WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    Properly made cowboy coffee is very similar to french press, and the cleanup is a whole lot easier.

Get your water boiling, turn the heat off, add in the grounds, stir, cover, wait 4-5 minutes, stir again to get the grounds to sink. Pour into cups thru a tea strainer. Nirvana!
    Quote Originally Posted by yerbyray View Post
    The way I was taught to make it was get water to boil, add grounds, cover and wait 4-5 minutes and then add a touch of cold water, makes the grounds sink to bottom of pan and pour. I have done it a hundred times in Revolutionary War reenacting camps without complaint.
    the way I was taught was to....

Get my buddy to boil, add grounds, cover and wait 4-5 minutes and then add a touch of cold water, makes the grounds sink to bottom of pan and pour. ...while I kick back and put my feet up.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Likewise, at the huts in the Whites they were selling Java Juice and I wasn't impressed with that either.

So far, Folgers singles are about the best/closest to real coffee that I've found.
    I love the Folgers Black Silk.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'd do the cowboy-coffee method (dash in a little cold water to settle the grounds) but today's grinders, be they the ones that pregrind beans in the store or the little ones that sit on your countertop, seem to grind differently and the grounds don't settle properly. (My grandmother's grinder with the crank on the top did a fine job.) I'd gather the grounds by throwing the white and shell of an egg into the pot, but that requires having an egg. So I actually bring an old-fashioned pour-over coffee filter as one of a few luxury items in my bag.

A pill envelope from CVS holds a single serving of ground coffee nicely. I'll usually brew my coffee (and a second cup, as well) into a Nalgene with a cozy made of Reflectix and flue tape. It's nice, sipping a second cup as I'm walking out of camp in the morning.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Cool

Mrs. Wayne thinks that I should carry one of these on the trail. I am almost on her side.

NewMokaExpressLarge.jpg

In the meantime, I am in the midst of a long term test between Starbuck's Italian Roast Via and Medaglio d'Oro instant espresso. Starbuck's Via wins on packaging. I suppose the instant espresso would travel ok in a Ziplock bag.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    So far, for a match or balance of ease and quality, I like Nescafe 'Taster's Choice' in the little sleeves.

RainMan

002.jpg

Now this is way too funny. This is my stash at work. I only have one and when everyone else is running around complaining about someone forgot to buy coffee, I have my Taster's Choice.
    Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Just take your favorite coffee and grind it ultra fine, as if for espresso. It will dissolve in hot water and the "mud" will sink to the bottom of the cup.

We call this "Turkish/Armenian/Arabic/Greek coffee" because that is how they drink it in those parts of the world.

It will be good and strong - you don't need much. Add a dash of sugar. Very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

How do you make good Levantine coffee without a cezve (an ibrik, or whatever you call it)?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    http://www.minimus.biz/

has all sorts of personal sized stuff, including coffee packets (which you can get at lots of grocery stores,too)
    Why have I not heard of this company before? Exactly what I need.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    ..... So I actually bring an old-fashioned pour-over coffee filter as one of a few luxury items in my bag.....

Found a little set of three of these in our grocery store. The middle size seems to fit over my old Sierra cup best. Does a pretty good job of filtering out the non settling grounds. Also doubles as a strainer to keep the floaties out of my water bottle. Just hold it in the flame from my alcohol stove to sterilize.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    002.jpg

Now this is way too funny. This is my stash at work. I only have one and when everyone else is running around complaining about someone forgot to buy coffee, I have my Taster's Choice.
    Rolls
    The columbian Taster's Choice IMHO is the second best instant next to Via.

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    I love the Folgers Black Silk.
    It is pretty good. It's my second choice, after starbucks via, based on taste. It's my first choice for best value--combo between taste and price.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

I do a two in one. I do my meal with my coffee, RAW protein or Raw Meal (a powdered meal option) and contains coffee from Marley Coffee who may have some instant options.

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    It is pretty good. It's my second choice, after starbucks via, based on taste. It's my first choice for best value--combo between taste and price.
    Which flavor of VIA do you all like? I have only tried the Italian. I like it. Curious to know what others think.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    Oh, good gracious! Why don't you hire a porter to hike with a portable coffee bean grinder and a solar powered espresso maker?

You're backpacking, not cruising on the Love Boat!

Just joking, I get pretty picky about certain things out there, too.

whats a Love Boat? isn't that for old people?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++