WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rusty's Hard Time Hollow

I'm in Waynesboro having just left Rusty's. I understand that there has been much confusion as to whether Rusty is open or closed (or at least I was confused). In any case, I promised Rusty I would post a message from him on Whiteblaze but regrettably forgot it--it was written on a blackboard and saved by my camera, which I left at the motel.

My paraphrase of the message is that Rusty is rock n' rolling (he specifically rejected the open/closed terminology) for I believe March through July and otherwise only to Alumni. Basically he said he would welcome any walk-in during the Nobo rush, but wanted a lower profile at other times.

This is my recollection but I will get his message posted verbatim when I arrive in Harper's Ferry.

Birdy

Ga -> Me 2010

Does anyone really care?

whatever..........

Bfd

I'd say that's good news if its news at all.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Does anyone really care?
    Sure they do. Rusty is a trail legend. Thousands have enjoyed his hospitality over the years (decades?)

He's now old and probably weary of the frustrations and sniping associated with running a "donation" based hostel.

I can understand that. Though I've never run a hostel, I've done a lot of trail related things. It's never easy and often isn't even pleasant. I debate with myself often about whether to give up the frustrations of putting out trail newsletters, or of organizing a local land trust's stewardship needs.

People find it easy to criticize those who do important things. They rarely volunteer to try to do better.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    My paraphrase of the message is that Rusty is rock n' rolling (he specifically rejected the open/closed terminology) for I believe March through July and otherwise only to Alumni.
    Still hanging on to that March thing.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Sure they do. Rusty is a trail legend. Thousands have enjoyed his hospitality over the years (decades?)

He's now old and probably weary of the frustrations and sniping associated with running a "donation" based hostel.

I can understand that. Though I've never run a hostel, I've done a lot of trail related things. It's never easy and often isn't even pleasant. I debate with myself often about whether to give up the frustrations of putting out trail newsletters, or of organizing a local land trust's stewardship needs.

People find it easy to criticize those who do important things. They rarely volunteer to try to do better.

Weary
    I don't know why you like to pick on me...What have I ever done to you.

If I ever called you an idiot for preaching GW...well I'm sorry

I've been a defender of Rusty in the past and I really enjoyed my stay there, but it seems like posts like this seem to pop up every single year. It gets tired after a while, no?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I don't know why you like to pick on me...What have I ever done to you.

If I ever called you an idiot for preaching GW...well I'm sorry

Sorry. However, I wasn't picking on you -- at least not deliberately. However, you have a talent for asking questions about people and issues I think important to defend, and therefore feel obligated to answer.

You're my favorite conservative, i.e. someone who acts responsibily, even if you don't believe in the right reasons.

BTW what is this "preaching GW" that you think I do? I preach about a lot of things. I just can figure out which of these is "GW."

Weary

His mother just passed away, he was snowed in for 30-something days and the rangers had to snowmobile food and supplies in to the hollow for him. he called up Wingfoot and said something along the lines of, "I'm having a rough time here, can you hold up on putting me in the book? i MIGHT throw in the towel," wingfoot went and published that rusty is closed... I'm hiking SOBO and I just stayed at Rusty's the same day Birdy was there.22nd or 23rd? The man is a true saint. His hostel has so much history. Hes hung out with Ed Garvey and Earl Shaffer, playing guitar on the back porch. It is one the most unforgetable experiences I've had on the trail. I carry my dremel tool and some diamond bits with me. I spent about 6 hours etching the windows of his vans with the Hard Time Hollow logo... er, the whole image that he's got on his shirts. He gave me two t-shirts and aggresively tried to refuse my donation. He is no con artist, if you think such a thing... think it to yourself. It is common sense, when you get soda, beer, burgers, snacks, a place to sleep, and blueberry pancakes in the morning, It costs him so you give a little in return. I'll be visiting Rusty once i finish the trail, because its people like Rusty that make people like you and I fall in love with the trail all over again. - Addicted to Freedom

ETCHASKETCH sobo 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Etchasketch View Post
    His mother just passed away, he was snowed in for 30-something days and the rangers had to snowmobile food and supplies in to the hollow for him. he called up Wingfoot and said something along the lines of, "I'm having a rough time here, can you hold up on putting me in the book? i MIGHT throw in the towel," wingfoot went and published that rusty is closed... I'm hiking SOBO and I just stayed at Rusty's the same day Birdy was there.22nd or 23rd? The man is a true saint. His hostel has so much history. Hes hung out with Ed Garvey and Earl Shaffer, playing guitar on the back porch. It is one the most unforgetable experiences I've had on the trail. I carry my dremel tool and some diamond bits with me. I spent about 6 hours etching the windows of his vans with the Hard Time Hollow logo... er, the whole image that he's got on his shirts. He gave me two t-shirts and aggresively tried to refuse my donation. He is no con artist, if you think such a thing... think it to yourself. It is common sense, when you get soda, beer, burgers, snacks, a place to sleep, and blueberry pancakes in the morning, It costs him so you give a little in return. I'll be visiting Rusty once i finish the trail, because its people like Rusty that make people like you and I fall in love with the trail all over again. - Addicted to Freedom

ETCHASKETCH sobo 2010
    well that's awesome. there's a lot you don't know though

Many times I've wondered, How much there is to know. I haven't done a background check on the guy, or caught wind of his alleged "con artist" ways first hand, but when you meet good people you know it. Rusty is good people, no doubt. Rusty's Hard Time Hollow is open, and if you visit this year you will not be let down. That is as simple as it gets. Not much more to know. Maybe the guy likes to lather himself up in vasoline and roll around in the chicken coop in his birthday suit, I have no idea. thats none of my business... He'll treat you like gold and you'll have a memorable visit, to say the least.

"I may not know where I am, but I ain't lost" - RHTH

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Okay, this Spring his word was that the Hollow was definitely CLOSED:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59290

Guess he's had another change of heart. So long as he can handle it, good for him, and good for the hikers who want to experience Rusty's. It's a one-of-a-kind place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    well that's awesome. there's a lot you don't know though
    You've been dancing around Rusty for years now making negative comments without saying anything. Put your big boy pants on and say what you want to say. Or just don't say anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    You've been dancing around Rusty for years now making negative comments without saying anything. Put your big boy pants on and say what you want to say. Or just don't say anything at all.
    my big boy pants?

you're big boy pants.

your big boy pants

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    my big boy pants?
    Well, I would leave your choice of pants to you. Or wear none at all if you prefer. Just tell us what you think we should know about Rusty, or stop hinting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++