WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    2010 complete

if you want to start in March or April, maybe earlier, than I think it's imperative that you hike north. I'm a section hiker, and I have boxed myself into late summer hiking simply because I have the northeast left to complete. If I could do it over, I would have started from both ends and worked toward the middle. That way I could get an early spring and late summer hike in for the year. Currently waiting for the black fly season to be over, then headed North. (leaving thurs)

Default Northbound is the way to go!!!

NOBO!! Going north, you get the southern Spring (I must admit the south has a much better spring than the north) and the New England Fall (NO ONE has a better fall than northern New England!). Also going North you get to work up to the tough terrain instead of hitting it right off the bat. Going north also you won't miss out on Thanksgiving or Christmas!

Next..many southbounders tend to start at the northern end in June..right at peak bug season, highest water levels, and maximum mud. Are they nuts?

Finally..and last but not least..who the heck wants to walk 2000+ miles just to have that non descript wooded hill known as Springer Mountain as their goal? Going north you are hiking to Katahdin...one of the grandest mountains in the east, if not the whole country.

I rest my case!!!!

DavidNH

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    ...the New England Fall (NO ONE has a better fall than northern New England!)....
    I used to think that also - I guess like many, I was taken in by the New England tourist industry with the complicity of travel magazines and their reporters.

Perhaps the myth exists because New England fall pictures typically include a white-steepled church, a covered bridge, and a lake or body of water - sometimes all 3.

And yes, I love the whole New England atmosphere & culture which seem lockstep with those fall foliage photos.

But regarding the forests themselves, I don't find NE any more colorful or robust than other parts of the Appalachian region.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post

But regarding the forests themselves, I don't find NE any more colorful or robust than other parts of the Appalachian region.
    I agree. .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Next..many southbounders tend to start at the northern end in June..right at peak bug season, highest water levels, and maximum mud. Are they nuts?

Yes!!!! Blissfully so.

Of course, the average person out there would say that anyone who goes out and walks 2000+ miles is nuts, irrespective of direction.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post

I lived in New England for five years and the fall scenery was wonderful.

I spent last October hiking through Virginia as the leaves went from green, to multicolored to brown.

I have to say that Virginia holds its own compared to New England fall foliage.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    I lived in New England for five years and the fall scenery was wonderful.

I spent last October hiking through Virginia as the leaves went from green, to multicolored to brown.

I have to say that Virginia holds its own compared to New England fall foliage.
    Ahh...come one guys, go to the Painted Desert.. The colors are the same year round, and their goregeous.... Oh, wait, we're talking about forests..Ok..
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Ahh...come one guys, go to the Painted Desert.. The colors are the same year round, and their goregeous.... Oh, wait, we're talking about forests..Ok..
    What about the Petrified Forest? Never been there, they tell me it's nice.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

What I've learned after a couple of NOBOs and a couple of SOBOs:

It doesn't matter the direction so much as the time of year when it comes to crowds.

Where you finish is not a good reason to hike a direction.
    In the end, its just the end and I remember something - somewhere- about it being about the journey, not the destination.

Ever been on Katahdin on a cloudy day?

Both ways are GREAT so it DOES NOT matter. Whats important, IMHO, is being out there- livin the life!

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    Both ways are GREAT so it DOES NOT matter. Whats important, IMHO, is being out there- livin the life!
    Sounds good. Either way usually involves coming down off a mountain into town, and climbing back up a mountain when leaving. Most unique things along the trail like the wild ponies in the Grayson Highlands/Mount Rogers area, don't change whether you are NOBO or SOBO.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    What I've learned after a couple of NOBOs and a couple of SOBOs:

It doesn't matter the direction so much as the time of year when it comes to crowds.

Where you finish is not a good reason to hike a direction.
    In the end, its just the end and I remember something - somewhere- about it being about the journey, not the destination.

Ever been on Katahdin on a cloudy day?

Sounds like a winner to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    What about the Petrified Forest? Never been there, they tell me it's nice.
    Is that a bunch of stoned trees, too scared to go near people?

Petrified and Forest, together at last, a great oxymoron, IMO.

HYOH, leave the rocks where they grew.

Ranc0r

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Ok, now that I've hiked the entire AT something I have confirmed something that I previously suspected....

Why do so many people thru hike the AT from Georgia to Maine when it makes more sense (and a better hike) to hike from Maine to Georgia?

Seems like SOBO is the way to go....
    Actually I was going to post a thread about how it appears more than 50% of the people registering on here to thru-hike live in the Southern States. I guess one could then say the reason appears simply to be "because it's there!". For myself I have been planning to thru-hike for years, and just keep putting it off (necessity). I actually dreamed at one point of starting in Maine and heading South, seemed to be the coolest way. Now I believe I would start at Springer and head Northbound. I think as other's have said, you add to your difficulties when first starting out by attempting to do a Southbound. This is something I think may discourage someone who may be not quite as prepared or seasoned as the more knowledgable and experienced hiker's out there. The beginning in Maine appears to be a more difficult start, and for someone out of condition or ill prepared, this possibly could present itself as a problem to them. I know I have heard the beginning down in Georgia is also tough, but I think there are more points to bale out and head into town if one so chooses, to recover, refresh, etc...also you are not immediately attempting to climb a huge mountain right off the start. To me it makes more sense (unless one is close to the Northern terminus) to begin in Georgia. The whole journey you will be climbing one mountain after another, and if you are successful, you get to climb Katahdin at the end.

My thoughts about a future thru:

I've done the southern section (most of Springer to Damascus) already and know what to expect as I'm getting into trail shape. The tougher-going up north is intimidating to me (haven't been there yet). Day 1 might kill me on a SOBO.

The early cold on a NOBO is not a concern. I have plenty of experience with late winter backpacking. Temps around freezing are some of the best days. The HEAT of summer from northern VA on DOES concern me. If I were hiking this year I would be suffering in this heat. The less heat on a SOBO is appealing.

Social: Even though I dislike crowds and don't mind being alone, I think I would like the social aspect of a NOBO more. I do not plan on staying in many shelters and if a shelter-scene is too crowded/crazy for me, I will simple move on and tent.....not a big deal.

I would want to hit the Whites in peak shape and the idea of finishing at K is huge in my mind.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I'm hiking NOBO because I prefer New England hiking to Southern App hiking (although I love them both), so would like to end with that. Plus, I want to end on Katahdin.

I am starting NOBO in May because that is when my work schedule allows it so am not worried about the thru-hiking crowds.

Images

Unhappy Too Hot

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby99 View Post
    How is that, when are SOBOs starting? I always thought July and Aug were the hottest months in New England and when SOBOs are starting and many NOBOs are finishing, doesnt seem to be any advantage there.
    July and August are the hottest months in New England, Sometimes June can be a little toasty as well.

I plan on leaving in early April on my NOBO. On the average, is there any one portion of AT that seems to be wetter than the rest? Or is the entire trail subject to rain storms at any given time of the year? What's the wettest months for a NOBO?

I'm curious, do most people use Rain Jackets or Ponchos?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post

most have way overpriced rain jackets. go with a poncho

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I plan on leaving in early April on my NOBO. On the average, is there any one portion of AT that seems to be wetter than the rest? Or is the entire trail subject to rain storms at any given time of the year? What's the wettest months for a NOBO?

I'm sure the entire trail is subject to rain all year long. Especially if a hurricane happened to travel up the Eastern coast. I know I have heard it rains very frequently in Maine, and have heard the state of Vermont nicknamed "Vermud"( although maybe from all the melting Northern snow?) But the South gets it's share of rain too, so yes, I would say you can't really escape the wet weather.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++