WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I think all the native americans and pioneers used 2 poles when they walked from one place to another back in the day. Didn't they?

my friend wadga is a pole. i respect her. i dont use her. i hike with a pole. i respect it too. its saved my life once. as i fell, it became a gaurdrail saveing me from an abyiss in the rodedendren ledges. bent like a bow and held strong.it was a 300 foot drop. no storebought walkin stick could have done that. ever. id be dead now. nuff said.
    matthewski

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Speer Carrier View Post
    I think all the native americans and pioneers used 2 poles when they walked from one place to another back in the day. Didn't they?
    In a word, no.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    In a word, no.

I was being facetious. Sorry it sailed over your head to the backstop.

I just sold 2 DB Trailbacks and purchased 1 DB Alpine Carbon Pole. 1 works for me.
    My name is Greg and I think I am becoming a gram weenie !

As a total noob to hiking and trailing, my view on this would be simply to have 2 an use as many at a given time as the situation my require - 1, both or none.

I tried two poles but found that one is much better for me. Recently, I found a nice hard oak pole that I have been using. I attach my Leki to my backpack in case the oak breaks. I think if two poles work for you, then go for it and if you only use one.....well go for that. I did find out that the oak pole I found slips on rocks and on some surfaces where the Leki grips very well. Who knows, I might get rid of the oak and just go with my Leki. My Leki definitely was a help hiking in the White Mountains last month.
    You only have one life; live it wisely.

Images

Two poles is better. They allow for better balace. They allow more means of catching yourself to avoid a fall. They allow you to use your upper body in bursts for acceleration and power as well as continually for improved endurance. They also help to absorb impact by landing before your lead foot when going downhill, thereby protecting your knees.

For me, two poles are a must.

If you are just using poles to hike, I would say it is a matter of preference. Some are coordinated enough to find that balance with two poles and two feet going at the same time, others like the more casual use of just one pole. Of course, if your poles are pulling double duty as tent poles, that is another matter.

That's ridiculous. They had to have one hand free for their cell phone.

Images

I need two poles for my tent.................see Lone Wolf's point, get that no poles keeps you dependent on you without two crutches.

A hiker I ran into in PA said "4 wheel drive", why go without it?

I have gone with none, one and two...................prefer hiking poles and need them for my tent so I carry.

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I hike with one pogo stick....and sing this jaunty tune...
    How can anyone be depressed listening to that?!

Regarding the whole one pole/two pole thing, what I wonder is that if two hiking poles are better than one, then three must be better than two, right?!

If you carry two, are you sure it's not just a proxy for a pair of crutches?

Images

never seen a 3 legged goat worth a damn

Images

then again, 90% were dead before they reached the age of 40.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bootbanger View Post
    I tried two poles but found that one is much better for me. Recently, I found a nice hard oak pole that I have been using. I attach my Leki to my backpack in case the oak breaks. I think if two poles work for you, then go for it and if you only use one.....well go for that. I did find out that the oak pole I found slips on rocks and on some surfaces where the Leki grips very well. Who knows, I might get rid of the oak and just go with my Leki. My Leki definitely was a help hiking in the White Mountains last month.
    You can get rubber crutch or cane tips at most drug stores. that will help that oak pole stick.

pun intended

Images

I bring two poles, if only one it might get lonely.

No POLES is better.

Bump for Sierra and any others on the subject of trekking poles. Funny how in such a short span they went from mysterious and silly to as important an item to check off your list as a pack or sleeping bag.

Not to pick on you red, and it may have been a joke, but you asked if trekking poles were for safety. Figured we could revisit an old subject that many find fun.

My thoughts if you're interested- if not nobody is holding a gun to your head.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    My thoughts if you're interested- if not nobody is holding a gun to your head.
    What if I am showing my mugger the latest WB posts? :P

Overall, nice summation on trekking poles. I think one of the best uses for trekking poles is to help on the downhills for those who don't have their trail legs yet. The tendons don't take that initial beating very well. (This generally does mean one is pushing too hard, too fast, but boy do I know a lot of prospective thrus who did this.)

JB, I completely agree with learning how to walk. Short version: taking a long stride and landing on a heel takes the body out of a stable position. A short stride with the leg landing under the body is more stable and results in a feather light step. I also find that it's just as fast and takes less leg muscle.

I use poles about half the time. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is using poles to cushion and swing high jumps down. This is likely a very bad idea, but I enjoy the challenge.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++