WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Should Dogs be allowed on the AT?

Voters
444. This poll is closed
  • No, I'm tired of stinking, muddy, noisy dogs in the shelters and on the trail.

183 41.22%
  • Yes

261 58.78%
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Dog Poll...Should they be allowed on the AT?

I think its time to Poll other hikers concerning the matter of dogs on the AT. Out of concern for wildlife(spread of Parvo from dogs) and respect to other hikers a vote should be taken. PS: I do have a dog, he stays at home (because of these concerns).
    Last edited by Ridge; 11-10-2004 at 22:02. Reason: more info

Registered Troll
    Images

Thumbs down No

Dogs don't belong on the AT or any hiking trail. There's sort of a regression that takes place with dog and owner when in the wild. A couple years ago, I was hiking to a hotspring when a couple allowed their dog to intimidate me at a trail junction just to prove a point. These jerks were also camping "next" to the hotspring.

I got my revenge by hiking out the next day, opening their car, taking a dump on the drivers seat and pissing on the passenger seat. I wanted to make their experience as nice as mine. I actually have a friend who shot and killed two charging dobermans at a state park. The owners were pissed but had no recourse; he only got a $50 fine for shooting a gun at the park.

I guess that was the 21st repetition of this tired story lacking in credibility.

Images

I have a dog but I don't feel compelled to take it with me. Some may have tame dogs that are very obedient, but I find that those are the exception to the rule.

In the GSMNP if I'm not mistaken you are not supposed to take dogs on the trails. It didn't stop one guy that we met at Double Springs Shelter. He was asleep in the shelter with the large german shepherd and the bear gate was closed. The dog growled menacingly at anyone who got near the shelter. The guy sleeping in there was taking a nap in the middle of the day. If I did have a reason to want to go into the shelter, I would not have felt comfortable doing so.
    As far as adhering to LNT principles, do those who take their dogs on the trail bury their waste?

American Idiot
    Images

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/gsmsite/justforfun.html#hiking

Info on pets in GSMNP. I like dogs and petting other dogs I come across on the trail.
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    I guess that was the 21st repetition of this tired story lacking in credibility.
    Always the same rendition, word for word, too. I like the "I actually have a friend..." part.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

No.
    Leave Fido at home.

GAME 2000
    Images

This issue is more complex than you seem to realize. We share trails with day hikers, tourist, hunters, etc... it might be more correct to say that they share trail with us because we are probably in the minority. They could take a poll and maybe banish the smelly backpackers that go days/weeks without bathing and are always looking for handouts, rides into town, etc.

Youngblood

Default Hot Button Issue

Dogs are a hot button issue. And most of us who have been out on the trail for any length of time have probably had some bad experiences with dogs that were not properly restrained. But I suspect that these are the exception rather than the rule.

So, banning dogs entirely is a little like banning all thru-hikers because of the actions of a few.

For what it's worth, most dog owners that I met on the trail have been very considerate, and if it looked like there might be a problem, they simply moved on without asking.

Default Dogs on Trail YES!

Of course people should be allowed to bring dogs on the trail.

However; if you fail to control your dog I have no problems with killing and grilling.

Kagogi yum yum!

Tu

Images

Default No dogs

I am opposed to people taking dogs on the trail. My cat doesn't like them.

Journal Entries
    Images

Reave Rover Rat Rome! Roof-Roof! [/
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks
    Dogs are a hot button issue. And most of us who have been out on the trail for any length of time have probably had some bad experiences with dogs that were not properly restrained. But I suspect that these are the exception rather than the rule.

So, banning dogs entirely is a little like banning all thru-hikers because of the actions of a few.

For what it's worth, most dog owners that I met on the trail have been very considerate, and if it looked like there might be a problem, they simply moved on without asking.
    Good point Peaks.

Try walking 2176 miles on back roads from GA to ME, and see how many dog encounters you have. Thats one reason I hate road walks. Especially in the south. Grrrrrrr.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

You're never going to be able to stop stupid people from doing anything, including bringing dogs who don't belong on the trail out on the trail (and I agree that that includes MOST dogs). However banning dogs on the AT is NOT the solution. The AT is thankfully located in America and stupid, sweeping bans like that are not what this country is about.

My dog Buddy completed the CAT (Canine Appalachian Trail) this year and did a great job. He didn't intimidate or poop on anyone or sloppy anyone up. He is polite and wonderful. At least according to the feedback that I received, everyone who met Buddy was delighted to have had the opportunity to have done so; even those who "hate dogs."

I wish people would stop trying to "ban" everything. Just relax. The AT is a long trail. I met some dogs that sucked, but I din't let it ruin my whole trail experience! I also met osme people I didn't like and some weather I didn't like and went to some towns I didn't like and there were some parts of the trail that sucked, but overall it was the single most incredible experience of my life.

If you let an interaction with a dog or whatever ruin the trail for you, then I feel sorry for you.

Oh, but we should definitely ban those pesky rattlesnakes, right?
    History will not judge us on our so called "progress," but on what we allow to endure.

Well, certainly there is no need for a ban, but dog owners need to assess their dogs and their own ability to control their dogs. If your dog is well trained and friendly, then there should be no problem unless you run into someone who REALLY hates dogs. If your dog isn't well trained or has the tendency to be really friendly to people they meet, they shouldn't be on the trail. Some people who say they were "attacked" by a dog are just being over-dramatic about a super-friendly dog.

However, when I remember going around a bend in the trail just north of Neel's Gap and seeing a dog owner allowing their animal to take a s@#t in the middle of the trail makes me want to forget what I just said.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wicked Lobstah
    Wrong, I'll take rattlesnakes any day. I've seen hundreds of them over the years both on the AT and in the Adirondacks. They are very consistent in their behavior. You leave them alone, they leave you alone. In fact, I have seen fools bother them and all they want to do is get away. Dogs can wag their tails one minute and sink their teeth into you the next. Dog People have absolutely no clue or care that they cause terror in people who have previously been attacked by dogs. Rattlesnakes are a thousand times superior to dogs and dog people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wicked Lobstah

"When all the dangerous cliffs are fenced off, all of the trees that might fall on people are cut down, all of the insects that bite are poisoned....and all of the grizzlies are dead because they are occasionally dangerous, the wilderness will not be made safe. Rather the safety will have destroyed the wilderness." - R. Yorke Edwards
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy
    Well, certainly there is no need for a ban, but dog owners need to assess their dogs and their own ability to control their dogs. If your dog is well trained and friendly, then there should be no problem unless you run into someone who REALLY hates dogs.
    Yeah, what he said. No seriously, if bringing a dog on the trail I would be prepared to have some people not be very happy about it. Obviously from the poll most feel like they should not be brought along. Even if your dog if friendly, what if someone whacks it with a trek pole or sprays pepper spray on it because the dog acted in some way that frightened them? Just because the owner knows the dog is friendly doesn't mean that everyone else does.

American Idiot
    Images

Well I think just the dog being there is enough to send some people over the brink, even without him barking, snarling, etc. Others don't understand dog behavior, hence the "smile at you one minute, and seek their teeth into you the next". And before some of you have grand delusions of kicking/shooting/pepper spray/trekking pole the dog, realize the owner probably views that dog like a child of their own and will respond accordingly.
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil Pusher
    Well I think just the dog being there is enough to send some people over the brink, even without him barking, snarling, etc. Others don't understand dog behavior, hence the "smile at you one minute, and seek their teeth into you the next". And before some of you have grand delusions of kicking/shooting/pepper spray/trekking pole the dog, realize the owner probably views that dog like a child of their own and will respond accordingly.
    Bring'em on!
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++