WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Default Bears Den Hostel and Trail Center

Dancer and I are in the early stages of planning our second annual fall hike. We're looking at going from Front Royal, VA NOBO to Harpers Ferry. Along the way, we'd like to stay the night at Bears Den to clean up a bit, do a load of laundry, pick up a small food drop and have a hot meal not served in a plastic bag. Does anyone know if you need a reservation to stay there or are they first come, first served? Any other advice/intel to pass on? Many thanks in advance.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Any other advice on this section to pass on would be appreciated as well. Thanx again!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

No reservation. First come, first served. Lots of room though. I don't know what you mean by hot meal. They do have a special with pizza, soda and ice cream packaged together. There aren't home cooked meals or anything like that though.

Images

Pizza is hot and it's a meal, exactly what I meant. Thanks for the advice, much obliged.

Images

Hiker Bunks are $15 , $27 for that HIKER SPECIALwith pizza,ice cream.,soda and something else....well I'm sure someone will chime in with it.

Great atmosphere ,great people .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Shower & Laundry
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Also, free pancakes ... you cook your own.

J.D.

Hooch!

I don't visit here much and just stumbled on your postings.

# 1. - Assume you know that you will be on The Roller Coaster...? Tough Section.

# 2. - I live about 90 minutes from Bears Den and could bring up re-supplies or whatever.

Are you planning on hiking into the MAHHA from there?

J.D. & SkyDog
    Happy Trails,

J.D.

J.D.

Forgot...

Here's the Bears Den Hostel info:

<http://www.bearsdencenter.org/>

J.D. & SkyDog
    Happy Trails,

J.D.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    # 1. - Assume you know that you will be on The Roller Coaster...? Tough Section.
    Ayup, that's why we're spending the night there, to recharge batteries and take it easy before polishing it off.

# 2. - I live about 90 minutes from Bears Den and could bring up re-supplies or whatever.
    Thanks, but we're planning on sending a mail drop with toiletries, a few food items, return postage, etc to the hostel. I do appreciate the offer, though.

Are you planning on hiking into the MAHHA from there?
    We are, indeed.

J.D. & SkyDog
    Looking forward to seeing you, Sky and the rest of the MAHHA gang. Always a pleasure, my friend.

As noted, no reservation is needed. Keep in mind, however, that check-in is not until 5:00 pm. If you arrive earlier, access to the entire facility will be limited.

Bear's Den is a wonderful stay!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tagless View Post
    As noted, no reservation is needed. Keep in mind, however, that check-in is not until 5:00 pm. If you arrive earlier, access to the entire facility will be limited.

Bear's Den is a wonderful stay!
    You can go into the bunk room and shower earlier in the day. There is no access to do laundry or go upstairs until 5:00.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    You can go into the bunk room and shower earlier in the day. There is no access to do laundry or go upstairs until 5:00.
    Correct - You can reach out to Bears Den beforehand and get the directions to get in. If you get there <5PM you can shower and get some cokes (honor System) out of the fridge. I highly recommend the $27 special - Laundry is a nice luxury . Also there is a smaller bunkroom in the hallway just off the main bunkroom that might be a little quieter. They have a computer but it wasn;t working last fall.

The Rollercoaster isn't so bad as long as it isn't brutally humid (I did the same section in 3.5 days last fall when it was in the 90's and very humid.) I'd love to go back in cool weather,m but I still need to get FR to Springer done
    This thread has some more info....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...coaster&page=2
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

I stayed there in January, headed south. Computer was working. Very nice people, and the pizza sure tasted good.

Also, the 'roller coaster' wasn't that tough. Maybe it was the low temps.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Ayup, that's why we're spending the night there, to recharge batteries and take it easy before polishing it off.

Thanks, but we're planning on sending a mail drop with toiletries, a few food items, return postage, etc to the hostel. I do appreciate the offer, though.

Looking forward to seeing you, Sky and the rest of the MAHHA gang. Always a pleasure, my friend.
    OK. If anything changes/happens, call me - I will post my cell number in a PM over on HF.

Have Too Much Fun!
    Happy Trails,

J.D.

J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Tagless View Post
    Your post reminded me... There's a "secret code" to get in the back door. I forget how that works; but, has something to do with your ThruHiker registered number. I read the sign on the back door this past Winter and promptly forgot what the procedure is

It may be used only in the "off seasons" to accommodate ThruHikers....?
    Happy Trails,

J.D.

Stayed here after starting in Harpers Ferry and absolutely loved it! The people running the hostel couldn't be nicer, the hiker special is a great value when compared to other hostels on the trail, the place is clean and has lots of cool history. Don't miss it!

++ New Posts ++