WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 8 Days till I leave and I feel LOST.

So I have been scrambling around trying to get everything under control so I can leave for Maine on the 24th.

I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers to:
    1. I plan on starting my hike on the 26th, does that mean I summit Khatadin on the 25th?
    2. Do I have to make reservations at any special place before I start hiking?
    3. Do I have to call anyone and make reservations in order to be in baxter?

4. Does anyone have a resupply list for SOBOers? I already have 30+ drops and I havn't passed virginia.

Thank you so much for the help!

8 days and counting!

RELAX!

Summit whichever day suits you! Don't do it in the rain. Enjoy the view!

No reservations, forget the words "have to"!

By the middle of July you'll have a grip on what drops need to be bumped forward. Be ready to improvise.

Go have fun you lucky slob!!!!!!!!!!!!

Images

Whether you need reservations at Baxter depends on your plan. If you want to camp in the park either the night before or the night after a SOBO start, then as I understand the system, that requires camping reservations.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority....ervations.html

Looks like at this point you need to call the Reservation Office at the park, since you are inside the 14 day window. The good news is that according to the online system, there are several sites left at Khatadin Stream campground.

As for resupply, that depends on what you've done already. If you've purchased food and packed mail drops for the first half of your hike, that's fine. Go with that plan. As you hike, you can refine your plan and have your maildrop control person change things as needed. You'll likely find you can buy most or all of what you need along the way, so if you haven't packed mail drops, just bring some money and a credit card. Or use some combination of the two plans. You'll figure it out.

Happy trails.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Bug spray.
    Money.
    Warm hat.
    Reservation for camping at KStream in Baxter.
    More bug spray.
    More money.
    One warm hat is enough.

Im confused as to where Khatadin stream actually is? Would I stay there before I start heading down Khatadin or after I reach the bottom?

Images

You should send a resupply box to Shaw's of Lakeshore House in Monson and The Stratton Motel in Stratton. From there, you can figure it out as you go along from your guide book.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barbuto View Post
    Im confused as to where Khatadin stream actually is? Would I stay there before I start heading down Khatadin or after I reach the bottom?
    It is a campground on the AT in Baxter State Park. Camp there, hike the Hunt trail up and down, camp again. You can see Katahdin from the campground.

Other options but that is the simple answer.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    You should send a resupply box to Shaw's of Lakeshore House in Monson and The Stratton Motel in Stratton. From there, you can figure it out as you go along from your guide book.
    Here' Shaw's info:

Shaws Lodging
    PO Box 72
    Monson, ME

207-997-3597

we'll probably run into each other there as i'll be right ahead of you in the 100 mi. and staying on to work the week of the 3rd before continuing on south. i'll keep an eye out for your box and if you want hold you a room or a spot in the bunkroom- better yet give dawn a call and let her know. have a great hike !!

I just booked a lean-to at Katahdin Stream, for June 28/29 there are probably a few more openings. All you have to do is call the Baxter State Park. The Birches may also be available. Lean-to sites cost $30.00 a night. I think the entrance fee for out of state residents is $15.00. You can begin your ascent up Katahdin about 4,000 feet in just over five miles from the campground. Take the Hunt trail/AT/. Leave early, bring lots of water and layers. It has been known to sleet in July. Be sure to sign the trail register. Katahdin Stream is west of Abol campground and close to 1/2 hour form the park Gate by car. The park is 16-18 miles NW of Millinocket, ME.

I have a reservation for a campsite at Katahdin Stream the night of June 24. I don't know how many tents are allowed at each campsite, but it cost $30, so I would assume they allow a few (Kate! and I are sharing already). You are welcome to share my site with me too! PM me for details.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barbuto View Post

You have to climb Katahdin to get to the starting point. Then you climb back down. It's a ten mile round trip, so you'll want to start early in the morning and have a camp site set up when you are done. Hence the suggestion to have a camp site reservation for two nights. Travel to Baxter SP, camp, then climb Katahdin, come back down, camp, then continue south the next morning.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

stay at abol campground. 6 miles round trip. less crowded camping. hitch the 3 miles to the AT the next morning. no problem getting a ride

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    stay at abol campground. 6 miles round trip. less crowded camping. hitch the 3 miles to the AT the next morning. no problem getting a ride
    Good advice - and as others have said in other ways, don't sweat the details. Figure out how much food you'll need between resupply points, be conservative, and if you have extra, you'll just have bigger meals on the last day or two before the next resupply. Let it happen - don't MAKE it happen. Enjoy your youth.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Im gonna be climbing K on June 27th. Im staying the night of the 26th at The AT Lodge in Millinocket and then taking the shuttle to the park in the morning. The night of the 27th I have a tent site all to myself so if anyone else wants to join me its room for 6 people and Ill be pretty clueless too... pretty excited to see all these people starting around the same time as me!
    2010 SoBo Attemptee. Spraied ankle in PA. Worst day of my life.

