WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    So what campgrounds do you guys plan on staying at before/after going up Big K.

Also What trail do you plan on Taking up big K?
    I have the same question.
    "Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

Planning a solo SOBO starting early-mid June. Anyone have more info on the black fly season up there? River crossings don't worry me.

Also, if anybody in NC/TN/VA is interested in training with me this spring, I will be doing lots of work in Linville Gorge and up on Grandfather Mtn.

The black fly season in the north woods as you have heard can be pretty brutal. Ive spent most of my summers up there, and the minute you step out of the car there will be multiple flies bothering you. They seem to occur more in sunny spots, but they do die down as the sun sets. Im planning on buying a head net to use when they get unbearable. In my opinion its not something to let ruin your hike, or determine when you start. Glad to see another early mid-June start by the way. Im shooting for the 12th -18th.

First post here. I'm getting married in June and my wife and I will be starting a SOBO hike in late June/early July. Probably going to start just south of New Hampshire and go all the way through Georgia. I'm also curious as to why some people prefer hiking SOBO? I'm only doing it because the wedding forces us to a later start date.

Images

SOBO is just another way to go as far as I'm concerned. I myself had rather be in the south once any form of cold weather hits. I'm really not sure yet how it'll all work out but come July I will be on the A.T. somewhere.

I will also be SOBOing, most likely starting mid-June. Due to a college schedule, a NOBO attempt would have to be super rushed and just didn't seem worth it. So SOBO it is!

:-)
    "Either that kid has a lightbulb up his butt, or his colon has a great idea!"

Quote Originally Posted by wvgrinder View Post
    I have the same question.

I dayhiked Katahdin this past summer to kind of check out the territory. We drove 8 hrs overnight to get there, hiked up the Abol Trail (6:30 am) and came down the Hunt Trail (done by 4:30 pm). It'll be much harder carting along 10 days worth of food, etc., but I intend to take that route again. It was a nice walk and I don't really like the idea of backtracking.

One thing I made a mental note of was don't put your sleeping pad on the bottom of your pack, because coming down the Hunt Trail we did a lot of sliding on our butts and my foam pad would be shredded to smithereens! (As you can tell, my technical climbing skills are excellent...NOT!)
    "Either that kid has a lightbulb up his butt, or his colon has a great idea!"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by littlefoot33 View Post
    It'll be much harder carting along 10 days worth of food, etc.,
    You can leave your pack at the ranger station and use a small daypack they provide when you sign in.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We stayed at Katahdin Stream before and after our hike up the big K. Need to reserve your spots ahead of time. We went up the Abol and down the Hunt. Took us 10 hours, had sleet and hail on the mtn.

I can tell you that leaving after July 1 will be tough to complete the trail before the snows and cold unless you are conscientious about hiking and limiting zeros = and can also do the first part of the trail faster than most did this past year.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Fain View Post
    Planning a solo SOBO starting early-mid June. Anyone have more info on the black fly season up there? River crossings don't worry me.

Also, if anybody in NC/TN/VA is interested in training with me this spring, I will be doing lots of work in Linville Gorge and up on Grandfather Mtn.
    I'm going SOBO mid-June as well; recently decided against a NOBO because of graduation. I go to school i SE VA; not sure how far that is from Linville Gorge.

Kind of disappointed to have to start later but going sobo will let me get my finances in order and avoid larger crowds. I'll be on top of Katahdin the second they let me up, screw the black flies I'm way too excited.

Default Jun 1st!

I ETS from the Army on May 11th. But I will be waiting in Maine for the word that baxter is open on June first!

Journal Entries
    Images

Iam doing a NoBo flip flop Live right here off the trail and want to see the trail in opposite directions and it makes more sence for me to fiinish at home.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

starting my SOBO the second week of June! WOOT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stiner View Post
    First post here. I'm getting married in June and my wife and I will be starting a SOBO hike in late June/early July. Probably going to start just south of New Hampshire and go all the way through Georgia. I'm also curious as to why some people prefer hiking SOBO? I'm only doing it because the wedding forces us to a later start date.
    Early congrats on the upcoming wedding! You will certainly get to know each other during your hike!

I attempted in 2007, completing 800 miles SOBO. Started June 1st in Southern Maine, (heading North), then flipped back SOBO after reaching Katahdin. I had plenty of trail support in ME, NH, VT, so took advantage and started SOBO. Not for everybody, but I enjoyed it immensely. If you need any help up this way (Maine), let me know. Good luck, God Bless!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Finishing my SOBO this April - just need to do PA and MD

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Hi! I'm starting SOBO the first week of July; tentatively planning for a 7/6 start date. I'll be hiking with my partner, my 11 year old daughter.

I'm SOBOing mid june (hopefully the 16th). Staying at the AT Lodge the night before and then headed to the big K that morning. Not sure what trail to take up, any suggestions?

Default Sobo

I will be SOBO in late July due to a wedding and other things going on. will start around the 25th or 26th of July. I still need/like a partner, PM me if interested.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Default Join Up

Quote Originally Posted by mam2372 View Post
    I still need/like a partner, PM me if interested.

A friend and I will be headed to K around that same time as well. Feel Free to join us!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++