WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I've been shopping around for a Sleeping Bag

and I'm looking to shave the pounds and oz. on my thru-hike next summer. The wealth of sleeping bags available is mind blowing, but I've found a bag that meets my price demands and weight demands. I wanted a bag in the 2 pound range and the one I've found is the Slumberjack Super Guide 30°F ThermoliteŽ Extreme Sleeping Bag (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226)
    Has anyone seen this bag or had any experiences with it, and do you have any other suggestions for a good light and not expensive bag for my hike. Thanks.

Images

Looks like what I have been looking for.
    I'm not really all that worried about the weight at this time (23 Lbs w 4 days food & 1 L water, FSO) but my bag packs at 8" x 18" so kindof takes up most of my pack. So one that is the same temp rating at a pack size of 6" x 16" will be ggggrrrrrrrreeeeat! And at 1/2 the weight that aint bad either (current bag = 4Lb 2 Oz).
    Price seems nice too.
    You do know that the Mfg's temp rating is usually fairly optimistic right? I sleep way warm, so a Mfg's temp rating of 30o should do me down to an easy 25o, but that is just me.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

yeah, add at least 15 degrees to the temperature rating of any bag. You could check out Marmot's Never Winter or Never Summer bags, around $160. Marmot's cheapest one runs around $70, though it's a little narrow in the feet. Or Kelty makes a couple for around $90 that just don't pack quite as small. Lafuma makes one around 2 lbs. for about $100 and it packs quite small. Otherwise if you're looking to go cheaper than that, that Slumberjack's probably your best bet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by UCONNMike
    and do you have any other suggestions for a good light and not expensive bag for my hike. Thanks.

Campmor has a 20 degree down bag that I use and like very much. There's one on ebay right now for sale, it's a long. comes in around 2 pounds. I spent a couple of very cold mornings in it. One on top of Tray mountain, where the wind was blowing right into the shelter, and another one in Muskrat Creek shelter, where I awoke to my washrag frozen solid as a rock. both nights I was toasty warm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

It's at 57.00 right now. Campmor sells it for around a hundred or so. You've only got 17 hours left on this bid. Great deal. Check it out.

Here it is on the Campmor site.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...tail_store.jsp
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Wow, thanks a bunch. I'll take a look at that.

Images

Check out the Kelty Light Year Ultralight bags. They make two versions (two different temps). Both can be had for under $100 on Campmor, and both are filled with down and compress nicely.

I have a Mountain Hardware 15 degree synthetic bag, and it is heavy, doesn't compress well even with a compression sack, but it is really warm.

My intro to the world of down bags will be one of these Kelty bags for summer camping and hiking. I went with a cold weather bag thinking it would do everything, and it would if I used it as a quilt I suppose, but why carry more bag than you need?

I have the Slumberjack Elitist(sp?), right at 2 lbs, used it in 20 range with no problems.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default sleeping bag

and I'm looking to shave the pounds and oz. on my thru-hike next summer. The wealth of sleeping bags available is mind blowing, but I've found a bag that meets my price demands and weight demands. I wanted a bag in the 2 pound range and the one I've found is the Slumberjack Super Guide 30°F ThermoliteŽ Extreme Sleeping Bag (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226)
    Has anyone seen this bag or had any experiences with it, and do you have any other suggestions for a good light and not expensive bag for my hike. Thanks.

spend a few extra bucks & go for a 20 degree bag...you'll be glad you did!

p.s. my WILD BILL 2.0 (20 degree bag) came from Campmor a couple years ago....suggested retail:$99.
    Last edited by Jaybird; 11-10-2004 at 09:23.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

Unfortunately from 30 degrees to 20 there's usually a big jump either in price, compactability of the bags or weight. If you can spare the weight, you could always go with a fleece liner and a 30-degree bag, which would add (subtract?) about 15 degrees to the rating of your bag. It's roughly a pound and they run $15. Plus you can ditch it and might be more comfortable in a higher-degree bag during the hot and muggy summer nights.
    Also remember that a tent adds about 10 degrees of warmth from what it is outside, so if you're in a shelter, it'll feel colder because you'll be exposed underneath and to drafts.
    on a side note, I've often heard that Western Mountaineering bags are warm and they tend not to exaggerrate their temp ratings as much.

The comments above about going to a bag ratings is correct to get a warmer/lighter you usually have to pay more, I started my thru hike 2/12/00 with a 15 degree bag, a Marmot Pinnacle Long (675 Down) $300., 3 1/4 lbs. today Marmot has a 900 down, Helium Long, 2 lbs for $359. More money but a 1 1/4 lb savings.

Marmot also has a Hydrogen Long bag, 1 lb 9 oz, 900 down, $309.

Although I have used either of the new bags, Marmot Impressed me with the Pinnacle bag (never got cold even 10 degrees), I would consider the 900 bags for shaving lbs, if you are doing summer thru hike a degree would be a consideration to start with, with want to buy two bags and switch to 15 degree bag later when it gets cold.

I had that bag. The rating is far from the real rating. I believe it got down to maybe just below 50 and I was starting to get cold. I hated that bag. Save your money up and get something better. Sleeping bag is not where you want to go cheap. I ended up getting a WM Highlite. Much better buy, and is $200. Not too bad for a down bag weighing in at 16 oz and rated for 35F. They have other that are a bit heavier but go down to lower temps.

++ New Posts ++