WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default GPS Coordinates for Moore's Spring Shelter

Does anyone have the coordinates for the old Moore's Spring Shelter? I know it is gone now but I thought I might check out the spring and the old remains this weekend. I was unable to find the coordinates anywhere online. Thanks

Images

Never even heard of it! Is (or rather was) it along the AT somewhere, or off one of the other trails?

Images

Default Old Shelter Site

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Never even heard of it! Is (or rather was) it along the AT somewhere, or off one of the other trails?
    From my understanding it was along the original A.T. before they rerouted it over Fontana Dam. I have also heard several reports stating it is one of the best springs in the GSMNP.

Images

I just discovered that Moore's Spring is located half a mile east of Gregory Bald, presumagly along the Gregory Bald Trail. Part of that used to be the old AT prior to relocation; went down to Deals Gap, I believe. That would put the spring at the vicinity of Campsite 13. I wonder if that's also the old shelter site?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by volleypc View Post
    Does anyone have the coordinates for the old Moore's Spring Shelter? I know it is gone now but I thought I might check out the spring and the old remains this weekend. I was unable to find the coordinates anywhere online. Thanks
    lon=-83.8582323°W lat=35.5200867°N

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lon=...67&datum=nad83
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

It's piped, so you know it's safe. I once had a young couple assure me of that at the Icewater Spring. I pointed out that we could see where the water entered the pipe and that the Boulevard Trail lay immediately above. They were totally unfazed. Someone had convinced them that the NPS guaranteed that water out of a pipe was potable and the government stood behind it.

I wouldn't think of drinking untreated out of that spring. However, I had a female ranger friend whose husband and a friend, both also rangers, had contracted Giardia drinking untreated water out of Roaring Fork above Gatlinburg. Drinking untreated water out of that fork is tantamount to drinking out of a small village's sewer outfall (LeConte Lodge). I would chance drinking out of Moore's Spring...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by volleypc View Post
    I have also heard several reports stating it is one of the best springs in the GSMNP.
    not sure if it is the best but it is the coldest
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

colder than TriCorner? WOW. I havent drank from that spring, although Ive been by it many times.

Yes, the AT used to go over Gregory Bald and then over to Doe Knob. Not sure exactly when it was relocated. I have been on parts of the old AT where it leaves Walker Gap south of the park, through Deels Gap, and out toward Gregory. If you know what sort of signs/traces to look for, you can do a pretty good job of retracing where it follows along those ridgelines.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    colder than TriCorner? WOW. I havent drank from that spring, although Ive been by it many times.

Yes, the AT used to go over Gregory Bald and then over to Doe Knob. Not sure exactly when it was relocated. I have been on parts of the old AT where it leaves Walker Gap south of the park, through Deels Gap, and out toward Gregory. If you know what sort of signs/traces to look for, you can do a pretty good job of retracing where it follows along those ridgelines.
    I've drunk from Moore's Spring every chance I got. I've hiked the old AT from Parson's Bald over Doe Knob as an NPS-approved off-trail hike. It was interesting. I'm sure it's much more overgrown than it was back when I hiked it...

++ New Posts ++