WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Default Hike Suggestions in Medicine Bow National Forest, WY

Has anyone been to Medicine Bow National Forest in WY? Planning on going there soon and trying to decide a good friday to tuesday hike. Willing to piece together some shorter ones. One of my thoughts was a few days hike and then going to a high peak on the last day.

Also thinking the CDT through there to start the wheels turning on that trail.

I am taking someone on their first hiking trip, so don't want to get too crazy. Taking a day first to get used to the altitude. Thinking 10 miles is about right for the days hiking.

Thanks in advance,

Coffee

I was there last September and spent 3 days day-hiking around. My partner had more difficulty with altitude so we didn't hike to the very highest elevations. Don't have time now for a detailed reply; I'll get back to you later. Meanwhile, you can get good advice from WB westerners such as Footslogger (who lives in Laramie), Mags, & Garlic08.

10 miles the first day? And you come from -8'.?
    Maybe a base camp, short hike day..or two.
    Altitude is sneaky.
    To comfortably climb some 16-17,000' Mexican volcanoes, we sit and hydrate the first day...mostly water..

The Medicine Bow is very special, go slow, enjoy.

I loved the CDT through the forest especially the Huston Park Wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    10 miles the first day? And you come from -8'.?
    Maybe a base camp, short hike day..or two.
    Altitude is sneaky.
    To comfortably climb some 16-17,000' Mexican volcanoes, we sit and hydrate the first day...mostly water..

The Medicine Bow is very special, go slow, enjoy.
    Thanks for the concern. Didn't add taking a day in denver plus didn't add the short first day. Not one for planning too much and not afraid to sit and watch the view for a days.

(in your best Curly voice..)

POIFECT!!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Footslogger is your best bet (I'd PM him) since it is his backyard. He gave some great ideas for a lower elevation a while back when I asked him.

Can't speak for Garlic, but my own personal hiking in that area is somewhat limited. The CDT, a day hike to Medicine Bow Peak (awesome!) and a few other outings here and there over the years.

I am curious to see what is suggested as I plan on backpacking there the weekend after the 4th of July.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Default Medicine Bow Peak

I hiked the peak several years back on my first trip to WY. I was in good shape and had no real trouble with altitude however my friends that lived there did believe it or not. Its a stead climb up via switch backs but well worth the view. Lots of natural lakes and good fishing there too. You'll love it.
    Martha (Lead Dog)

Thanks for the comments and tips. Sent Footslogger a PM. Taking my girlfriend that is from New Orleans and only been to 6000ft once. Making a few different plans and going to watch her to see if she starts to feel sick. One of the perks of living in a bowl below sea level.

++ New Posts ++