WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No More Phone

Journal Entries
    Images

Default No More Phone

I am discontinuing the free phone service. Although I will let you use my phone if you need too, I am just removing the phone from the porch.

Time changes things.....

Probably wasn't getting too much use except from iPhone users since AT&T doesn't know Damascus exists.

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    Probably wasn't getting too much use except from iPhone users since AT&T doesn't know Damascus exists.
    more than likely it was getting overused and abused by freeloaders taking advantage of his kindness

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    more than likely it was getting overused and abused by freeloaders taking advantage of his kindness
    No doubt...
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

I for one appreciated the phone, Thanks for providing this service for us TOW!! BTW; My wife also says thank you for allowing me to call!

SOAP BOX TIME:
    For those who will not get to use this service, thank those who abused the privilege before you got to your hike, and keep it in mind for future hikers when you feel the "Need" to abuse the services on the AT.
    When you don't leave a donation at a hostel, remember how you felt when other "Donation only" services were not available anymore because of such abuses. Leave no trace can also be applied to the services along the trail, If you would not pick a flower so those behind you can also enjoy it, Don't skip out without paying for services for the same reason. If you wouldn't leave a 'Lincoln log" in a spring, observe the "Quiet time" at facilities.

Off my soap box now.

Anyway, thanks again Larry.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Thanks for letting me use your phone even if David did not return the call.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    I am discontinuing the free phone service. Although I will let you use my phone if you need too, I am just removing the phone from the porch.

Time changes things.....
    TOW last May after Trail Days, I was in Abingdon and happened upon the local newspaper - I forget whether it was current or a few months old (I was in a coffeehouse). Anyway, the paper included a letter to the editor thanking "Larry" in Damascus for making the phone available and saying how nice the gesture was, solidifying Damascus's reputation as the friendliest trail town.

Being pretty sure "Larry" was you, I thought about reporting this on WB at the time but I wasn't sure you wanted the publicity on an open internet forum.

Thanks for providing the service to hikers and I hope they didn't abuse it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    This what happens to people that try to be kind, I think most everyone will be understanding to why had to remove it.

Journal Entries
    Images

There was some abuse, like long distance over seas calls to Europe that hurt my pocket book. And with no or little donations coming in as a whole the expense of keeping this service up is beyond my budget in these hard economical times. I've gotten behind in some payments on bills and I have to cut corners some place.

So really that is the reason I am shutting the phone down. I truly wish I could keep it up because I have truly enjoyed meeting quite a few of you and others from all over the world.

If my business picks up and I am able to pull thru I will most likely replace this service.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    TOW last May after Trail Days, I was in Abingdon and happened upon the local newspaper - I forget whether it was current or a few months old (I was in a coffeehouse). Anyway, the paper included a letter to the editor thanking "Larry" in Damascus for making the phone available and saying how nice the gesture was, solidifying Damascus's reputation as the friendliest trail town.

Being pretty sure "Larry" was you, I thought about reporting this on WB at the time but I wasn't sure you wanted the publicity on an open internet forum.

Thanks for providing the service to hikers and I hope they didn't abuse it.
    Wow, I never knew about that, thanx for sharing this.

When it comes to being of service to others just do it, this was not about being popular for me. It was about doing something positive so that I could meet others. Besides when you do a kindness for others you never know what seeds you planted will bloom into another flower of some sorts..............

That's why you should never feed the bears. Capitalism maintains a balance. Unfettered access creates anarchy.

Images

Thanks, TOW, for all you have done for hikers. I still hope to meet you one of these days.
    - Duffy
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Journal Entries
    Images

I have decided to keep the phone going.

I began the process of shutting it down but there are so many locals and folks who have come here to ride the Creeper Trail that have used the phone since I began the service that have wanted to use it since I posted this that I have had a change of mind.

I can keep paying the bill or I could just buy a calling card and let people use that instead? I need some input here.......

Images

I have been to Damascus several times but have never used the service but have always been impressed with the gesture.

Personally I would purchase one of these pay phones:
    http://www.payphoneproducts.com/product_ct_818.shtml

It allows for credit card calls, programmable so no calls to Europe and I think you can set the cost per call or free calls.
    WalkingStick"75"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    Verizon was hit and miss also.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

You should be able to call your service provider and tell them to block all over seas call to and from. That would help with the extra charge problem.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Expanding on the above post...

You can block ALL long distance service on your phone, so that only those with a valid calling card can make calls outside your area. Just call the phone company that provides your landline phone service.

This will of course mean you will need a calling card. Search the internet for the best deals.

Always enjoyed visiting with you, phone or no phone. Didn't make it to TD this year because we were swamped with work, and building a new beach house (finally done 7/29/10!!!). Maybe 2011?

How about a little jar next to the phone
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    How about a little jar next to the phone
    larry has tried that.
    you know the coin operated showers. put in coin, turn dial got 5 minutes. something like that for the phone
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    You should be able to call your service provider and tell them to block all over seas call to and from. That would help with the extra charge problem.
    I did that but calls still got thru, the phone company says if you know the numbers to dial in it will go thru. On the other hand I have not had any more calls over seas for a a while now...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++