Agreed about don't sweat the small stuff. Get the reservation, have a few twenties or so and enough food to get you to Monson (worst case buy a thing or two at White House Landing), hike there, reassess and keep moving. Any worrying you do beyond this much (assuming you're in half-decent physical shape) is not strictly necessary, and I'm sure even this list overstates slightly.

The extent of the pre-hike effort I made was to get a reservation somewhat in advance (a month? no longer really remember), to buy food for the 100 Mile Wilderness the night before I took buses ending up at Medway, and that was it. (I didn't absolutely need any particular backpacking gear I didn't already have from countless other, significantly shorter, trips.) Most notably I could have done a better job of figuring out exactly where to spend the night, how to get there, then how to get to BSP, but it worked out anyway. (I recommend AT Lodge, personally.) It still all went fine. It'll go fine for you.

Images

I live in Maine so logistically it was a bit easier for me. I drove up to Millinocket the first week of January and waited in line at 3 in the morning to get my reservation for KSC. Probably didn't need to do that but I wanted to be sure to get a site for June 1 start date. My site was the closest one to the base of the big K. I camped out on night one, hiked all day on day two, camped out after a perfect class one day atop Katahdin and hiked on on day three. You can leave your pack at the ranger station and borrow a daypack for the climb if you so choose. Carry eight to ten days worth of food to get you to Monson and go from there. And most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!
    skinny d

Quote Originally Posted by jwalden View Post
    Agreed about don't sweat the small stuff. Get the reservation, have a few twenties or so and enough food to get you to Monson (worst case buy a thing or two at White House Landing), hike there, reassess and keep moving. Any worrying you do beyond this much (assuming you're in half-decent physical shape) is not strictly necessary, and I'm sure even this list overstates slightly.

The extent of the pre-hike effort I made was to get a reservation somewhat in advance (a month? no longer really remember), to buy food for the 100 Mile Wilderness the night before I took buses ending up at Medway, and that was it. (I didn't absolutely need any particular backpacking gear I didn't already have from countless other, significantly shorter, trips.) Most notably I could have done a better job of figuring out exactly where to spend the night, how to get there, then how to get to BSP, but it worked out anyway. (I recommend AT Lodge, personally.) It still all went fine. It'll go fine for you.
    I took a nero at White House Landing. Well worth the trip. Try the one pound hamburger. The pizza's good, too.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I took a nero at White House Landing. Well worth the trip. Try the one pound hamburger. The pizza's good, too.
    Quite agree, did all that except nero (depending what distance you want to stretch the term) and the pizza. It's also kind of fun in its own right to get a personal water taxi ride to/from WHL. :-D

Antlers Campsite is several miles south of WHL and has some really sweet lakefront spaces, for what it's worth, and its privy is awesome, if you make the WHL day a shorter day. I took this picture from Antlers, standing maybe a dozen feet from my tent.

Images

Starting in Maine is more difficult in principle than it is in practice. It will all become clear once you get there.

Especially don't fret about the maildrops on down the trail. Deal with the 100-mile Wilderness, then the next section, then the next section.

If you keep hiking, it will become easier.

PS--Good luck!

SOBO Pride!
    Last edited by Marta; 06-18-2010 at 07:07.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

With regard to sharing a individual tent site, dont plan on it. Baxter is very strict about their rules, the number of people in the group has to match the reservation and the maximum capacity of the individual site. (there are group sites but few would reserve them due to location). If you do join someone at site, you can probably pay at the gate to add a person as long as its under the maximum capacity. The Birches is a great option if they will let you use it, its just up the road from Katahdin steam campground and a lot less busy. There is also a bunkhouse at Katahidn Stream which is handy during bug season. I do recomend staying at Katahdin stream or the Birches when you come down from the summit, as you next option is outside the park at Abol Bridge campground. There is a store (expensive but convienient) there so you can buy some short term supplies if needed.

Here is the link to Baxter State Park website where you can make campground reservations and day use parking reservations.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/

The clerks in the reservations office are pros at the rules and are usually extemely helpful over the phone, let them know what you are doing and they will make sure you are covered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++