WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Looking for a hiking partner

I have been thinking about hiking the trail for a long time. I'm a 60 yr. old retired school teacher and if I'm going to do the trail it is now.
    However, I am looking for someone to hike it with. Does anyone know where I can look or if you are interested please email me.
    Thanks

I just started hiking this year, after 30 years of dreaming about the AT. I've been doing day hikes this year, and dealing with injuries. I want to thru-hike in 2011. Trying to get myself ready, in spite of osteoporosis and mild emphysema. I just go a little slower than most and stop to rest a little more often. I'm up to 8 miles a day in Boone-Blowing Rock NC area, fairly strenous.
    Just go for it. Start slow on whatever trails you can find in your area. I would prefer a buddy to hike with but if I sat around and waited on a partner, I'd never get anywhere!! Don't be afraid to go by yourself. It will give you more confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistie View Post
    I have been thinking about hiking the trail for a long time. I'm a 60 yr. old retired school teacher and if I'm going to do the trail it is now.
    However, I am looking for someone to hike it with. Does anyone know where I can look or if you are interested please email me.
    Thanks
    Misti

You might try the Hooking up thread. I will be starting April 1, 2011 myself.

Tumbleweed

Are you looking for a partner? I'm in fairly good shape now and working on more. I have been going to the gym, cycling...did 70 miles this week and a little jogging and lots of walking.
    If you want to hook up just let me know. I'm in New Jersey....I have been told I make a good hiking partner. I've already done most of PA, NJ, NY, Conn. and a short distance in Mass.
    Let me know.

Hi Mistie,

Are you going North or South? I would be interested in Northbound. Let me know.

HiKen2011

Either way is good for me. I just hate the cold, but I can deal with it. Let's connect.

I don't mind hiking alone, I hike and camp on a regular basis during the summer. I would really prefer to have someone to hike with. I find it more enjoyable and it is nice to be able to share certain items to reduce pack weight. Also, most of my backpacker's pantry meals are designed for two. I'll be leaving NOBO early to mid March. I am a 37 y/o professional photographer and do make occasional photo stops but can catch up at lunch or in the evening. Feel free to contact me.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Hey, Mistie! Looks like you are having some good responses. Is it possible that you will be moving south like in Pennsylvania or Virginia? And might you be interested in some bicycle touring in prep?--KInnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Thanks
    Mistie, you can post in and also reply to the "Hooking Up" forum here on Whiteblaze. This is for people looking for hiking partners. Also the thread "2011 Thru-Hike Registry" is for people who are planning and announcing their intentions to thru-hike next year(season). I don't know wether or not you are planning to thru-hike, but if you are you can check there and maybe find someone who you can go with. Good Luck

Where ever you go on the AT you will meet wonderful and helpful folks. Use common sense and trust your gut instincts. Have a great hike.

Images

Are you looking for a partner? I'm in fairly good shape now and working on more. I have been going to the gym, cycling...did 70 miles this week and a little jogging and lots of walking.
    If you want to hook up just let me know. I'm in New Jersey....I have been told I make a good hiking partner. I've already done most of PA, NJ, NY, Conn. and a short distance in Mass.
    Let me know.
    Mistie, I'm near the Jersey shore and always looking for hiking partners for the training hikes I've been doing around the Delaware Water Gap area. I also do local hikes in the hilly parks around here, averaging about 6 mi/day and can do 8-12 mile day hikes. There's a 50-50 chance I will be doing a NOBO thru-hike in 2011, and I want to be ready for it if things fall in place. So if your looking for a training partner, I would be happy to join. I just can't guarantee the thru hike yet.
    Simple is good.

Hello Mistie and others. I am considering a 2011 nobo starting midMarch. Would be interested in starting out with hiking companions. I have also been a teacher.

Hi Mistie and others,
    I'm 54 and am hoping to do a thru hike in 2011. Am interested in partners as well, am located in VA near the SNP and Charlottesville, looking for people to do local training hikes with, chat, support, etc. Please connect...

Dear Hawks,

I am 52 yo and I am section hiking in Virginia. I am up for any part you are interested in going. I have already finished Map 1 of Southern Virginia, but there are lots of trails still out there. I just need 45 days lead time to arrange my work schedule. Let me know.

I am available whenever you are. My start date doesn't mean much to me. Have pack will travel. I am pretty light on my feet, making miles is not important.

white blazes, magic places northernstorm's Avatar

Let me know.
    hi mistie. i am leaving in between march 5th or the 14th. i live in cold spring NY. maybe my wife and i can meet up with ya sometime.

Agreed..do it now. I had to put it off and now, at 65, I'm finally going (2011). Am doing 7-9 mi hikes with light pack, working my way up. Also biking, and getting back to trail running. I can build up the distance but we're short on mountains. Planning to head to NC, near Boone, for part of Oct and Nov to do some hiking.

Registered User lonewolftrekker's Avatar

Hey Mistie having Noboed this year and going thru again next year, let me say there will be somany people out there a partner shouldnt be much of a concern.. I went solo this year and had somebody nearby at a steady constant... hikers will always be there.
    stumbling goes the hippie.
    howling goes the wolf.
    i am stumble wolf

Are you a thru hiker??? or a Section Hiker??

Images

Hi Mistie,
    I'm not a hiking partner - but you may likely have taught my kids! We lived in PP for many years. Just wanted to say "Hi, and enjoy your hike."
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++