WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Etiquette

Default Dog Etiquette

First off, sorry if this question is a repeat.

What is the proper etiquette for people with dogs on the trail?

I was out hiking today and this yellow dog (no leash) comes sprinting up the trail and jumped on me. The dog was only being playful, but I did not welcome his advances. The owners come slowly strolling along a few minutes later and complained to me "You made him sad, he wants you to play with him." I restrained myself from ripping them a new one, but it occurs to me that this is in bad form. They should have the dog on a leash and should be mindful of my right to hike without petting dogs.

Otherwise it was a beautiful day.

"I would have made dinner out of him had you not showed up."

Dogs on leash or on the grill, owners choice.

Images

Default dogs

depends on the dog....some dogs are smarter than some hikers i've met

I am glad to see a nonconfrontational topic on whiteblaze.
    Profile '00
    www.hikerhostel.com

I don't know if I would ever personally bring a dog out on a thru-hike, but am undecided as to whether or not I'd bring one out on a weekend or week-long trip.

I guess it really depends on how well the dog behaves around strangers.

There are some very responsible dog owners, when it comes to dogs on the trail, but a lot of people I've run into, unfortunately, either do not know how to keep their dog at bay, or just automatically expect everyone to love the dog. I do think that, regardless of how well the dog behaves, it's a good idea to keep the dog on its leash.

Default Dogs are no longer allowed on the AT...

As of now I am declaring the AT is off limits for all dogs, leashed or not.
    Exceptions: 1) sanctioned, licensed, dogs for people with impairments or disabilities. 2) If freeze dried, only three packages of dog allowed per month
    3) Only 1 can of dog per month,(please don't leave can in fire pit). People who insist on hiking with dogs, and are caught, will be made to sleep in a stuffed shelter on a rainy night with strange, stinking, wet, noisy, muddy dogs.
    When will people learn to leave their animals at home? My dog stays at home, why can't yours? Carry a gun if you are scared. Bring a human friend if you need company. Theres a reason why the National Parks don't allow them on the trails, can you guess why?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default dog-gone!

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji
    First off, sorry if this question is a repeat.

What is the proper etiquette for people with dogs on the trail?

I was out hiking today and this yellow dog (no leash) comes sprinting up the trail and jumped on me. The dog was only being playful, but I did not welcome his advances. The owners come slowly strolling along a few minutes later and complained to me "You made him sad, he wants you to play with him." I restrained myself from ripping them a new one, but it occurs to me that this is in bad form. They should have the dog on a leash and should be mindful of my right to hike without petting dogs.
    Otherwise it was a beautiful day.

ALL DOG OWNERS TAKE NOTE: FIDO STAYS ON A LEASH OR LEAVE HIM @ HOME!

its that simple!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Angry

Once again another dog owner gives the rest of us a bad rap ! When I hike or backpack with my dog you will find them on a leash. We always tent and stay
    away from shelters. Not all dogs are meant to be trailhounds. If you are going to hike with your dog TRAIN IT !! BE RESPONSIBLE !! That includes LNT !!
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

I don't have dogs, but I don't dislike dogs and I don't even mind them on the trail IF and only IF they're LEASHED--and not just when other hikers are approaching! The calmest, most playful dog can suddenly decide you are a threat if something seems amiss to it. When I pass hikers who have their dogs on a leash, I always try to say, thank you for having your dog on a leash. A few weeks ago I encountered a snarling dog the owner was trying to strong-arm and hold down to the ground while we passed. The dog was snarling and obviously not happy. The owner said, he's afraid of your sticks. I told the owner that if the dog attacked me I'd be using my sticks. I asked if they had a leash and would they please leash the dog. They did, but only after I insisted. My vote is no dogs on the trail because they often bring stupid owners along with them.

Who would have thought a dog thread would be so funny. In over 6000 miles on the AT I have seen exactly two dogs on a leash. Both of the owners were very nice women and both dogs were obviously harmless. To think that dog people will use a leash is like believing the boys will be home by Christmas.

I do understand the concept of wanting the dog to be able to run and enjoy being in the great outdoors too. I haven't met many dogs that are under strict voice command.

Images

And we have met others who have absolutely no business being on a trail because they are too aggressive, untrained to act correctly around camps, and/or the owner seems indifferent to their antics. As a pet lover and hiker, I am constantly amazed at the idiots with dogs on the trail.

Please leave the dog at home unless you are very responsible and the dog is trained to act correctly.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I'm amazed at the number of hikers that are illiterate. There's a huge sign by the door at "The Place" in Damascus that says, NO DOGS ON PROPERTY. Once a week at least I see a poor illiterate hiker with his dog tied to the picnic table in view of the sign.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    I'm amazed at the number of hikers that are illiterate. There's a huge sign by the door at "The Place" in Damascus that says, NO DOGS ON PROPERTY. Once a week at least I see a poor illiterate hiker with his dog tied to the picnic table in view of the sign.
    They can read, it's just that their dog is always a special case, not like those other dogs.

