WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Oh how I wish I could go to Bonnaroo again!...last year I went for the first time and it was amazing...unfortunately all of my extra loot will be going into my AT fund this year so unless I run into a lot of extra money I am going to miss it
    ...at least I will have the AT to console me

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ajakob88 View Post
    Going SOBO and cant decide what degree of bag I will need. Leaving mid-june, I Figure I could get away with a higher degree bag than NOBO hikers because it will be warmer in the South, any thoughts?
    I went SOBO starting on June 14. I used a 30 degree bag until Daleville, VA (October 12) and then a 15 degree bag the rest of the way. This setup worked well for me, but I would have been quite uncomfortable in the 30 degree bag if I had waited much longer to swap it out.

I knew several SOBOs who used a 20 degree bag from start to finish.

I very much wish i could go to all good again. Will just be way to far north for it to make sense. I'm considering going to that festival down in Connecticut at the end of July. Just gotta figure out how to get a bus/ride outta southern vt or somewhere in mass.

Going SOBO leaving mid-june and hope to finish late Nov early Dec, what clothing should I pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    I very much wish i could go to all good again. Will just be way to far north for it to make sense. I'm considering going to that festival down in Connecticut at the end of July. Just gotta figure out how to get a bus/ride outta southern vt or somewhere in mass.
    What festival is that? Sounds like a good idea to me if the price is reasonable.

Hi all, Starting at Baxter on june 1st.

Is there any resources available that describes what weather to expect (and what to pack) for a SOBO-er that leaves kath on june1st and hopes to arrive at Springer late sept?

Hello everyone!

I'm leaving from Katahdin for Springer sometime in June. I have a few reasons for wanting to go SOBO... First off, my semester doesn't end until May. Second, I live in New Hampshire, so getting to Baxter won't be any problem at all. Lastly, I like to do things differently!
    This is gonna be my first big hike. Longest I've done so far is eight hours on Franconia Ridge (Mt. Lafayette, NH). I've also done a bit of camping. Definitely feel I am ready to tackle this and it's a perfect spot in my life. Probably continue working on my Bachelors in Spring '12 when I get back.
    Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all on the trail! Good luck everyone!!!

BTW, anyone looking for a hiking partner?

-Trevor

Since there are a bunch of us all leaving around the same time I was wondering what trails you all where planing on going up when you mount Big K.
    21.1% Done

Quote Originally Posted by NHTrev View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm leaving from Katahdin for Springer sometime in June. I have a few reasons for wanting to go SOBO... First off, my semester doesn't end until May. Second, I live in New Hampshire, so getting to Baxter won't be any problem at all. Lastly, I like to do things differently!
    This is gonna be my first big hike. Longest I've done so far is eight hours on Franconia Ridge (Mt. Lafayette, NH). I've also done a bit of camping. Definitely feel I am ready to tackle this and it's a perfect spot in my life. Probably continue working on my Bachelors in Spring '12 when I get back.
    Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all on the trail! Good luck everyone!!!

BTW, anyone looking for a hiking partner?

-Trevor
    Heya, I'll be arriving in Maine sometime in the last few days of May and be starting june1st.

If you'll be out at the same time, I could do with a partner to keep me company for the 100mile wilderness.

Hi all, I kinda need some help!

I arrive in Bangor at 2230 local time on Wed 1st June. Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay nearby?

I couldn't get an earlier flight

Southbounders......Check out www.100milewilderness.info for detailed information on the first 100 miles of your epic journey. Mid-Wilderness resupply, shuttles and accomodations available for long distance hikers.

Default Sobo 2011

Just decided to move my 2012 AT Thru Hike to 2011. It could not wait. I'll be southbound and I should be on Katahdin on June 1st (two weeks after I graduate college!).

Looking forward to experiencing the trail with you guys. Very glad to see so many of you will be out there. Only 5% of the SOBO's that started in 2010 finished at Springer. Lets change that.

Quote Originally Posted by KUNU View Post
    Oh how I wish I could go to Bonnaroo again!...last year I went for the first time and it was amazing...unfortunately all of my extra loot will be going into my AT fund this year so unless I run into a lot of extra money I am going to miss it
    ...at least I will have the AT to console me
    dont worry there are a few chances for phish for you as a sobo but thts diff thn roo but

Quote Originally Posted by Kepley View Post
    Just decided to move my 2012 AT Thru Hike to 2011. It could not wait. I'll be southbound and I should be on Katahdin on June 1st (two weeks after I graduate college!).

Looking forward to experiencing the trail with you guys. Very glad to see so many of you will be out there. Only 5% of the SOBO's that started in 2010 finished at Springer. Lets change that.
    Hiya, I land june 1st nighttime and aiming to 'do' kathadin on the 3rd. Hopefully I bump into you somewhere in the wilderness.

Unfortunately, I could only get a visa for 90days, so I won't be doing much to improve the SOBO completion rate!

I'm doing a one month SOBO section from Katahdin starting late July. Starting to wonder if I'm going to see any other human beings on the trail, as everybody seems to be leaving in June and early July.

Default later start

Quote Originally Posted by seabrookhiker View Post
    I'm doing a one month SOBO section from Katahdin starting late July. Starting to wonder if I'm going to see any other human beings on the trail, as everybody seems to be leaving in June and early July.
    I plan to hike SOBO from Katahdin to Harper's Ferry. I will be starting no sooner than the 3rd week of July. There's another guy on here that plans on leaving around the 22nd-24th-and he may have a partner.

We'll have some company. But most will be going the other direction.
    "Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

Well, cool! I had enough alone time on the trail last year, I'm looking forward to some company at shelters.

Default Sobo, July 15th

Hey everyone just wanted to post here and say that my sobo thruhike is set. If circumstances permit I'll be traveling with "chicken hawk" my golden retriever. Hope to see you all on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by KUNU View Post
    My name is Mike and I'm graduating in May so my friends Aaron and Nick from high school will be heading on a SOBO thru starting on June 15th (if all goes according to plan). We're some pretty crazy dudes who liked to have a good time , and I personally cannot wait to get this thing started (it has consumed me and is basically all I can think about day and night). It seems like a lot of people are leaving right around the same time so I look forward to meeting lots of cool new people and hopefully getting a good crew together for this awesome adventure. If anyone is looking for other people to start with on June 15th just PM me and we can figure everything out.

Yeah, I am just graduating high school too, and starting on the same date. I am hoping to tag along with people I meet during that time through most of Maine until my buddy can meet up with me to finish the trail off. Hope to see you out there!

Also, I can't decide how to go up. I want to try and stay at Chimney Pond on the North side of the Big K and day hike the knifes edge, and then start the At the next day. Otherwise I'll have to make base camp at KSC and leave my pack at the Rangers Station. Anybody have advice on this?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L1F31SG00D View Post

Also, I can't decide how to go up. I want to try and stay at Chimney Pond on the North side of the Big K and day hike the knifes edge, and then start the At the next day. Otherwise I'll have to make base camp at KSC and leave my pack at the Rangers Station. Anybody have advice on this?
    I talk about this very subject on my hiking blog.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++