WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thumbs up Blue Ridge Parkway Celebrates 75 Years

The Blue Ridge Parkway is celebrating 75 years this year (1935-2010). I have travelled it by car twice, but only as far down to Mt. Mitchell. I someday want to finish it, as it ends down in the GSMNP. This has to be one of the nicest road trips. Has anyone else travelled it? What are your thoughts? Also, I saw this for it:http://www.blueridgefriends.org/

My experience on the Parkway is to get there in late May early June, take your time and enjoy the wild flowers and blooming trees.
    J D Cool

Images

Default Bear on the Parkway

Little bear checking out cars on the Parkway last Saturday near Mt. Mitchell. I guess he was celebrating too.

Images

My wife and I had each travelled bits and pieces of it before we got married back in '74, and explored more bits and pieces in the years after that. Back in the '90's (I need to change the way I refer to things! Makes me sound old.), we decided to explore the entire thing, from south of the Shenandoah Vally to the Smokies. Took two weeks to do so. Set up a base camp at one of the campgrounds, and explored the area. Moved down to another campground, and did the same thing, until we reached the end. This was in October, so it did get a little cool, and we had some rain and wind storms. Nevertheless, it was one of the most fun things we'd done in years.

75 years. Wow!

++ New Posts ++