WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My name is Andrew I am hiking with a buddy from high school. we plan to leave mid june once I graduate. Going SOBO because of the timing but I'm sure I will meet wonderful people on the trail! I cant wait and look forward to seeing everyone out there

Journal Entries

SOBO mid June. Will be walking home to Georgia! Can't wait.

I am leaning towards a SOBO in 2011. i am very amateur and in no way prepared as far as gear goes at this point. I am in decent shape. Now, as far as money goes..and maybe Ill find a topic that covers this as I continue looking around the site...but what kind of money am I needing to have saved for a thru hike?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by davenc View Post
    I am leaning towards a SOBO in 2011. i am very amateur and in no way prepared as far as gear goes at this point. I am in decent shape. Now, as far as money goes..and maybe Ill find a topic that covers this as I continue looking around the site...but what kind of money am I needing to have saved for a thru hike?
    To your left under home page....Read the articles about a thru hiike and the cost one as well....Also look at eh Article by SGT Rock on gear...That should be a good start for you...Also start a thread if you cant find answer...Cannt hurt but its a place for you to start...Also read some Trailjournals of thru hikers who made it and the weather they encountered..It will help you in your decisions...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

SOBOS are a proud little crew - you will find that the whole trail, trail - town expetations, hostels, data book, even blazes are pretty much set up with the NOBO in mind so sometimes you have to work a little harder to figure it all out - the south also can seem a little cold, gray, and lonely since there is not a big "thru-hiker-pack" as with NOBOS - there is definately the opportunity for more solitude and harmony with nature, there is not nearly the problem with shelter crowding and the South can be just beautiful in late Summer and early Fall. The SOBO crew becomes a really tight knit little crowd too - without offending anyone (I hope) SOBOS think of each other as more purposeful, proud, and determined clan of rebels (almost) - think of it as a much smaller, but closer, and even more kindred brotherhood and sisterhood. I southbounded right out of high school and did so mainly because my start date (June, '85) was pretty much set - this made a MEGA hike much more plausible to me at the time and it was a life-changing experience. I often do long 2-3 week section hikes north and south, but if I Thru-Hike again (and I may) I would go NOBO. As always, YOU hike YOUR OWN hike.

If you don't run, you rust

I am planning to NOBO from harper's ferry in June, then flop SOBO for a Springer finish in November. Any one else done this? Looking forward to seeing you all out there!

SOBO 2011!!! Starting mid-June and still looking for a partner

My name is Mike and I'm graduating in May so my friends Aaron and Nick from high school will be heading on a SOBO thru starting on June 15th (if all goes according to plan). We're some pretty crazy dudes who liked to have a good time , and I personally cannot wait to get this thing started (it has consumed me and is basically all I can think about day and night). It seems like a lot of people are leaving right around the same time so I look forward to meeting lots of cool new people and hopefully getting a good crew together for this awesome adventure. If anyone is looking for other people to start with on June 15th just PM me and we can figure everything out.

Can't wait! Flying to main on the 16th. Talked to the Appalachian Trail Lodge to sign up for the special and I'm finalizing my trails to head up big k. CAN'T WAIT!
    21.1% Done

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by davenc View Post

Around $4,000

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EBC View Post
    I am planning to NOBO from harper's ferry in June, then flop SOBO for a Springer finish in November. Any one else done this? Looking forward to seeing you all out there!
    Met several that did it in 2010 and some that finished. Go for it

Hiking Blog

Going SOBO and cant decide what degree of bag I will need. Leaving mid-june, I Figure I could get away with a higher degree bag than NOBO hikers because it will be warmer in the South, any thoughts?

The further North u get the more most things cost so im not sure why u think you'll save more money going sobo....anywho best of luck and enjoy. My trip last year was the gretest experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ajakob88 View Post
    Going SOBO and cant decide what degree of bag I will need. Leaving mid-june, I Figure I could get away with a higher degree bag than NOBO hikers because it will be warmer in the South, any thoughts?
    It can get very cold in Maine, even in June. Also, chances are that the end of your hike will be quite cold.

SOBO early July 2011! Coming all the way from England and might be doing it alone - in your experience guys, will there enough people on the Trail at that time to tag along with a few days?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ajakob88 View Post

I blogged on this very topic -

http://www.blissfulhiking.blogspot.com

Hiking Blog

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrMuscle(?) View Post
    SOBO early July 2011! Coming all the way from England and might be doing it alone - in your experience guys, will there enough people on the Trail at that time to tag along with a few days?

Yes until the middle of Maine, then they tend to spread out quickly.

Hiking Blog

Quote Originally Posted by KUNU View Post
    My name is Mike and I'm graduating in May so my friends Aaron and Nick from high school will be heading on a SOBO thru starting on June 15th (if all goes according to plan). We're some pretty crazy dudes who liked to have a good time , and I personally cannot wait to get this thing started (it has consumed me and is basically all I can think about day and night). It seems like a lot of people are leaving right around the same time so I look forward to meeting lots of cool new people and hopefully getting a good crew together for this awesome adventure. If anyone is looking for other people to start with on June 15th just PM me and we can figure everything out.
    I took my eye off this sobo thread for a week and man it has exploded. Me and my younger brother are both graduating, and will be starting around the same time. June (11-15) We also like to have a good time.

I too think about it night and day, and im very happy to see all these mid june start dates. The more the better

I'll be heading SOBO in late June/early July. See you all on the trail!

My brother and i are planning on thru hiking sobo towards the end of june, after bonnaroo of course

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++