WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Default Katahdin to Monson in August

Would it be unwise to start with less than ten days of food and plan on stopping at White House Landing. What type of foods can be purchased there?
    I am not young enough to know everything.

White House Landing has burgers and pizza - enough to fill you up. I think you're OK with 9 days worth of food. Katahdin Stream CG to Abol Bridge and on to the first shelter - Hurd Brook - is pretty easy as are other parts of the 100 Mile Wilderness. You may have some slow days but you'll also hike 13-15 mile days in some stretches.

the store at abol has bunches of stuff; burgers, breakfast sandwiches, groceries, etc. and you could foreseably fill your belly there for at least one good meal before moving on.

and in addition to the burgers and pizza at whl they also have an assortment of liptons, bars, ramen, summer sausage type items and other types of "traditional" hiker foods.

Images

Thanks. That's the info I was looking for. Just wanted to know if I could start out with less than 14-15 lbs of food and do some resupply at whl.

I havent been to whtehouse landing but make sure you dont confuse the statement about ABOL BRIDGE store with WHITEHOUSE LANDING. Abol bridge store is at the beginning of the wilderness, while whitehouse is a few days in. No one has yet commented if WHL has any backpackable supplies int his thread. Maybe they do but make sure you confirm it.

Images

Thanks for the heads up peakbagger. That would have been a big error on my part.

As of last year WHL had most typical hiker resuply needs: candy bars, pop tarts, tobacco, stove fuel (canisters) ramens, liptons, fresh fruit, first aid stuff, and a lot more. Of course its pricey, Its not Wal Mart. Just like you pay more at a convenience store.
    PS - I heard all types of rumors about the place on the trail...No, you dont have to be an overnight guest to have one of the 1lb burgers or any thing else made fresh to order.

My experience there was great and I highly reccomend the place.

Images

WHL resupply options (June, 2007). Plenty of ice cold sodas in the fridge.

Images

OK Phreak and putts, it will be you guys' fault if I starve to death between WHL and Monson. LOL and thanks.

++ New Posts ++