WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Did anybody lose a tent this weekend?

Near roan? Because I found it and would like to give it back to you.

Images

Like Duhhhh...... Could you please identify it so I can tell you if it's mine....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Sure! It's nylon and it's been cleverly sewn together with thread. Oh yeah. There's some metal stakes with it too. Hope this helps you!

Images

Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Was it an Ozark Trail? That's the only tent I find on the trail.

That's pretty classy of you to try to return it.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Mom of Future Thru-Hiker docllamacoy's Avatar
    Images

Hi Beth!

(aka Leslie O'Dell)
    Llama, of Doc, Llama & Coy

hey llama! when are you coming back this way? didn't you move closer?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    Sure! It's nylon and it's been cleverly sewn together with thread. Oh yeah. There's some metal stakes with it too. Hope this helps you!
    What? No poles? Can't be mine then.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    What? No poles? Can't be mine then.
    Oh I forgot! It has poles!

Images

Wow, That sounds more and more like mine. Was this one that you found all set up or all packed up. If it was packed up it was probably mine.....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

What's the inseam? Oh, wait, wrong thread.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

The only way I can really tell though is if you send me a picture of it. you should tape it (the picture) to a hundred dollar bill so I know you are authentic.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    What's the inseam? Oh, wait, wrong thread.
    That line will never grow old......

Default pack it out?

Kanga, I commend you for packing out a tent. On a section hike just south of Sam's gap earlier this year I came upon not 1 but 2 tents on the trail. This was about mid March, so the snow was still pretty deep. There had been a big snow a night or two before. The first tent was a big Wenzel, soaking wet. I always inspect gear I find to see if I might want it. I couldn't find anything wrong with the tent, but it was too big, wet and heavy for me to take, so I just took the stuff sack. A couple miles later I came upon a whole camp site which had been obviously abandoned in a hurry. There was a tent, sleeping bag and lots of other gear too. The sleeping bag was an Eddie Baurer down bag, very nice, but soaked and way too heavy for me scavenge. Further down the trail I met 2 guys going south. They told me they were going to retrieve the gear of a friend who got wet and cold the night before and walked out leaving everything behind. He left a camera, phone and everything else he didn't need to walk out. He left in the middle of the night according to them. The camera and phone were gone by the time I got there. They said he was a newbie to hiking, and that was his first (and last I suspect) hiking trip. It is amazing sometimes what you find on the trail.
    Cedar Tree

This must be like the tent I found at Stover Creek .I packed it up,packed it out,and placed it in the first dumster wher it belonged along with the other 20 items they left?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post
    Kanga, I commend you for packing out a tent. On a section hike just south of Sam's gap earlier this year I came upon not 1 but 2 tents on the trail. This was about mid March, so the snow was still pretty deep. There had been a big snow a night or two before. The first tent was a big Wenzel, soaking wet. I always inspect gear I find to see if I might want it. I couldn't find anything wrong with the tent, but it was too big, wet and heavy for me to take, so I just took the stuff sack. A couple miles later I came upon a whole camp site which had been obviously abandoned in a hurry. There was a tent, sleeping bag and lots of other gear too. The sleeping bag was an Eddie Baurer down bag, very nice, but soaked and way too heavy for me scavenge. Further down the trail I met 2 guys going south. They told me they were going to retrieve the gear of a friend who got wet and cold the night before and walked out leaving everything behind. He left a camera, phone and everything else he didn't need to walk out. He left in the middle of the night according to them. The camera and phone were gone by the time I got there. They said he was a newbie to hiking, and that was his first (and last I suspect) hiking trip. It is amazing sometimes what you find on the trail.
    Cedar Tree
    Thank you! Law, I might have had to suck it up for that Eddie bauer bag! I dried out the tent the night I got there so it wouldn't weigh 500 lbs on the way back out. It's a really nice tent and it's brand spanking new, probably it's first nigt in the woods! somebody's got to be missing this tent!

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    This must be like the tent I found at Stover Creek .I packed it up,packed it out,and placed it in the first dumster wher it belonged along with the other 20 items they left?
    Ooh no! Not like that! If nobody claims this tent, I'm a-keepin' it!

Images

Default Dumb question

I am asking this question out of ignorance - so if it sounds stupid, forgive me.

What is the etiquette on things left on the trail? for example, if i leave stuff on the trail with the intention of coming back, what do I do?

On one hand I don't want stuff left on the trail too long - because it is unsightly and becomes litter, but it is not a free for all either. Right? Isn't there a fine line between picking up litter and scavenging?

If you are leaving something with the intention of coming back to get it, then hide it so it doesn't get taken. I personally think somebody that leaves their stuff unattended is a dumbass. You are asking for your stuff to get gone. I could understand maybe if you're injured.
    If you are leaving something because you are lazy, I think you should be shot in the ass with a bb gun that has been pumped 13 times.

Go Kanga Go! No one should ever leave Gear on the trail. It then becomes trash!I had a real interesting conversation with a newbe at Hawk Mtn this spring about there is no such thing as a hiker box @ the shelters.There is no way to manage the trash ,much less the gear people seem to want to leave.As you plan your hike ,pack it in --pack it out. And have a good hike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++