WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sheep Pen Gap, Lost Cove

Hi guys, i'm planning a trip in a couple of weeks in GSMNP, and just reserved campsite #13 Sheep Pen Gap and #90 Lost Cove. Does anyone have any recent information on water source at #13? the ranger told me there is a "bear warning" at #13 as well, has anyone run into any problems recently? #90 seems to be right on the lake, is this really the case? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetT View Post
    Hi guys, i'm planning a trip in a couple of weeks in GSMNP, and just reserved campsite #13 Sheep Pen Gap and #90 Lost Cove. Does anyone have any recent information on water source at #13? the ranger told me there is a "bear warning" at #13 as well, has anyone run into any problems recently? #90 seems to be right on the lake, is this really the case? Thanks.
    We were just at #13 this past week. The water source was a muddy mess, I wouldn't think you could even filter anything from it. We didn't even attempt it.
    I could see why there were bear warnings, it's a heavily used site, with empty cans and trash around. Heard some wild pigs in the brush as well.....

Images

#90 is on the creek, close to but not on the lake
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

There is a good spring east of Gregory Bald at the old Moore Springs Shelter site.
    There's a clearing around the spring, it would make a very nice camping spot, the old shelter was there.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by veteran View Post
    There is a good spring east of Gregory Bald at the old Moore Springs Shelter site.
    There's a clearing around the spring, it would make a very nice camping spot, the old shelter was there.
    sweet! i read about the Moore Springs Shelter, but wasn't sure how far it is from Gregory Bald. I think I have even seen pictures of the old shelter that was falling apart. So, I guess, the shelter was completely removed? And I doubt a lot of people use this site, there probably won't be too much trash or nosey bears. Thanks!

Moore Spring Shelter, Roger Howell April 20, 1941

Link to Photo
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

We stayed there last July. There were four of us, another couple and I think three or four more. That tends to keep the bears out of camp, except at night. Around fifteen years ago, my wife and I were there alone, after a large group had departed. The big bear which took my wife's (empty) pack in the night didn't even bother to wait until dusk to come in - he just sauntered, mid-afternoon. I ran him off several times with rocks, but he kept on coming back.

The #13 spring is usable only when there's been a lot of recent rain. We hiked over to the Moore's Spring for our water. Incidentally, that is not an official campsite, and anyone staying there would probably get caught. It's grown in and there might be room for one tent, but it's such a popular spot, a ranger or a ridge runner would be likely to find a stealth camp...

There is currently a warning a both sites. I have a buddy who is at 13 tonight. I will let you know if there was any activity.

FYI.. A bear warning simply means that there is a bear in the general area and you are more likely than normal to see one. That doesnt mean you will. You should be cautious of your surroundings and properly store food and scented items. Generally speaking, if you arent doing anything foolish or just plain stupid, the bear wont be an issue, other than coming close to your campsite. Just throw a rock at it and that generally scares them away.

Folks are correct. The old shelter site is not an authorized camping site. Rangers are common this time of year. The azaleas are in bloom and there are a lot of folks that are trying to camp on the top. Since #13 is restricted occupancy, there are a lot of folks tht think they can just go up there and tent without a permit. There are a lot of citations handed out on the bald during June and July for camping without proper permit and in non-designated locations.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Unless there's a big crowd, you're likely to see bears. Cook and eat early, use the cables and enjoy the wildlife...

++ New Posts ++