WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Differences in town people

We've probably all read that there is no free second cup of coffee north of Pennsylvania. On the other hand, there are probably kindnesses that are extended in the north that aren't characteristic in the south. AT hikers have opportunities to interact with people from Maine to Georgia, and are in a position to experience some of the differences in cultural patterns in Appalachian people that go back to the American Revolution or beyond. Without getting too judgmental, can we talk about some of our contacts that illustrate those differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Brushy Sage
    . Without getting too judgmental, can we talk about some of our contacts that illustrate those differences?
    In the south (excepting PA) there are far more pick-up trucks. That makes hitching alot easier. I'd prefer to put my stinky self in the bed of a pick-up than on the cloth seat of a Lexus. Fact is, I found hitching much easier in the south than in the north. FYI, hitching anyplace in New York can get you arrested.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    FYI, hitching anyplace in New York can get you arrested.
    Actually there are laws against hitching in all 13 states. In NY, you might be a terrorist. What's that in your pack, BOY.

Images

Angry hikerdude

Ya bunch of smelly bums and transients with your muddy boots get out of town. First how much money you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    Actually there are laws against hitching in all 13 states. In NY, you might be a terrorist. What's that in your pack, BOY.
    I have never been hasseled anywhere but New York. Then again Blue Jay, you have spent more time on the AT than I have.

The RTE 17 crossing near the entrance to Harriman State Park is one place to NEVER hitch. The Tuxedo/Ramapo police will break your chops BIG TIME. I know, they did it to me when I was badly dehydrated and sorely in need of fluids.

Images

In the south (excepting PA) ...
    WHUT??? Whar you frum, BOY???

Pennsylvania is in tha SOUTH??? I don't think so!

Having cleared THAT up ... I'll say that I met very nice folks in Maine when I was up there in September. Maine ain't part of the South too, is it?

Rain Man

I have never been hasseled anywhere but New York.
    I wasn't disagreeing with you. The only place I've ever been hasseled is in NY. When I did The Northville-Placid Trail, it was 3 miles into Blue Mountain Lake, NY (as wonderful a Trail Town as any on the AT). It was pouring rain and cold. A state trooper shadowed me the entire way making damn sure I didn't even try to get a ride.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I wasn't disagreeing with you. The only place I've ever been hasseled is in NY. When I did The Northville-Placid Trail, it was 3 miles into Blue Mountain Lake (as wonderful a Trail Town as any on the AT). It was pouring rain and cold. A state trooper shadowed me the entire way making damn sure I didn't even try to get a ride.

I feel much safer,
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Dayum Yaynkees.

In the south (excepting PA)
    You gotta remember, MOWGLI16 is from New Yawk

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man

I'll say that I met very nice folks in Maine when I was up there in September. Maine ain't part of the South too, is it?
    There are nice folks all along the trail. One of the nicest folks I met along the trail was a logger who picked me up in his 18-wheeler, and drove me into Andover, ME. So much for the idea that loggers and enviromental activist types can't get along.

My point about PA is that it is the exception to the pick-up truck rule. Pick-up trucks are most abundant in the south, and their frequency decreases the further north you go. PA, based on my experience there in 2000, has just about as many pick-up trucks as GA or TN.

Yeah, and I am a damn yankee. Sorry.

Images

I'd prefer to put my stinky self in the bed of a pick-up than on the cloth seat of a Lexus.
    I have never seen a Lexus with cloth seats. Do they even offer that as an option?

Default hospitality

Southerners are definitely more polite than Yankees. I've heard more people use "sir" and "ma'am" more in the South. Most Yankees are an oxymoron of "intelligent idiots." More book learning, but incredibly stupid in the friendly areas. I'm not being prejudiced, I used to be one of the ignorant Yankees now I'm an enlightened Yankee. I like my ice tea sweet and my grits buttered with real butter.

Quote Originally Posted by oyvay
    Southerners are definitely more polite than Yankees.
    That is often true, but not always. In the 18 months I have lived in Tennessee, I have had at least a half dozen Southerners describe southern hospitality as an inch deep, and a mile wide. Again, that is sometimes true, but not always.

I think the biggest difference between New Yorkers and Southerners is that in New York, having a direct communication style is considered an attribute. In the south, directness is frowned upon.

In other words, with Yankees, more often than not, what you see is what you get.

Images

Default We don't have Goody's Headache Powders, but ...

My point about PA is that it is the exception to the pick-up truck rule. Pick-up trucks are most abundant in the south, and their frequency decreases the further north you go. PA, based on my experience there in 2000, has just about as many pick-up trucks as GA or TN.
    And why is that? Because of the definition of "Pennsylvania":

Pittsburgh on one end, Philadelphia on the other end, and [Insert any southern state here] up the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    WHUT??? Whar you frum, BOY???

Pennsylvania is in tha SOUTH??? I don't think so!
    Ha, that's what I was thinking... doesn't matter to me anyway, I just got a chuckle from PA being in the South.
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

GAME 2000
    Images

Actually there are laws against hitching in all 13 states. ...
    For some reason I was under the impression that hitching was generally okay outside of city limits, but not necessarily inside city limits because of local ordinances.

Youngblood

Registered Troll
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSweetie
    Ha, that's what I was thinking... doesn't matter to me anyway, I just got a chuckle from PA being in the South.
    I used to react with disbelief when someone would say Virginia is in the South. Looking at a map from my perspective, it sure seems waaaay up north. Once, I even heard some idiot say Kentucky was a southern state!

Images

Pick-up trucks are most abundant in the south, and their frequency decreases the further north you go. PA, based on my experience there in 2000, has just about as many pick-up trucks as GA or TN.
    It increases again when you get into Maine, particularly northern Maine. It seems that nearly every other vehicle in Millinocket is a pickup truck.

Being born in Georgia, and having lived in Kentucky, I can agree that Kentucky is not a Southern State.

No offense intended to Dayum Yaynkees, BTW. Some of my best friends are Northern Aggressors.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++