How un-PC of me. I didn't think the hiker could've been a seeing-eye human.

I would prefer people left their dogs at home. If the dog needs exercise then take him to an open field somewhere and let them run. Very rarely have I seen a leashed dog on a trail, and once was accosted by a hostile pit bull who was obviously not under voice command.

But even usually well-behaved dogs who are voice controlled often don't stay on the trail and may take off after wildlife, which may place other hikers in harms way and is in no way LNT.

A couple of weeks ago there were a couple of young hikers with 2 or 3 dogs running loose on (and off) the trail up in Giles Co. VA. One of the dogs was missing and the owners were tromping through the woods calling it's name. When my hiking partner and I got down to the car there was the dog waiting patiently by the owners car. He looked like a friendly enough pet but was not happy when we approached. He was obviously protecting the vehicle. Fortunately our car was far enough away that we could get into it without incident.

I don't think a dog on a leash on a hike is very much fun for the dog, and a dog unleashed is inconsiderate of other hikers, the wildlife and the environment in general. I believe the best solution for everyone is for the dogs to stay home.

I had 4 dog encounters during my thru-hike that were negative.

1) Unleashed Great Dane coming down off of The Priest. Although the dog growled, he was "friendly" according to the owner.

2) Attacked by a large stray black dog while on the AT just south of Port Clinton. I drove the dog off with shouting, waving Leki poles, and by throwing a large rock past the dogs head.

3) A dog whizzed on my pack while outside the Pie Lady's place in Monson. It was a neighbors dog, and not a trail dog. I was "pissed" then - its pretty funny now.

4) A couple of hiker dogs got to chasing one another at a shelter in the 100 mile wilderness. One of them ran across my tent as I set it up. I still have a muddy paw print on the tent. It pissed me off at the time.

Having said that, dogs also greatly enriched my hike. Profile & Almanac's dog Sarah was perhaps the smartest & coolest dog I ever met. D-O-G was a black stray that got ended up being adopted by a woman in Virginia. The pooch made it all the way and went home to Ohio with the hiker. Hiking with Captain and "The Kid" was also alot of fun. "The Kid" was a large yellow Lab. We had to help him up many of the rock slabs in Maine. The dog loved the trail, and did quite well. Sudden Stops & Tailgater also had a really cool Australian Sheepdog. The dog would spend all day running back & forth between the couple as they spread out on the trail.

For me, its a mixed bag. If you are going to hike a long way on the trail, I would suggest you leash your dog (for their own safety) unless your dog responds to voice commands.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Question Voice-controlled dogs and Unicorns ... both are myths.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    If you are going to hike a long way on the trail, I would suggest you leash your dog (for their own safety) unless your dog responds to voice commands.
    I have read several posts about "voice command" and "voice controlled" dogs.

Maybe it's just me, but I have _never_ seen such an animal. These terms remind me of unicorns. I've heard of them, but I've never seen one.

I'm not talking about dogs that "come" ... when they want to, or that "roll over" to show off. I'm talking about absolutely, no questions asked, dogs that obey each and every command of its owner each and every time, instantly, no matter the distraction.

Never seen such an animal to date. Well, exept for Hollywood movies.

Rain Man

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    I have read several posts about "voice command" and "voice controlled" dogs.

Maybe it's just me, but I have _never_ seen such an animal. These terms remind me of unicorns. I've heard of them, but I've never seen one.

I'm not talking about dogs that "come" ... when they want to, or that "roll over" to show off. I'm talking about absolutely, no questions asked, dogs that obey each and every command of its owner each and every time, instantly, no matter the distraction.

Never seen such an animal to date. Well, exept for Hollywood movies.

Rain Man

I have twice. One was obviously a law enforcement officer of some type out on a dayhike with his K-9 partner. Another was a backpacker with a border collie that stayed 12" from his heel at all times. Both were remarkable for their rarity.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

When I lived in Wahalla, SC, there was a lady that lived in my neighborhood who would walk her 3 austrailian sheperd dogs every day. all 3 of them were the most well behaved, obedient dogs I have ever met. She never used a leash; they would always follow her, all 3 dogs single file behind her right heel. If a car came, she would say sit, and immediately and simultaneously without any delay, all three dogs would sit where they were. She could also tell them to go to a specific point off in the distance by pointing. When they got there, she would yell "stop" and the dogs would freeze. then she would yell "come" and they would come back and sit by her heels. absolutely the most astonishing display of dog training I have ever seen.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++