WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Oh my god! Real coffee, real sugar! Oh, the humanity!

What sort of strainer? I make cowboy coffee, too, but object (just a little) to the grounds in my cup.

A metal one that fit's in the cup. I may look heavy as a tank with my pack but baby I got coffee and sugar.
    Last edited by Forever North; 10-04-2010 at 18:09.
    Forever North

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the info on coffee! Great opinions/ideas
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Images

I ordered a case of tasters choice from amazon. Very handy to have but like other posters I'm not real picky and usually while hiking I'm mixing it with hot chocolate for breakfast. I drink the Via also and find it ok but not worth the price. Now that i have said that if I could find a way to power the keurig so i could have a K-cup of anything on the trail that would be great. Maybe the previously mentioned porter could carry it and the K-cup carosel for a selection.

Doc Mike

Images

I prefer cowboy coffee but decided to take along the free samples of the Starbucks Via on my trip last week. I usually don't like Starbucks because of the burnt taste but I enjoyed the Via. Hey, the temps were freezing down in VA, hot ANYTHING was better than nothing. I did mix some hot chocolate with one of the packets and that was really tasty.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    ...if I could find a way to power the keurig so i could have a K-cup of anything on the trail that would be great...
    Love my Keurig too... I confess to missing my Coffee People Black Tiger when I'm away.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Liv2Ride View Post
    Depends on what I'm feeling while I pack for a trip and whether it's backpacking, car camping or motorcycle camping and for how long. I've used the Nescafe packets, the Coghlans one cup filters, Snow Peak drip and the Jetboil french press....
    I ditched the plunger that comes with the Jetboil french press, plugged up the center hole it screws into, and just use a tent stake to depress it. When not using the french press, my coffee of choice is whatever free samples I can get. As for sugar and milk (or "non-dairy creamer"), why ruin the great taste of a cup of coffee with that junk? Also saves weight.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Images

All instant coffee is nasty

it had to be said
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I don't know if I'd say instant coffee is nasty, but it's definitely not coffee.

-FA

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    RainMan,
    Where do you get these little packets? I assume they must be cheaper than the Strabucks coffees (which I don't like all that much either)

Judy

I get the Taster's Choice packets at Dollar General. They aren't the best coffee, but I use either these or coffee bags. They are convenient, but need to use two packets per cup.

Where did manufacturers get the idea that a cup of coffee/hot chocolate/cider/etc. was 6 oz?

Images

I'm new to al of this so please excuse me if this sounds foolish for any reason........

I was simply going to mix a couple of teaspoons of Folgers instant along with a packet or 2 of art. sweetener into tiny ziploc baggies (2in x 2in) and toss as many as needed (overnighters) into a larger ziplock. If anyone wished, they could add powdered creamer to the bags as well.........

Heat a cup of water, dump a baggie, drink.......

Bad thinking?

Dave

Default Coffee, cream & sugar in a bag

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydave View Post
    ....Bad thinking?Dave
    Nope. It's a great idea. Sounds like you've been around long enough to know a good idea when you think of one....

Images

I use my daughters baby bottles and fill them with Nescafe "Tasters Choice", coffemate & sugar. Works great even down 26' F! When you come to a view worthy of a cup of joe, you need good coffee to compliment the view IMO
    "Trees are my temples and Forests my cathederals" - Mikhail Gorbachev

Images

I use my daughters baby bottles and fill them with Nescafe "Tasters Choice", coffemate & sugar. Works great even down 26' F! When you come to a view worthy of a cup of joe, you need good coffee to compliment the view IMO

Do people then accuse you of nursing your drink......lol

Images

Doc Mike - only when I add a nip of Baileys!
    "Trees are my temples and Forests my cathederals" - Mikhail Gorbachev

Just so people know as I didn't notice anyone mention it (I may be wrong though), there are a bunch of different kinds of VIA and now they have flavored VIA too. Just mentioning it as I like strong coffee but I don't like a dark ("charred") roast. So if you didn't like one of them you might want to try another roast and see if you like it better. In my case I think one for me would be Columbian, which is also what I drink every morning.

(No I don't work for Starbucks and they aren't my favorite coffee, but they are pretty reliable)

http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/via

Images

I brought a coffee press with me on a 2 wk section hike thru the whites year before last.Although the taste was great,I found it close to impossible to clean properly, switched to Starbucks Via last year, not as good but pre packed and no mess.

aka Kudzu
    Images

That's been my concern. I had the coffee press for my JetBoil when I used that and it was a pain. I asked for a MSR Mugmate but have never used it for fear of the same cleaning problems. I just use Taster's Choice instant.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Nescafe tubes with swiss miss. It just doesn't get any better watching the sun rise.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I brought a coffee press with me on a 2 wk section hike thru the whites year before last.Although the taste was great,I found it close to impossible to clean properly, switched to Starbucks Via last year, not as good but pre packed and no mess.
    Properly made cowboy coffee is very similar to french press, and the cleanup is a whole lot easier.

Get your water boiling, turn the heat off, add in the grounds, stir, cover, wait 4-5 minutes, stir again to get the grounds to sink. Pour into cups thru a tea strainer. Nirvana!
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by budforester View Post
    Lots of coffee discussions on WB. I'm packing single serve packets of Taster's Choice 100% Columbian or Nescafe Clasico. (and my taste buds are attuned to Community Dark Roast)

Nawlunz... hmmm... I don't know of any with chickory.
    Community coffee has instant on their website ...... with chickory (New Orleans Blend)
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++