantages of the MIOX compared to filter pumps. My only concern is that the MIOX requires 4 hrs. in order to immobilize cryptosporidia which I understand is a common pathogen found in water along the AT. You might want to consider Aquamira. One two-bottle system will treat enough water for multiple weekend trips, it's much cheaper than the initial cost of the MIOX, it's smaller than the MIOX, it weighs 1/3 as much as the MIOX, and it claims to immobolize Cryptosporidia in only 30 minutes (in addition to Giardia, bacteria, and viruses). And personally, I don't find the chemical taste objectionable at all. Whatever slight aftertaste I might notice at times reminds me only of very weak lemonade.

Good luck.

--BookBurner

www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Quote Originally Posted by BookBurner
    I certainly like the weight and space-saving advantages of the MIOX compared to filter pumps. My only concern is that the MIOX requires 4 hrs. in order to immobilize cryptosporidia which I understand is a common pathogen found in water along the AT. You might want to consider Aquamira. One two-bottle system will treat enough water for multiple weekend trips, it's much cheaper than the initial cost of the MIOX, it's smaller than the MIOX, it weighs 1/3 as much as the MIOX, and it claims to immobolize Cryptosporidia in only 30 minutes (in addition to Giardia, bacteria, and viruses). And personally, I don't find the chemical taste objectionable at all. Whatever slight aftertaste I might notice at times reminds me only of very weak lemonade.

Good luck.

--BookBurner

Mioxx makes the same chemical that mixing the two parts of Aqua Mira makes. The 4 hours is ultra conservative, and a filter is also no promise of avoiding crypto because it only takes a single organism to infect you. However, it isn't that common.

Gravity

I have the Aqua Mira and I've used it. I don't find the taste objectionable. I didn't know that the Mioxx uses the same chemical combination as the Aqua Mira. I can find other ways to spend that $129 beside buying a container to mix the same chemicals!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    I have the Aqua Mira and I've used it. I don't find the taste objectionable. I didn't know that the Mioxx uses the same chemical combination as the Aqua Mira. I can find other ways to spend that $129 beside buying a container to mix the same chemicals!
    There is an advantage to Mioxx - It makes the chemical (Chlorine Dioxide) from salt, water and electricity. That means you don't have to mix the two chemicals and wait 5 minutes like with the Aquamira and you don't have to worry about running out (as long as you have enough salt and battery power). Cost wise it's tough to say which would be cheaper over a thruhike. Weight wise is also tough, as you might have to carry two supplies of the aqua mira, but you might also have to carry extra batteries for the Mioxx. But with Mioxx you don't have to worry about finding more in the next town.

Anyway, in my opinion it's pretty much a wash...

Gravity

Default Water Treatment Cost

Gravityman raised the issue of cost so I thought I might share some numbers I calculated several months ago. Below are the rough costs associated with treating enough water to get you from Ga. to Me. with the indicated systems:

Polar Pure $10.00
    Potable Aqua $190.00
    Aquamira $135.00
    MIOX $130.00
    Boiling $735.00

-- BookBurner

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

For hike durations of a few weeks or less, you can also repackage Aquamira into two smaller bottles to save a few more ounces.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    For hike durations of a few weeks or less, you can also repackage Aquamira into two smaller bottles to save a few more ounces.
    This is the same setup I use. Very light.

I also put a Sweet Water Siltstopper inline on my Platypus. Works well to ensure you don't get any grit and grime in my water.

Images

One note on both the Aqua Mira and Mioxx. Neither one of them will remove suspended particles or debris in the water. David R suggests putting a filter in line before you treat the water and that may be a good ideif you don't like the particles. I have used Aqua Mira and like it. I have seen the Mioxx device used and found that impressive too, but the initial cost is a bit expensive I think. They are both lighter than a filter. I still use a filter but I too am trying to lighten pack weight.

Thanks to all of you for your observations and comparisons on the Mioxx. I really appreciate being able to ask questions here and learning from experienced hikers. I've been backpacking for the past two years, but haven't done any extensive overnights yet. The most I've done is a 3-night out on Mt. Rogers, VA (read, SNOW in October, ice-covered trees, shelter full!). I also climbed most of the mountains in Acadia this summer as well as some of Katahdin. Because the forecast was calling for thunder storms about the time we were to reach Knife's Edge, the ranger sent us up a different trail than we had planned--the Helon Taylor Trail. According to him, this was an easier trail and we'd get to the top sooner. He obviously didn't realize our climbing pace! We didn't make it to the top because we simply ran out of time. That trail has boulders the size of small houses! We had to take our packs off, figure out handholds, etc., and then struggle up. Are all Katahdin trails like that one? We started climbing at 8:15 and got off the mountain at 7:30! We're slow hikers, but we're persistant. Next summer, we're camping at Chimney Pond and getting to the summit! Got a little off subject here... thanks for the information on the water filter.

Default miox is not for the mountains

its for emergency treating of your tap water in case of a water issue.it has no place on the at.neither do any pills lights or boiling. only a filter will leave your exsperience un touched and freash.common put down the pills and the lights and the mixed oxident ots soooo uncool.carry the wait,use your elbo grease and go out and drink like real men and woman do. cold and straight...with no bite....smooth water!matthewski has spoken.ill go back into my corrner now.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    its for emergency treating of your tap water in case of a water issue.it has no place on the at.neither do any pills lights or boiling. only a filter will leave your exsperience un touched and freash.common put down the pills and the lights and the mixed oxident ots soooo uncool.carry the wait,use your elbo grease and go out and drink like real men and woman do. cold and straight...with no bite....smooth water!matthewski has spoken.ill go back into my corrner now.
    You heard the man. In all seriousness, the Mioxx is awesome. I used Aqua-Mira on my 1,000 mile section hike this year, but some people that I hiked with for a while used the Mioxx and loved it. I would hike with it any day. One thing worth noting though, the chemical taste gets worse over time, not better. That is a weird phenom.

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

One thing that I have been told is that the miox is great for large groups, but not as good for solos. I have used the katadin hike pro, and liked it....but it's bulky and I had some trouble with my tubing......just bought a steri-pen.....the price hurt, but I'm looking forward to the convience

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Registered Trademark

Yes the Mioxx is overkill, it's designed for military use in environs where the water has been contaminated by horribly nasty things and for use if your tapwater is ever contaminated but the security blanket is provides is nice (along with the size and weight) plus there are no moving parts and no weird filters or cartridges to find and replace; the only component is regular old salt. Plus it's great if you hike in places other than the AT (where the water is relatively clean by international standards). I haven't had mine long but I really like it and I won't be going back to mixing chemicals and it sure beats pumping water through a rock.
    In your heart you know it's flat.
    - R.A. Wilson

++ New Posts ++